01 Jul, 2009, Igabod wrote in the 21st comment:
Votes: 0
wow what a way to divert the subject of this thread guys. Though crat did help by providing some useful advice. I'll add to it by saying that maybe you should at least learn how to build on somebody else's mud before you try to wrangle someone in to do all the work for you. Learn how to build first, and if you do know how to build then take it to the next step and learn how to get a mud up and running. Once you do that then learn how to make small changes yourself. Once you're to that point you can get the mud up and running and get as many of the changes as you can do by yourself done, then set about seeking more experienced coders. A good way of finding experienced coders who might be willing to help you would be to make friends with the imms on muds you currently play on. You're more likely to have a good experience with this whole venture if you're friends with the person who has the power to make the changes than if it's just some random stranger you met through a forum posting.

Don't let these guy's picking on you get you down though. If you post questions here on the forum asking for help then even the guys who are being assholes are likely to help you out so long as you show that you're serious about wanting to learn. Good luck.
01 Jul, 2009, Kayle wrote in the 22nd comment:
Igabod said:
Though crat did help by providing some useful advice.

Uh.. What about the entire letter I linked to that Crat wrote.. that goes over.. Oh.. I dunno.. A lot of things similar to exactly what you just said?
01 Jul, 2009, Igabod wrote in the 23rd comment:
didn't click the link myself, I didn't think it was absolutely necessary to point out all of the good bits of the thread though so I apologize for skipping any contributions you made to the thread. I only mentioned crat's advice cause his was the most recent bit that was actually worth anything that I read. Though these two posts didn't add anything useful at all to the thread and only serve to further derail a thread. Good job to both of us. *sarcasm*
02 Jul, 2009, Dubstack wrote in the 24th comment:
rofl no am just saying am not the best at typing/spelling unless I like proof read something 10 times over as to speaking I can just say the word and no need to learn how to spell it. Should just get me one of them voice typing things they got then I wouldn't have to worry about miss typing something.
02 Jul, 2009, Scandum wrote in the 25th comment:
David Haley said:
I am not a Mexican!

Do you think that if you were, we would throw you out of the community or something…?

With a spare Mexican we could throw you out though. :evil:
02 Jul, 2009, Cratylus wrote in the 26th comment:
Scandum said:
David Haley said:
I am not a Mexican!

Do you think that if you were, we would throw you out of the community or something…?

With a spare Mexican we could throw you out though. :evil:

lol davidhaley

btw dubstack, you forgot to answer my question :(
09 Jul, 2009, Dubstack wrote in the 27th comment:
Cratylus said:
Dubstack said:
I am not a Mexican!

LOL don't worry bro, it was just Zenn who was being all weird
about that. Nobody else questions you being a full white american.

So, let's say I'm an awesome coder, and I like Final Fantasy.

Let's say I come across your post. In your post you say this:

I need 1 Coder who can do the following; Code map, add world map, add in hedit,make a who, normal coding stuff like adding skills,races,class,jobs,etc.

That tells me you don't know how to do a thing on your own mud,
other than maybe log in.

Why should I code you a mud, when I can just code my own FF mud?

That's the question you need to answer, if you want a coder to help you.

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net

Crat I can build a mud, its coding I have a problem with. I can do small things I can tgz and zip and unzip make wizlist and small things that don't really need coding I mean I am all for any help. I just can't code its that simple lol I need help I need a coder if they coder is willing to take up time with me and teach me (don't post links to how to code it is points cause I want understand it.) Anyhow I just need a coder who will help me and teach me.
09 Jul, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 28th comment:
You haven't really answered the question of why somebody should want to spend their relatively precious spare time on your project. What is special about your game?

If you're just saying "hey help me out I have nothing I just want to learn", that's ok, but you have to understand that people are more likely to want to spend time on something interesting to them personally – and to make that decision, they need to know more about what's going on.
09 Jul, 2009, Scandum wrote in the 29th comment:
David Haley said:
If you're just saying "hey help me out I have nothing I just want to learn", that's ok, but you have to understand that people are more likely to want to spend time on something interesting to them personally – and to make that decision, they need to know more about what's going on.

If you're just saying "hey, I'm pompous and I like to give my opinion", that's ok.. but if you're trying to act as the universal spokesman of the mud community, informing everyone of what the 'peoples' want, it'd be helpful if you would write in all caps, so it can be safely ignored.
09 Jul, 2009, Cratylus wrote in the 30th comment:
Scandum said:
David Haley said:

If you're just saying "hey, I'm pompous and I like to give my opinion", that's ok.. but if you're trying to act as the universal spokesman of the mud community, informing everyone of what the 'peoples' want, it'd be helpful if you would write in all caps, so it can be safely ignored.

lol irony
09 Jul, 2009, Cratylus wrote in the 31st comment:
Dubstack said:
Crat I can build a mud, its coding I have a problem with. I can do small things I can tgz and zip and unzip make wizlist and small things that don't really need coding I mean I am all for any help. I just can't code its that simple lol I need help I need a coder if they coder is willing to take up time with me and teach me (don't post links to how to code it is points cause I want understand it.) Anyhow I just need a coder who will help me and teach me.

Yeah, don't take this the wrong way, but that's exactly what I mean when I say
you don't know how to do a thing on your mud. Being able to compress and
uncompress files and change the mud name don't really count, if that's
the limit of your skill modifying the mud.

I'm not trying to be rude, bro, I'm just being straight up with you. The way
to help yourself is to understand that you need to offer something more
than you have. This is because coders who know what they are doing
will generally avoid wasting their time on a project with so little going for it.

Now, maybe your project has a lot going for it. But you haven't shared that.
This is a good time to share it.

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net
09 Jul, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 32nd comment:
Yo Cratdawg, I put a pompous in your pompous so you can opine while you opine.
09 Jul, 2009, Runter wrote in the 33rd comment:
Scandum said:
David Haley said:

If you're just saying, "Hey, I don't like you David.", that's okay.. But if you're trying to outline any legitimate grievance on the proper medium, epic fail.
09 Jul, 2009, Scandum wrote in the 34th comment:
The only epic I see is an epic jump, whenever I say so.
09 Jul, 2009, Dubstack wrote in the 35th comment:
Crat how should I go about telling you or more less the this forum what I want out of my mud? Should I just post what I want to make and give great dealt about?
09 Jul, 2009, Cratylus wrote in the 36th comment:
Dubstack said:
Crat how should I go about telling you or more less the this forum what I want out of my mud? Should I just post what I want to make and give great dealt about?

yes.
09 Jul, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 37th comment:
Basically you need to convince people of why they would want to spend their time on your project. If somebody said to you just, "hey dude I can unzip a MUD, want to work on it?", would you spend your time on it? Or would you want to know first a little bit about what the project's about? Why is it more interesting than others? Why is that person's project more interesting to you than what you're already working on? There are relatively few people who can do this kind of thing and are just sitting there idly waiting for somebody to give them a project. You need to convince them that your project is worth spending time on.
09 Jul, 2009, Dubstack wrote in the 38th comment:
This is my mud its not in the best detail but you should get the idea if you read it.
I'm looking for a coder who has good know how on map muds who can help me with a large lay out of the mud. I want to make four large kingdoms each with its on one to one hundred level zones. Each kingdom will have it's on quest's and mob types. I would like to make a new player make log on. The leveling system is done by leveling and questing each player will have two class they can pick from at the start (There class will have upgrades or you will need to get be a class to get a quest to get a new class) and one job class. Each job class will have a different need on the mud. I want to make the mud as real life as you can make it (If you don't eat or drink anything you will die.) <– This just an idea which I think muds who have thirt and hunger need to have. I want to have a large pet system so everyone can get a pet (When ever they can buy them, they will all so die if you don't feed them and they will have a hp bar and love/like system). I like to get a new score and status system up. This are just a few small minor things I think I should tell you about, everything else will be add on as we go.
09 Jul, 2009, Cratylus wrote in the 39th comment:
dubstack,

Excellent! This is a great start. The time you took to write that tells me you're really interested.

Now, the next step is for you to read this: http://dead-souls.net/articles/newcomer....

I know it seems long, but you need it. Please read every word of that, and when
you are done, please tell me what you think of it.

-Crat
09 Jul, 2009, Dubstack wrote in the 40th comment:
I see you have wrote out a very good and long desc of what to ask and say to someone. I'm very mature so I can understand what you are trying to say in the letter, I agree on the "Your awesome idea is one of 10,000" I agree am sure millions of people have made a mud with the same basic idea as mine.
20.0/95