13 Jun, 2013, Dean wrote in the 21st comment:
Votes: 0
quixadhal said:
I didn't get a PM… I can only assume I'm not the target audience for a dbz MUD.

*whew*

You'll be receiving your invitation via snail mail.
13 Jun, 2013, Vigud wrote in the 22nd comment:
Not pre-1990? Not for Quix!
14 Jun, 2013, Ssolvarain wrote in the 23rd comment:
He's a pure Dragonball fan.

No Z's for him.
14 Jun, 2013, Hades_Kane wrote in the 24th comment:
Kline said:
Hades_Kane said:
Geez, what a warm welcome guys.

You know, it is possible for a DBZ game to be good and with tactful use of color, I've seen it myself.

And sure, that might be a simple bit of code for most of us, but we all start somewhere.

There was no need for this ugliness.

I feel like I should jump on the "beat the OP" train here because he sent me a PM asking me to be a builder. Completely unsolicited. I haven't even posted recently so I can only assume he farmed my name from the online users list or general members list. Someone too ignorant to even research "how" to do a simple double exp modification (asking "how do I do this" instead of "I tried to do this, it didn't work, what did I do wrong" is a big difference) who also sends out unsolicited bulk/spam private messages to help him is someone I'd rather not see frequenting this site.

He may be very likely new to any all bits of the Administration side. This could be a teaching opportunity to perhaps help mold a new Admin in acceptable practices within the community.

If he just gets flamed and ganged up on when he asks a question, there's no opportunity for him to learn and certainly no incentive for him to listen to any constructive criticism down the road from the posters here.

Don't like DBZ MUDs? Don't like that he asked how to do a very simple code trick? Don't have anything nice to say about either? Then why not just… not say anything?

Sure, that's a huge douche move to send unsolicited builder requests to posters, I would be inclined to feel that either he should be reported based on that, or a message sent back briefly explaining there is a board for recruitment and that unsolicited messages like that will likely not earn him many positive views or points around here. In either case, there's a chance for a learning opportunity for him.

You know how bitter darkoz and slapbass on TMC are? Sure, slapbass is/was completely incompetent, but I can't help but feel that if we, as a community, are more tolerant toward beginners wanting things handed to them without any effort on their own, and more tolerant of themes that we may find no value in (but clearly has a significant target audience and interest among others), then maybe it could help cut down on some of those posters and can certainly have a higher chance of helping mold newer members to the community toward practices we all find more acceptable.

And besides, how middle school is it to gang up on someone for running a DBZ MUD? It's been long established that DBZ is the theme that is apparently popular and acceptable to bash among the "cool kids" around these parts, but how herd-mentality is it that people seem to take the opportunity to gang up and bash that theme just because it's "the thing to do".

News flash guys, most of us spend a significant time playing online outside of real world interaction pretending to be Elves or Dwarves or Goblins or what-have-you. We aren't the cool kids. We're the nerds who get bullied and picked on in middle school for being different. Do we really need to act like that ourselves? Seriously, we're better than that. Hell, MUDing is even too nerdy for most of the LARPers or WoW gamers or D&Ders I know. We're the nerds' nerds. Our hobby is a small and some say shrinking genre, do we really need to be alienating new members or trashing entire themes because "lol everybody makes fun of dbz"?

The elitist attitude of many portions of the MUD community really grinds my gears sometimes.
14 Jun, 2013, Kline wrote in the 25th comment:
Hades_Kane said:
If he just gets flamed and ganged up on when he asks a question, there's no opportunity for him to learn and certainly no incentive for him to listen to any constructive criticism down the road from the posters here.

Agreed.

Hades_Kane said:
Don't like DBZ MUDs? Don't like that he asked how to do a very simple code trick? Don't have anything nice to say about either? Then why not just… not say anything?

I didn't until I received unsolicited spam from him in poor taste; and even then my comments revolved primarily around that.

Hades_Kane said:
Sure, that's a huge douche move to send unsolicited builder requests to posters, I would be inclined to feel that either he should be reported based on that, or a message sent back briefly explaining there is a board for recruitment and that unsolicited messages like that will likely not earn him many positive views or points around here. In either case, there's a chance for a learning opportunity for him.

The only response it spurred from me was posting my distaste of it in this thread. If the OP is still around and checking his thread, I'm sure he'd have seen it here, along with others who also complained of receiving similar messages from him.

Hades_Kane said:
You know how bitter darkoz and slapbass on TMC are?

No, I haven't visited TMC for years. If it's not brought up here, I know nothing about it.

Hades_Kane said:
And besides, how middle school is it to gang up on someone for running a DBZ MUD? It's been long established that DBZ is the theme that is apparently popular and acceptable to bash among the "cool kids" around these parts, but how herd-mentality is it that people seem to take the opportunity to gang up and bash that theme just because it's "the thing to do".

I never made a single comment regarding the type, genre, style, theme, etc of the OP's MUD. While yes, the general reaction to it was along the lines of "LOL DBZ MUD", the people who like to play and operate those types of MUDs have only brought this upon themselves as a community. If more members of the "DBZ MUD" community were mature and polite when dealing with others online maybe there wouldn't always be such a backlash against anyone who mentions a DBZ-themed game.

Hades_Kane said:
We aren't the cool kids.

Speak for yourself ;)

Hades_Kane said:
Hell, MUDing is even too nerdy for most of the LARPers or WoW gamers or D&Ders I know.

I'd be willing to debate that LARPers are probably the true kings and queens of nerd mountain. It takes an epic level of throwing all social norms and inhibitions to the wind to have costumed pretend swordplay outside of a theatrical setting after the age of 12 or so.
14 Jun, 2013, Exodus wrote in the 26th comment:
Some stereotypes exist because, well, that's how it is.
14 Jun, 2013, Chris Bailey wrote in the 27th comment:
I feel like I should create a simple, stable, and maturely administrated dragonballs MUD under an alias so they have something to point to in order to defend the theme.
15 Jun, 2013, quixadhal wrote in the 28th comment:
Would you expect to get OVER NINE THOUSAND PLAYERS????? :evil:
15 Jun, 2013, Rarva.Riendf wrote in the 29th comment:
Chris Bailey said:
I feel like I should create a simple, stable, and maturely administrated dragonballs MUD under an alias so they have something to point to in order to defend the theme.

See even when trying to help you cannot refrain yourself to remove any Z from your sentence :p
Dragonball is great for a mud :) it is the Z part that not fit anywhere but a visual depiction of endless fight and nothing else.
15 Jun, 2013, Dean wrote in the 30th comment:
Chris Bailey said:

We already have one of those, thank you very much. Well, maybe not simple but I digress. :wink:
15 Jun, 2013, Ssolvarain wrote in the 31st comment:
Kline said:
I'd be willing to debate that LARPers are probably the true kings and queens of nerd mountain. It takes an epic level of throwing all social norms and inhibitions to the wind to have costumed pretend swordplay outside of a theatrical setting after the age of 12 or so.

You've obviously never heard of the degenerative scum called SCA.
15 Jun, 2013, Ssolvarain wrote in the 32nd comment:
(Sorry, here's a link. Clickie!)

And a picture.

Look at that shit.
16 Jun, 2013, Chris Bailey wrote in the 33rd comment:
They appear to be taking it very seriously.
16 Jun, 2013, Kline wrote in the 34th comment:
Chris Bailey said:
They appear to be taking it very seriously.

About as seriously as we should take the OP. :devil:
18 Jun, 2013, Amun wrote in the 35th comment:
All this elitism is pretty disgusting, to be honest. If someone who isn't a part of your community breaches your conforms and practices, I'm pretty sure you should try informing them as such instead of outright denigrating them.

But hey, what do I know? I'm just a guy who tries not to be overtly cretinous to people who want to explore their creativity and create an experience they think others might enjoy, regardless of their level of proficiency in that matter. Maybe it helps that I have a memory adequate enough to remember when I used to ask annoying questions constantly and would bombard anyone I could with cries for help because it's a pretty big undertaking to take on alone and it's not always so easy to get enough interest to find some serious help.
18 Jun, 2013, quixadhal wrote in the 36th comment:
I suspect you're confusing Elitism with Mockery. Tyche answered the OP's question. We don't know if the OP understood that answer. Some people harped on how silly it is for anyone to run a MUD if they don't understand basic programming concepts, which is quite true. Some other people provided the obligitory mocking of the entire DragonballZ genre, which is well deserved and should be fully expected by anyone who's actually planning to run such a thing.

Then there's the thin skinned people who take offense at injuries they ASSUME the OP is feeling but not expressing.

Does that summarize the thread sufficiently?
18 Jun, 2013, Lyanic wrote in the 37th comment:
quixadhal said:
I suspect you're confusing Elitism with Mockery. Tyche answered the OP's question. We don't know if the OP understood that answer. Some people harped on how silly it is for anyone to run a MUD if they don't understand basic programming concepts, which is quite true. Some other people provided the obligitory mocking of the entire DragonballZ genre, which is well deserved and should be fully expected by anyone who's actually planning to run such a thing.

Then there's the thin skinned people who take offense at injuries they ASSUME the OP is feeling but not expressing.

Does that summarize the thread sufficiently?

You also left out the part where one of the thin skins implied that we were all just like OP once. Then the part were I laughed at that ridiculous implication.
18 Jun, 2013, Rarva.Riendf wrote in the 38th comment:
All this elitism is pretty disgusting, to be honest.

Elitism…man the bar has been lowered dam low :)
18 Jun, 2013, quixadhal wrote in the 39th comment:
Lyanic said:
You also left out the part where one of the thin skins implied that we were all just like OP once. Then the part were I laughed at that ridiculous implication.

Well, to be fair, we had resources the young'uns lack. Back in our day, we could read books and teach ourselves how to do things we were interested in. Today, if google can't answer their question in 10 seconds, the problem is unsolvable.
18 Jun, 2013, Rarva.Riendf wrote in the 40th comment:
quixadhal said:
ll, to be fair, we had resources the young'uns lack. Back in our day, we could read books and teach ourselves how to do things we were interested in. Today, if google can't answer their question in 10 seconds, the problem is unsolvable.

https://www.google.fr/search?q=dbz+mud+s...

I think it past google 10 seconds solution now. It is at the point where they look for someone doing everything in their place, including the google request.
20.0/73