09 Mar, 2008, Conner wrote in the 81st comment:
Votes: 0
Boy, we've drifted a bit off-topic here haven't we?

The original poster created this thread did so by asking two questions to which I have to wonder if the main posters in the thread at this point have even actually answered:

Kjwah said:
Anyone else originally start using Linux to program and find themselves actually just running it as a desktop system?

and

Kjwah said:
Anyone else just kind of "stop" using windows?
09 Mar, 2008, Darwin wrote in the 82nd comment:
My answers would have to be "Yes" and "Yes" to those questions. The "why's" have been explained in some of my previous posts, but I can go over them again if necessary.
09 Mar, 2008, Guest wrote in the 83rd comment:
DavidHaley said:
Samson said:
Especially when you turn to the "community" for help and are treated to a flurry of RTFM style responses

This is an advantage of Ubuntu: it is extremely rare to get nasty responses like this. Actually, I found that the Fedora forums were also rather helpful back in the day, and since you used that, I'm not sure why you have the above impression so strongly.

You'll forgive me if I don't believe a word of it. I've had plenty of personal experience with the RTFM response when asking a question that some elitist jackass thinks everyone should just know. They act like it would kill them to just give a useful answer to the question. Not everyone enjoys trolling Google for hours looking for an answer to a problem. That kind of thing is what leads the masses to the conclusion that linux is for geeks and engineers.
09 Mar, 2008, Darwin wrote in the 84th comment:
For what it's worth, I'm sorry you've had such a bad experience with Linux, Samson. I, however, have had nearly the opposite experience. I've gotten help when I've needed it, and rather quickly I might add, resolving any issues I've had in a timely manner. To date, the only thing that has annoyed me in the least was that one update required me to reboot the computer.
09 Mar, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 85th comment:
I also have had the opposite experience on the Ubuntu forums (and the Fedora forums, although I am less familiar with them), and indeed wonder if you have even looked at the Ubuntu forums. Even relatively, err, "basic" questions tend to get answered helpfully. At worse, the person answering the question refers the asker to the precise help file needed (sometimes it's harder to find the help file than it is to do what the help file says!). It is not like the behavior you describe. What you describe is certainly typical of other Linux communities, and is definitely detrimental. But there are places where it is not the norm.

Conner said:
The original poster created this thread did so by asking two questions to which I have to wonder if the main posters in the thread at this point have even actually answered:

I answered the question on page one. :shrug: Actually, on post #2 of the thread. :wink: Actually, I think that everybody answered the question one way or another, although it's definitely understandable that the answers got lost in the noise…
80.0/85