<!--X-TopPNI-->

Date:&nbsp;
[&nbsp;<a href="msg01121.html">Previous</a>
&nbsp;|&nbsp;<a href="msg01123.html">Next</a>
&nbsp;]
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Thread:&nbsp;
[&nbsp;<a href="msg01116.html">Previous</a>
&nbsp;|&nbsp;<a href="msg01165.html">Next</a>
&nbsp;]
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Index:&nbsp;
[&nbsp;<A HREF="author.html#01122">Author</A>
&nbsp;|&nbsp;<A HREF="#01122">Date</A>
&nbsp;|&nbsp;<A HREF="thread.html#01122">Thread</A>
&nbsp;]

<!--X-TopPNI-End-->
<!--X-MsgBody-->
<!--X-Subject-Header-Begin-->
<H1>[MUD-Dev] Re: META: What are you looking for in this list?</H1>
<HR>
<!--X-Subject-Header-End-->
<!--X-Head-of-Message-->
<UL>
<LI><em>To</em>: <A HREF="mailto:mud-dev#kanga,nu">mud-dev#kanga,nu</A></LI>
<LI><em>Subject</em>: [MUD-Dev] Re: META: What are you looking for in this list?</LI>
<LI><em>From</em>: Hal Black &lt;<A HREF="mailto:hal#moos,ml.org">hal#moos,ml.org</A>&gt;</LI>
<LI><em>Date</em>: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 00:20:08 -0400</LI>
<LI><em>Reply-To</em>: <A HREF="mailto:mud-dev#kanga,nu">mud-dev#kanga,nu</A></LI>
</UL>
<!--X-Head-of-Message-End-->
<!--X-Head-Body-Sep-Begin-->
<HR>
<!--X-Head-Body-Sep-End-->
<!--X-Body-of-Message-->
<PRE>
Dual reply here.  First for Raph's issues:

&gt; I am somewhat curious, because I know that there are a lot of people on
&gt; the list who just listen but do not post much. I was wondering about
&gt; those people, and what they are interested in seeing on the list.

For me, I am still digging through the 10,000 posts or so in the archive to
see if any of my concerns have been discussed, as well as reading the current
posts.

Also, it is has been rather remarkable lately.  As I was starting to write the
client-server architecture part, I thought "Hmm, how do I deal with this
blocking I/O."  And at that very time, the same thread popped up unprompted!
This happened a couple more times on other topics as well, the most startling
was the mention of the book "Permutation City" - the only book on my bookshelf
that I haven't read after finishing a book the night before, and not only that,
a book that my girlfriend selected at random to purchase.  Freaky.  And yes,
it is very good and seems pertinent so far.  8')

&gt; How many of you are from a Diku background, like me? And might be

I have an LP background.

&gt; interested in stuff that is codebase specific? How many find that stuff
&gt; anathema and think it should be avoided at all costs? How many think the

I personally am not interested in any codebase-specific stuff (but language-
specific stuff is good).  I also don't think it is anathema, I can choose not
to read the thread pretty easily.

On the other hand, I really enjoy hearing the anecdotes about what people
have tried on their muds in a general sense.  The experiments with UO and
M59 and the reactions by players give me a lot of insight.  I think that is
an invaluable part of the list, because anyone here can find and read the
volumes on technical topics and make a fine program, but what makes this list
special is these GAME DESIGN issues that you just have to learn from
experience.  Namely, what makes a game fun for players, and what affects do
game design decisions have on the player culture.  The greatest resource we
have to draw upon is the experience of each-other (IMHO).  8')

&gt; list is too theoretical, or feel intimidated by the frequent posters and
&gt; by the volume of past history and discussions that seems to be required
&gt; knowledge in order to participate?

I like the technical topics.  There is a lot of application-oriented
information here that is very useful to me.

I am a bit intimidated.  I am a duffer in a world of professionals.  Several
list members make successful muds for a living - I just do it in my spare time
for fun and I don't have anything to show for it (yet).  That won't keep me
from throwing my hat in, though.  I just try to be very succinct in my posts.

&gt; -Raph

Now JC's...