04 Jul, 2007, Omega wrote in the 21st comment:
Votes: 0
we have a happy hour, that happens 3 times a day with double xp/quad-damage/double qp. restores, as stated previously, playerbought.

there are other fun things too, minigames and such that happen on certain days of the month. and only on those days.
05 Jul, 2007, Conner wrote in the 22nd comment:
I generally do a version of superbless every hour and a half myself. Occassionally one of the lower imms will do one randomly, every now and then I alter the frequency of my superbless' to keep folks from logging on per schedule, and if I get folks asking for a superbless or a restore I stop doing them at all for awhile. But I also cast heal and uplift for players who ask for them infrequently too. *shrug*

I've found that the majority of my players do seem to appreciate these gifts, and for those who don't, well, what can I say? I have made my mud to my tastes, for the most part (there are still things I want to add/change that I haven't gotten done yet), so my target audience is basically those who share my tastes.
24 Aug, 2007, Vorlin wrote in the 23rd comment:
I revamped the restore function from ROM so that if a player was fighting a player, they didn't get restored. If they had timers from combat from an NPC and weren't fighting, less than a certain amount left, they got restored. If they were "safe" from combat but had lowered HP/Mana, they got restored. All newbies got restored regardless…and that was restricted to levels 5 and below (gotta give them a chance, hehe). All KILLER and THIEF flagged characters were never restored.

I don't consider doing a random restore all a bad thing…but only if it's because I'm either doing a copyover or reboot or something like that. I definitely don't do that every day.
13 Sep, 2007, darkraider wrote in the 24th comment:
I am going to make it so that in my mud the restore all will not affect players in pk. Restore all will be a buyable option for 100 qp's and I will personally do a restore all once in the morning when i login and once before I go to bed. Restore all in my opinion is not a some thing i wish to have done alot unless player bought. reason i want the restore all bought via qp is it gives the players more things to spend quest points on. I also want to have some powerful weapons /eq that are only qp bought and when players get to a certain level they will be required to use qp's to advance further this will encurage questing. such as in aardwolf where when a player reaches level 200 they have to spend 800 quest points to advance to level 201 1000 qp if they wish to advance to level 201 and give everyone 10 min of dbl exp.
13 Sep, 2007, Kjwah wrote in the 25th comment:
When I was last running my MUD I didn't have a "qspell" or "spellup" or "restore all" command.. It was a RPI game with heavy PvP.. Never went live.. I think people thought I was making it too realistic.. /shrug
02 Nov, 2007, ralgith wrote in the 26th comment:
Samson said:
Brinson, I fail to see how throwing the players the occasional bone is that much of a problem. Unless the game you're playing is strictly enforced RP or something you'll find that most people won't really care that much. I think an admin who gets bent out of shape over a random restore all is the one acting unprofessionally :)

I played on Eternal Darkness (ed.wolfpaw.net:9700) for quite a long time. They have a restore all, but are non pk (except on battlefield). During some of the incredibly hard fights (they have mobiles that take a group of 10 of the best players around 30 minutes to kill…) it is a great boon to have a random restore all pop up. I usually enjoyed them, since they are a "gift" from the gods. One alternative I've thought of using is in a system where the player's worship individual gods (immortals or coded gods as on my MUD) there would be a "restore worshipers" command. Would make things very interesting. However, my MUD is more about questing, and pk is only on a battlefield (counts for clan prestige and exp) or in the arena (more like sports competitions… a "sparring" match), so it wont bother my players.

Scandum said:
I just noticed my mud didn't have a restore all command, so I figured to impress the player base and added this feature myself since I couldn't find a snippet for it. There's been some minor bitching about mobs going to full health during fights, but all in all responses have been positive.

The command had a somewhat amateurish feel to it, as pointed out in this thread, so I added an All characters are being restored, please remain seated. sleep(3); Heuristic restoration completed. message. This greatly increased player appreciation… possibly they believe the command to be a complex algorithmic routine?

It's for CircleMUD, and I don't know if it was ever added to ftp, but I wrote one a few years back. *checks the ftp site*
http://www.circlemud.org/pub/CircleMUD/c...
Yup, its there. I like it, though I ended up redoing the default to be along the lines of: STC: restore who? :)

Now to my own opinions on it:
It really matters what type of MUD it is, doesn't it? In certain environments it has a place, and in others it complicates things with unneeded problems. This thread has gotten me thinking though, that maybe anyone in the arena or on the battlefield, should be ignored by the restore all command. This would only require a little check for the ROOM_ARENA and ROOM_BFIELD flags to keep it from restoring anyone in said rooms. Also, on RP MUDs, where there is a flag for when a player is participating in an RP, then it could check for that flag as well. Anyways, this really does depend on the MUD, the situation, and the style of the admins. Personally, I think its a great command. But then, my MUD is also implementing holidays, where all rewards are doubled :). You kill a 2000 exp mobile, and you get 4000 exp. You kill a 5 quest point mobile, you get 10 quest points. This is going to take us some time to propagate, as we just started it and are only in the discussion phase (discussing what holidays, what dates for them, etc) before I start the hard coding. It will however include a manual "holiday" command for the top levels of immortals. Something I would use during real holidays and such. Enjoy.

D.
20.0/26