<!--X-TopPNI-->

Date:&nbsp;
[&nbsp;<a href="msg00013.html">Previous</a>
&nbsp;|&nbsp;<a href="msg00015.html">Next</a>
&nbsp;]
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Thread:&nbsp;
[&nbsp;<a href="msg00015.html">Previous</a>
&nbsp;|&nbsp;<a href="msg00013.html">Next</a>
&nbsp;]
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Index:&nbsp;
[&nbsp;<A HREF="author.html#00014">Author</A>
&nbsp;|&nbsp;<A HREF="#00014">Date</A>
&nbsp;|&nbsp;<A HREF="thread.html#00014">Thread</A>
&nbsp;]

<!--X-TopPNI-End-->
<!--X-MsgBody-->
<!--X-Subject-Header-Begin-->
<H1>[MUD-Dev] Elven Language List</H1>
<HR>
<!--X-Subject-Header-End-->
<!--X-Head-of-Message-->
<UL>
<LI><em>To</em>: <A HREF="mailto:mud-dev#kanga,nu">mud-dev#kanga,nu</A></LI>
<LI><em>Subject</em>: [MUD-Dev] Elven Language List</LI>
<LI><em>From</em>: J C Lawrence &lt;<A HREF="mailto:claw#under,engr.sgi.com">claw#under,engr.sgi.com</A>&gt;</LI>
<LI><em>Date</em>: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 14:23:57 -0700</LI>
<LI><em>Reply-To</em>: <A HREF="mailto:mud-dev#kanga,nu">mud-dev#kanga,nu</A></LI>
</UL>
<!--X-Head-of-Message-End-->
<!--X-Head-Body-Sep-Begin-->
<HR>
<!--X-Head-Body-Sep-End-->
<!--X-Body-of-Message-->
<PRE>

It appears that elves live among us in considerable number.

The following may be useful for those putting elves in MUDs:

                                Elven Language List

Note:   This is not a comprehensive dictionary.  Some of these
        words have no direct translation into English, and are
        approximated.

General Notes:

1.      The suffix of "ai" as in Des'tai implies a state of being that lasts
        indefinitely.

2.      The suffix "ar" as in "senar" implies a state of being that is
        in the present, and temporary.

3.      There is no specific verb which meant "to be".

4.      There are no specific pronouns for he, she, etc.
        These things are implied.

Key:
a = used primarily in Aelfheim
t = used primarily in the Tir
* = Used all over

Elven           English

Adrastai        Scouts --  A note on the Adrastai...though technically
                scouts, I tend to associate them more with knights,
                viz-a-viz King Arthur, et al, due to their extreme loyalty
                and dedication to the crown, than I do with any sort of
                ranger archetype... [Tal Leonan]  (Origin - a)

Aidan           From the Gaelic, "little flame"  (Origin - *)

A'Laena Sar     Until we meet again (Origin - a)

Allien          Those who are bodily (Origin - a)

Aqofeltu        Forgetfulness (Origin - the Silver Elves)

Araste Makatar  ? (Origin - a)
Nih

Arianai         You're wicked ;) (Origin - a)

Arias'tama      Bad Ass (Origin - t)

Ashan'rai       Son of the High King (Origin - a)

Ashtae          The Area Around.  Between.  In the Area of (Origin - a)

Aut, Yanna      Oh My nads (female are desirous (Origin - a)
Senar

Barith          Seas of Chance (Origin - a)

Basan           Sorrow (Origin - The Silver Elves)

Ceshtanen       Erased completely (Origin - a)

Chairen         A group of individuals working in concert, either through
                a Draelren or more conventional methods, to heal an
                individual (Origin - a)

Chev            Suffix meaning "beloved," used to refer to lifemates (Origin - t)

Daia Dadu Da    ? (Origin - a)

Deea Canayen    ? (Origin - a)

Den'shrai       Thank you for help. It is connected with
                Des'tai, and has the connotation of "thank you
                for helping me on my path". (Origin - Bluesilver)

Der             Soul (Origin - The Silver Elves)

Derzorvadur     Soul infusion (Origin - The Silver Elves)

Des'eren
(desh-er-en)    Well met, connotation of Des'tai
                (Origin - Bluesilver)

Desh'nerain     Brother  (Origin - t)

Desh'iriai      Sister  (Origin - t)

Desh'ketai      (Origin - t)

Desh'mieve      Mother  (Origin - t)

Desh'miriai     Guardian, bodyguard of a household  (Origin - t)

Des'tai         Honorable/Walking one's path (Origin - a)

Deyash nek'tai  Walk with me (Origin - a)

Dorai           Love/duty to loved ones (Origin - a)

Doulgen'ra      A Draelren with the intent of traveling to a specific
                location, or of exploring.  (Origin - a)

Drachlaend,
Drachlande,
Drachlond       "Rocky/austere land" - Listarii home  (Origin - a)

Draelond        "Deep Harbor" (Origin - a)

Draelren        The process of entering the spirit realm as part of a
                Draels'tai (Origin - a)

Draels'tai      A group of individuals entering the spirit realm in concert
                (Origin - a)

Ea              The All, The Creator (See Iri'A) (Origin - a)

Eisha'miai      Some sort of elven spirit-sickness, not
                quite sure here (Origin - t)

Elen            Although Tolkein translates this as "elf/of the stars",
                it is in our tongue "elf and friend".(Origin - a)

Elia            Soul or Spirit;  Can also be a proper name (Origin - t)

Eliai'iriai     Soul-sister  (Origin - t)

Eliai'nerain    Soul-brother (Origin - t)

Eluana          Female name  (Origin - a)

Elvaleryn       Physical Immortality (Origin - The Silver Elves)

Enaerson        "Right there" - sexual connotation (Origin - a)

Enrai           High King -- A literal translation would be "The
                first one", as in the first among equals.  Note:  Words
                like Enrai, that are short, often imply a great many things
                that would take up a few paragraphs in English, and even
                then you have to have an elven mindset with all the
                linked ideas to the word to get it.   In other words, do not
                let the apparent simplicity of the definitions mislead you.             (Origin - a)

Enta            You hear me (Origin - a)

Ereiash'demaa   Badass  (Origin - t)

Ereiash'demaa   Bad Ass to the High King (You're too late!  This Title
na Enrai        is already claimed by Robin...) (Origin - t)

Eren'rai        Daughter of the King (Origin - a)

Eshai'du        Colloquially "dumbass;" more likely "ignorant" (Origin - t)

Esiai'desh'     A noble bodyguard (Origin t)
mirain

Evrantilen      Oath-sworn, (noun, plural) (Origin - a)

Farth           Fae -- used to mean all otherkind
(fairth)        (Origin - The Silver Elves)

Faladar
(fail-la-dare)  A sense of something impending.... either
                something about to happen or something that
                needs to be done. (Origin - SE)

Feas
(Fee-ace)       Love or like of an inanimate object, as I really
                love that car or movie (Origin - SE)

Feln
(feel-n)        A love that elves have particularly for other
                elves or things elfin and this perhaps is closest
                to what you mean by Elven Love.
                (Origin - SE )

Ford            Love of a soul mate or best friend or family
                (Origin - SE)

Fylorn          The word for empathy  (Origin SE)
(fill-lorn)

Gieran          Beloved brother (said as Geahren has a bitter connotation) (Origin - a)

Gil-Enrai       Champion of the King (Origin - a)

Hae Hanae-Sa    See the way (Origin a)

Halae-Han       Walk the water (Origin a)

Hanae-so,
hanie-ho-so     Singer of the way (Origin a)

Hole Asin       Child of the Fae - Fae child (Origin a)

Iri'A           The One Force; the creative force behind all things, very
                much akin to the Force in the Star Wars trilogy (Origin - t)

Iriv'teshai     War-companion; The equivalent of the mortal term "buddy"
                in Vietnam (Origin - t)

Ishmaen         ? (Origin - a)

Jalar
(jay-lair)      Divine love or a feeling of oneness or unity
                with all (Origin - SE)

Janda'hai       Round-Ears (humans) (Origin - ?)

Jiach'ar        A Draelren with the attent of striking at an individual,
                spirit or magical construct (Origin - a)

Kai'            Female honorific prefix to a given name (Kai'Laria) (Origin - t)

Kaleanae        Watcher (Origin - a)

Katamah!        ? (Origin - a)

Katar           No Idea, Don't know at all (Origin - a)
Neenar

Katinar         Proper name meaning "kitten".   (Origin - t)

Ke'             Male honorific prefix to a given name (Ke'Ninaste,
                for instance) (Origin - t)

Keh?            What? (Origin - a)

Kieran          Beloved sister  (Origin - a)

Ki'Liana        Female name.  The "Ki" part means spirit fury.
                Leana means something like "dedicated or in
                service to". Ki'Leana could then mean something
                like "Dedicated to spirit fury". (Origin - a)

Kiyana          An angry exclamation word ... something
                to do with expressing spirit fury.  (Origin - Nanine)

Kimen Yahae     ?  (Origin - a)

Kir'            Male honorific prefix to a given name beginning with a vowel
                (Kir'Aidan) (Origin - t)

Kiran a'Llyra   From/of the Soul (Origin - a)

Kitathas        Short form of "Wind of Spirit Fury"  (Origin - a)

Kyela           Love (Origin - the Silver Elves)

Laere-Tere      Valley in the Northern Forests, with lots of
Tellle          running water and a heavy canopy of trees. (Origin - a)

Leana Sar       You see the walls of True (Origin - a)

Leire           Proper name, "she who stands at the border of dawn" (Origin -*)

Lenae Senecar   Yes, we are walking the land of the shadows or the
                moon; She who walks the plain of the shadows; See
                into the walking path of the worlds... (Origin - a)

Liana           female name meaning "in service/dedicated to".
                (Origin - a)

Liana' Senai    I desire you forever, Leeana (Origin - a)

Liana' Senar    I desire you right now, Leeana (Origin - a)

Liktai Na       This situation is alien (Origin - a)

Lik'tai Nar     This situation is so alien I do not know
Senek'tar       where "here" is. (Origin - a)

Lineat          Song of the "Pathers" (Those who walk the Path)
                (Origin - a)

Mileana Tar     You are thanked. Thank You; Your soul rules the
                lands of spires. (Origin - a)

Narwa           Remember (Origin - The Silver Elves)

Narwyn
(nair-win)      The sense that we have that denotes truth or
                falsity or the right direction to go in
                (Origin - SE)

Negeth          Is not -- For those of you familiar with FASA's Battle
                Tech universe, this is used similarly to the Clans' quiaff
                and quineg, that is, to end a sentence with a question of
                either affirmation or negation... [Tal] (Origin - a)

Nehatah         Brain Lock  (Origin - a)

Nesh'tirai      Otherkin shapeshifters; large and furry in their
                normal forms, can pass for elven (jokingly
                referred to in English as "Wookies")  (Origin - t)

Netherai        Literally, "She who is not"  It was the nickname
                for a certain young elf with a propensity for telling others
                what she was not... (Origin - a)

'Nieve          Suffix meaning "lover," used to refer to lovers who are
                not lifemates. (Origin - t)

Ninaste         Proper name meaning "master of wonders" or
                "Leader of the Hunt" (Origin - t)

Nish'allien
terestai        Go back to the trees;  Perjorative used in Shain Cemar
                (there are no trees in the city, and the rules there are a lot
                different from standard society) (Origin - t)

Nish            Variation of  or root of Nis'tai, indicating off, or strayed.
                May indicate "far from"  (Origin - a)

Nis'tai         Dishonorable/Off one's path;  Far from what should
                always be.   (Origin - a)
Nis'tar         When thinking about actions which are not Des'tai,
                it does not always seem quite right to say they are Nis'tai
                because "ai" implies everlasting. There is a form of this
                word, Nis'tar, which implies a temporary, or single,
                incident that is not Des'tai. (Origin - a)

Noralyn         Continuity of consciousness from one life to
                another (Origin - the Silver Elves)

Oforfamar               Leadership (Origin - the Silver Elves)

Pira            Prefix meaning "little" (Origin - t)

Rolyn
(roll-lyn)      The healing light that we can radiate
                (Origin - SE)

Serae Senar     I will inspire your greatest desire, I desire you
                (speakerSaikatar        male) I will be and fulfill your desire (Origin - a)

Saikatar        I will be and fulfill your desire of me (as male)
                (Origin -  a)

Sainar          I desire you (the speaker wishes to be male) (Origin - a)

Saoneldi
(Say-oon-l-di)  Otherkin -- This word is composed of the words
                Other and Kin...  (Origin -- The Silver Elves)

Satar           You look here (angry/annoyed connotation)
                (Origin - a)

Se'leana        Female name meaining "In service to you (general
                you)" (Origin - a)

Senar           I desire you (the speaker wishes to be female) (Origin - a)

Seneer          Variation of Senar:  I desire you (speaker wishes to
                be female) (Origin - a)

Serae           I will arouse your desire  (Origin - a)

                Note of explanation:Due to our ability to shift sexes,
                we would commonly open up a romantic interlude
                by stating our desire and which sex we wanted to start with.

Shaeyata        Specific style of warrior honor (Origin - a)

Shain Cemar     Border Town in Tir (Origin - t)

Shalva          The word that best encompasses the concept of sorrow for someone
(Shale-va)      other than one s'elf .

Sheltleth       Dark in nature/unseelie (Origin - a)

Shema'shestai   A phase in elven life corresponding to the mid-20s
                of mortal life (Origin - t)

Shi''ria na     My friend's Old name
                (Origin - Bluesilver)

Sh'mai          Beloved of my soul (Origin - a)

Shol
(show-l,        Elven breath for the healing or ensouling or
shoal)          awakening breath

Sirc            The word that elves called themselves in the 1st &amp; 2nd
                cycles (Origin - a)

Soto-Car
Laena Sa!       Hey, you walk there, "by the singing soul"; I see
                the way of walking, see, so see the soul of my way.
                (Origin - a)

Ta              Yes, I get it (Origin - a)

Taia            I hear you (Origin - a)

Talauntain      Enlightened (Origin - The Silver Elves)

Ta'na Ahlay     Walk in Light that is like Water (Origin - ?)

Tanaii          A Path; a path one chooses, not respective of
                whether said path is Des'tai or Nis'tai. It does not
                imply the rightness or wrongness of the path, merely
                the existance of the path. (Origin - t)

Tanaii-ka       This is the path of one's Soul, when the path chooses
                one instead of one choosing the path. Probably not
                too far from des'tai in meaning but Tanaii-ka refers
                to action, or to the overall duty one has for one's life
                as opposed to any one portion of it. For example,
                choosing to be a hunter is my Tanaii, my path. But
                being of the Wild Hunt and honoring the things we
                honor, and doing what we must to, that is my
                Tanaii-ka, that which has chosen me. When I was
                given my Hunt Name to honor my particular Talents,
                that name was the embodiment of my Tanaii-Ka. It is
                possible, however, for one's Tanaii-ka to be either
                Des'tai or Nis'tai, depending on the things one has
                chosen to do. If I had used my talents and gifts to
                destroy, to take power, to harm, then the path I am
                on would would still be Tanaii-ka but it would be
                Nis'tai, a thing of wrongness and destruction.
                (Origin - t)

Tashae          [You] hear me (Origin - a)

Tashen          Pay close attention, important (Origin - a)

Telpareon       Far Memory (Origin - The Silver Elves)

Teremai         Compassionate (Origin - t)

Terestai        The forest that will ever be (Origin - a)

Teshmeeat       ? (Origin - a)

Tihr a' Lahn    Walk/Dance in Light   (Origin - ?)

T'negeth        Isn't it --  For those of you familiar with FASA's Battle
                Tech universe, this is used similarly to the Clans' quiaff
                and quineg, that is, to end a sentence with a
                question of either affirmation or negation.. (Origin - a)

Unasae          Don't quit/give in  (Origin - a)

Vasata          Awaken (Origin - The Silver Elves)

Yanna           Female nads  (Origin - a)

Zelsatu         Consciousness (Origin - The Silver Elves)

Zorvain         Infused (Origin - The Silver Elves)

Contributors to the Word List: Sileniel, Wildcard, Rialian, Tal
Leonan, Nalissi, and the Silver Elves

--
J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw#null,net
(Contractor)                               Internet: coder#ibm,net

</PRE>

<!--X-Body-of-Message-End-->
<!--X-MsgBody-End-->
<!--X-Follow-Ups-->