05 Sep, 2008, Fizban wrote in the 41st comment:
Votes: 0
In FF and Opera you can hold it down and scroll at the same time to scroll 'fast'.
05 Sep, 2008, ShadowsDawn wrote in the 42nd comment:
DavidHaley said:
I actually don't like Gmail much at all, due to not having any kind of hierarchical organization. Not to mention that the 'new interface' has been causing FF2 to hang…

That said, it is better than the other free mail providers (it's not a client) I've used.

Solution.. use a POP3 or IMAP program to access your email. Both protocols are free to use. Then you still have the massive archive you can access online when needed, as well as access it without need to login to the web frontend.
05 Sep, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 43rd comment:
I do use pop3 to access my gmail account. That works for one computer but defeats the purpose of web-based mail when you regularly work on several computers (I rotate on about 4). The IMAP method solves the synchronization problem, but doesn't help with hierarchical organization, which is my real sticking point. I only use gmail for mailing lists I read from home, so these aren't huge problems for that purpose, but it would not serve my purposes for a primary email account.
05 Sep, 2008, Lobotomy wrote in the 44th comment:
Samson said:
Opera is fantastic on a technical level. Fast, standards compliant. Where they fail is the UI. I mean, ugh. That's got to be the worst default UI I've ever seen. Yes, you can skin it, but first impressions count.

Are you speaking of the current Opera UI, or prior versions? If the latter, you may want to give the newer version a try. If the former, then to each their own I suppose. :sad:

Samson said:
Opera only sees use when I test web code or need to download a torrent.

I haven't used Opera's built-in torrent client in a while, due to a number of issues including that I'm a die-hard Azureus fan (except for their name change to Vuze - I liked Azureus better). I take it by your comment that you're not a Vuze/Azureus user, then?
05 Sep, 2008, Zeno wrote in the 45th comment:
Azureus = win.

I hate Vuze too, but did you know there's an option to only use "Azureus"?
05 Sep, 2008, Guest wrote in the 46th comment:
Lobotomy said:
Are you speaking of the current Opera UI, or prior versions? If the latter, you may want to give the newer version a try. If the former, then to each their own I suppose. :sad:

The version I have installed now is 9.26 and it's butt ugly. Doesn't fit the Windows theme or anything, way too much bright whiteness and all the options menus feel chaotic and unorganized.

I haven't used Opera's built-in torrent client in a while, due to a number of issues including that I'm a die-hard Azureus fan (except for their name change to Vuze - I liked Azureus better). I take it by your comment that you're not a Vuze/Azureus user, then?

I don't do a lot of torrent downloads and have a big distrust of dedicated torrent clients and the spyware they're often associated with. Opera's built in torrent support works well enough for how little I need it.
05 Sep, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 47th comment:
Azureus is clean; not sure if you heard about problems with it specifically. It's also open source, for whatever that's worth.
05 Sep, 2008, Lobotomy wrote in the 48th comment:
Zeno said:

Yeah, I'm aware of that option in the Vuze client. However, I'm using a different version of that option right now in that I've simply chosen to not upgrade; although, I really probably should.

Samson said:
The version I have installed now is 9.26 and it's butt ugly. Doesn't fit the Windows theme or anything, way too much bright whiteness and all the options menus feel chaotic and unorganized.

You might want to give the newer versions a whirl, then. Currently it's at 9.52.

DavidHaley said:
Azureus is clean; not sure if you heard about problems with it specifically. It's also open source, for whatever that's worth.

Ditto to that. I've not once had any sort of problem or issue with spyware/adware/malware/what-have-you with Azureus.
05 Sep, 2008, Hades_Kane wrote in the 49th comment:
Zeno said:
Azureus = win.

Ooh, ooh… where!?!

I was just remarking not half an hour ago to my girlfriend that I hate Vuze and that she should be glad she never upgraded on her computer. Kinda funny to pop in here and that's a topic of conversation.

I might be using an ancient version of it as well…
06 Sep, 2008, Fizban wrote in the 50th comment:
I'm with Lobotomy, I quite like the UI of the current Opera, and it's not at all the same as the one in 9.26.

An image of its current version can be seen here on their webpage:

http://www.opera.com/products/desktop/
06 Sep, 2008, Davion wrote in the 51st comment:
Hades_Kane said:
Zeno said:
Azureus = win.

Ooh, ooh… where!?!

I was just remarking not half an hour ago to my girlfriend that I hate Vuze and that she should be glad she never upgraded on her computer. Kinda funny to pop in here and that's a topic of conversation.

I might be using an ancient version of it as well…

I don't have it in front of me (also a dedicated Azureus user!), but under view, I believe it's called 'advanced' ;)
06 Sep, 2008, Guest wrote in the 52nd comment:
Lobotomy said:
Samson said:

You might want to give the newer versions a whirl, then. Currently it's at 9.52.

I'll have a look at it but I've since grown quite attached to Firefox and it's going to take a miracle at this point to pry me off of it.

DavidHaley said:

Lobotomy said:
Ditto to that. I've not once had any sort of problem or issue with spyware/adware/malware/what-have-you with Azureus.

Like I said, I have no need for a dedicated torrent client. I don't download anywhere close to the volume it would take before it would be of any use to me. On the few occasions I need one, usually because no other option was offered, I just use Opera for it.
06 Sep, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 53rd comment:
Samson said:
Like I said, I have no need for a dedicated torrent client. I don't download anywhere close to the volume it would take before it would be of any use to me. On the few occasions I need one, usually because no other option was offered, I just use Opera for it.

I don't think we were trying to convince you to use Azureus. I was just wondering what basis you had for making the claim you did w.r.t. Azureus. I guess we've cleared up any misconception about it being spyware now. :wink:
06 Sep, 2008, Guest wrote in the 54th comment:
I never claimed Azureus was laden with spyware so I'm not sure why you'd even need that cleared up. I said I have a general distrust of dedicated torrent clients because of issues like that. Please READ what I'm saying if you don't mind.
06 Sep, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 55th comment:
Geez, no reason to get all hissy, "if you don't mind". :wink: You said that you have "a big distrust of dedicated torrent clients and the spyware they're often associated with". Azureus is obviously included in that general list, being a dedicated client, especially when you consider the fact that you were replying to a post about Azureus. So, I think it is very reasonable to assume based solely on what you wrote that you had "a big distrust" of Azureus due to its being a dedicated client.
06 Sep, 2008, Guest wrote in the 56th comment:
No. It's not reasonable to assume that at all. My statement was made before anyone even bothered to invoke it's name. And god dammit, don't start this crap again, I got hissy for a pretty valid reason I think since you misquoted me, and are now doing so on purpose.
06 Sep, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 57th comment:
Samson said:
My statement was made before anyone even bothered to invoke it's name

If you say so, but post #46 seems to disagree…

Samson said:

I don't do a lot of torrent downloads and have a big distrust of dedicated torrent clients and the spyware they're often associated with. Opera's built in torrent support works well enough for how little I need it.

I mean, it says Azureus right there, three times even. :thinking: So yeah, I think it was a pretty reasonable assumption. :shrug:
06 Sep, 2008, Guest wrote in the 58th comment:
Mother's coming for me in the dragon ships. I don't like these itchy clothes, but I have to wear them or it frightens the fish.
06 Sep, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 59th comment:
I suppose I'll have to consider that an amusing apology of some form. Thank you… :smile:
06 Sep, 2008, Zenn wrote in the 60th comment:
No, the DRAGON is coming for you in the MOTHER SHIPS.
40.0/67