04 Sep, 2008, Lobotomy wrote in the 21st comment:
Votes: 0
Darien said:
Google retracted their terms of service with regards to your uploaded files, apparently that took ALLOT of fire right away and they altered the terms of service, and made them retroactive to people who used dl'd it prior.

Article

On top of that, with any open source software, you should always look under the hood and inspect what they got, and disable anything you don't like, and take note of anything you can do to optimize/update, as nomatter how good the coders may be, it is so simple to overlook something, and have a completely shmuck find/fix an issue.

Anyways, just my two cents. I like Chrome, its got quite a nice look to it, but I won't be using it until it is out of beta.

Good. That took the evility factor down a notch for me. Although, it'll be a bit yet I imagine before Google Chrome has enough of an offering that it can pry me away from Opera. A skinned interface to clone that of Opera's current default would help in that regard (me likes the Opera GUI). :smile:

I have to say that I'm surprised by the swiftness of the TOS correction though, and that it even occurred whatsoever, to be completely honest. Rather interesting.
04 Sep, 2008, Fizban wrote in the 22nd comment:
DavidHaley said:
In fairness, Chrome is also beta: if you play fair and use the unstable versions of Mozilla's stuff, you will be getting their enhanced Javascript. Google just happens to have nicely packaged their unstable version for non-developers to use. :shrug:

Except Google's unstable version is actually pretty stable. I've only crashed one tab and it was when opening a pdf in it. The only other oddities I've even had were when posting to the CWG forums. For some reason I copied a chunk of code that included several #define 's and it added a space to the end of every single line which ended up adding spaces after backslashes that were used to continue the defines which was a bitch to go back and remove. Also for some reason when I type in their forums the text seems to get somewhat jumbled. I can click out of the body and when it loses focus it gains clarity again. I'm not sure if it's issue is with PHP-Nuke or phpBB2 in general but i know it had neither issue with my forum which uses phpBB3.
04 Sep, 2008, Zeno wrote in the 23rd comment:
04 Sep, 2008, Fizban wrote in the 24th comment:
That's sad. Opera is a 'fantastic' browser, yet it has so little market-share that Google has already passed it.
04 Sep, 2008, Mabus wrote in the 25th comment:
Only problem I have had with it (so far) is when accessing a Hotmail account (MSN Live). It told me to "upgrade my browser", but continuing had no ill affects. Not surprising that Microsoft would do this, as I have seen similar FireFox issues accessing Hotmail in the past.

It does render quite fast. I am glad to see the ToS change.
04 Sep, 2008, Omega wrote in the 26th comment:
Your hotmail account will always tell you to update your browser if your not using IE, it does it with every browser I've tried outside of IE, so yeah, don't trust hotmail ;)
04 Sep, 2008, Zeno wrote in the 27th comment:
Solution: Don't use Hotmail. It's clearly a flaw in Hotmail.
04 Sep, 2008, Zenn wrote in the 28th comment:
Simpler Solution: Use Gmail. It beats the crap out of all the other free mail clients anyway.
04 Sep, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 29th comment:
I actually don't like Gmail much at all, due to not having any kind of hierarchical organization. Not to mention that the 'new interface' has been causing FF2 to hang…

That said, it is better than the other free mail providers (it's not a client) I've used.
04 Sep, 2008, Kayle wrote in the 30th comment:
GMail owns all other free email setups hands down. The sheer amount of storage space you get, and while it may not have any kind of hierarchical organization, it does have that nifty search field.
04 Sep, 2008, Fizban wrote in the 31st comment:
I use gmail myself, but doesn't hotmail actually offer unlimited space nowadays? Not that gmail isn't more or less unlimited itself. While technically it isn't unlimited I don't think I'll ever fill my gmail account seeing as I am sitting at: "You are currently using 678 MB (9%) of your 7101 MB." on a gmail account I have used since August of 2005.
05 Sep, 2008, Kayle wrote in the 32nd comment:
I think you have to have a paid hotmail account for the unlimited space thing. otherwise I think it's a 2gb limit.
05 Sep, 2008, Guest wrote in the 33rd comment:
Fizban said:
Except Google's unstable version is actually pretty stable.

The Firefox trunk code was rock solid stable for me 9 months before the beta releases were up. Despite the reports of crippling bugs in what is clearly labeled as testing code, I ran FF3 for a very long time without incident and only had things crash when Flash or Javascript got out of hand. I do tend to stay away from the trunk splits that happen shortly after a major release since lots and lots of unproven code gets dumped in at that point.

Fizban said:
That's sad. Opera is a 'fantastic' browser, yet it has so little market-share that Google has already passed it.

Opera is fantastic on a technical level. Fast, standards compliant. Where they fail is the UI. I mean, ugh. That's got to be the worst default UI I've ever seen. Yes, you can skin it, but first impressions count. Opera only sees use when I test web code or need to download a torrent.

I'm hardly surprised to see Chrome pass Opera. Chrome had a ton of media exposure on launch day and Google got the word out pretty fast and everyone is curious. It still has lots of polishing to do, but they started off pretty well.
05 Sep, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 34th comment:
The real question w.r.t. Chrome's market share is how much of it will last for longer than initial curiosity.
05 Sep, 2008, Kayle wrote in the 35th comment:
Well, as the API opens (I didn't see any docs on it, or anywhere to grab the source just yet) and the beta period comes to a close, My money is on Chrome becoming a major contender in the browser world. It's honestly more like a little mini-OS designed for running on the Web then a browser, and as people become accustomed to it, and can start producing extensions for it, I see it being one of the heavy-weights of browsers.
05 Sep, 2008, Mabus wrote in the 36th comment:
Am I the only one missing the middle mouse button, or am I missing a setting somewhere?
05 Sep, 2008, Guest wrote in the 37th comment:
Mabus said:
Am I the only one missing the middle mouse button, or am I missing a setting somewhere?

My middle mouse button worked just fine with Chrome.
05 Sep, 2008, Zeno wrote in the 38th comment:
Pressing in the middle mouse button didn't seem to work for me, but middle mouse scrolling works.
05 Sep, 2008, Fizban wrote in the 39th comment:
Mabus said:

Nope, it doesn't work for me either, it was one of my complaints on page 1. Safari doesn't enable the feature either for some reason.
05 Sep, 2008, Guest wrote in the 40th comment:
Maybe I'm missing something. Is the middle mouse button supposed to be doing more than being used for clicking on a link to open it in a new tab?
20.0/67