25 Jun, 2009, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Here's what i got from the Rom2.4.doc:

III.  Putting an object into another object:

P 0 1001 0 1000 3

P denotes that this reset is putting an object into another object.
Both 0 entries denote placeholders for defunct slots.
The third slot is the vnum of the object that is being contained, the fifth slot denotes the vnum of the container.
The sixth slot denotes the number of copies of the object that will be loaded into the container.
The above example will put 3 copies of object 1001 into container 1000.

Note! If you wish to have, for example, five mobiles carrying containers called 'backpacks' with 'bread' 'cheese' and 'water jug' items in them,
and have an abandoned backpack with the same gear as would be in the carried backpacks, you are best off making a total of six *individual*
'backpack' containers and resetting the *same* 'bread', 'cheese' and 'water' items.

Every time i try to create this type of reset it dosn't do anything, any ideas???
25 Jun, 2009, Runter wrote in the 2nd comment:
I can't quite remember but I think there might be something tricky about that type of reset in rom.
25 Jun, 2009, Sandi wrote in the 3rd comment:
Heh, wrong again. Well, she got most of it right, and documented things better than I have.

The Dizzy Guide (highly recommended) gets it right.

The first 0 is a boolean that doesn't matter anymore, but the second one, oh dear, that's your global max setting. :redface:

Set that to 0, and you'll never have any resets. If you want an unlimited supply of whatever it is, set it to -1. Otherwise, set it to the max number of those items you want in the game.
25 Jun, 2009, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 4th comment:
Sandi said:
The first 0 is a boolean that doesn't matter anymore, but the second one, oh dear, that's your global max setting. :redface:

Sandi, is the global limit the max limit for the Mud, the Area, or the Room?

Thanks a ton BTW :smile: :smirk: :biggrin:

EDIT: Never mind man, i'm tired, i didnt read you said "max you want in the GAME"
So, let me ask you this then, max limit in the game, so what happens if you set the global limit of a "Lightsaber" when loaded into a container at 10, but you load the same OBJ in a room with a global limit of 100, does one supersede the other???
25 Jun, 2009, Sandi wrote in the 5th comment:
This gets confusing, yet it makes sense, allowing clever builders more control over resets.

The "global" limit for each reset is actually local. That is, if I set one room, say a cave, to have a global limit for 7 bats, then that room will load bats only until there are a total of 7 in the game. If I set a room outside the cave to have a local limit of 2, and a global limit of 10, then it will only reset 2 bats at a time in that room, but it will keep resetting those two until there are 10 bats in the game. I might set several rooms further away to reset 1 bat, with a global limit of 20 bats.

What will happen is that as players approach the cave and clean out the bats, the rooms farther away will keep repopping as the bats wander out of each room (until a max of 20 is reached). If someone finds the cave and cleans it out, it won't repop until the rest of the bats are reduced to less than 7. For this to work, however, the cave needs its reset to come before the other rooms, or on boot the max of 7 will be reached before the game tries to load the cave.

Thus, the effect will be that the bats come from the cave and spread out, but if you enter the cave and clean it out, the bats get scared and don't return. In this case, I would not set the bats 'stayarea', as it would be cool to have them occasionally wander into neighboring areas, and this is the reason the max reset limit is 'global' (game-wide), and not limited just to the area.

This is, admittedly, 'advanced' building, and it's likely best to tell builders to set all global resets the same, lest they get unpleasant surprises. Generally, a room's local reset should be much lower than the global reset, or else you'll have all the mobs clustered in one room, and the other rooms in the area empty.

For clarity, to address your example, the container will likely only have the lightsabers loaded at all if the reset comes before the room reset, and with 100 resets available to the room (and thus the game), it's unlikely the container will ever reset again, unless the players grab all the lightsabers and log off. A more realistic scenario might be achieved by the reverse - the container, with global max of 100, would almost always have a supply, but they'd only be laying around the room if they couldn't be found elsewhere. In this case, you can have the room be bare of lightsabers on a reboot by placing its reset after that of the container, or place it before if you want them to be there. In the first case, you might be able to simulate a tidy ship on reboot, and only after it was boarded, the crew decimated, and the arms locker cleaned out would there be lightsabers laying about.
25 Jun, 2009, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 6th comment:
Thanks for the example Sandi, much more clear now.

So here's a quick question, what if i wanted to go ahead and set the global limit to the Object portion itself EG:

in my custom builder i have an object portion, what if we were to add a field that said global limit,
this way its encapsulated to each OBJ and not subject to weirdness on the RESET level, for instance, if i have
a "Thermal Detonator" and set its OBJ to a global limit of 100, when we add a reset it will grab the Objects global limit value,
and populate the reset.

Otherwise, what if i had 200 rooms and 20 resets, if each one has the global limit explicitly set to 100, if i were perhaps to decide 100
was too much, all i would have to do is go to the OBJ and change it there, this would thus update the entire game ;)

–Not just thinking out loud, but i am wondering if there is any flaw to the above logic?
25 Jun, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 7th comment:
What exactly are you asking? Are you asking if it's a good idea to add a global limit field to the objects themselves? Sounds reasonable enough to me. If you have the same thing reset in lots of places, it's easier to set and modify the limit in just one place, rather than have to go change all the resets.
25 Jun, 2009, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 8th comment:
David Haley said:
What exactly are you asking? Are you asking if it's a good idea to add a global limit field to the objects themselves? Sounds reasonable enough to me. If you have the same thing reset in lots of places, it's easier to set and modify the limit in just one place, rather than have to go change all the resets.

agreed
0.0/8