02 Jul, 2007, Zeno wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Just curious, how often do you restore all? I restore all about twice a day. One time when I get up, and one time before I go to bed.
02 Jul, 2007, KaVir wrote in the 2nd comment:
Never. Even if I had a 'restore all' option (which I don't), I wouldn't use it, as it could seriously disrupt PK matches.
02 Jul, 2007, Brinson wrote in the 3rd comment:
It would piss me off to play a mud where random restores were given out.

No, seriously, I'd probably delete the mud off my mudlist.
02 Jul, 2007, Zeno wrote in the 4th comment:
Random restores, or random restore alls? :P I can see random restores, but not sure why restore alls are so bad.
02 Jul, 2007, Guest wrote in the 5th comment:
When we had an active player base, I don't think "restore all" got used more than a few times a month, and usually when it was mostly socializing going on. Nobody ever expected it to happen and we never made a habit of doing it on any kind of schedule.
02 Jul, 2007, Midboss wrote in the 6th comment:
I always used 'restore all' just before a copyover along with 'force all save' and a few other commands. Force of habit. I also always made sure to put on my damn helmet.
02 Jul, 2007, Scandum wrote in the 7th comment:
Disconnect all is much more fun, my mud even has a slay all command. :cool:
02 Jul, 2007, Brinson wrote in the 8th comment:
If its got a point, like before a copyover, meh. But if the imms are just randomly doing restore alls…that's shit. Its just very unprofessional in pretty much every way possible. Unrealistic, too. It throws off the balance of the game.

Plus, I don't really slay people. I prefer just freezing them for like a week, or putting them in a maze I TELL them has an exit, but it doesn't.
02 Jul, 2007, Zeno wrote in the 9th comment:
Unprofessional? I don't know about you, but I sure as hell didn't start mudding for anything even remotely close to professionalism. I never ran a MUD professionally either, nor do I intend to. Sure, you have to maintain some level of acting civil… but acting professional? Most MUDs are run as a hobby.
02 Jul, 2007, Guest wrote in the 10th comment:
Brinson, I fail to see how throwing the players the occasional bone is that much of a problem. Unless the game you're playing is strictly enforced RP or something you'll find that most people won't really care that much. I think an admin who gets bent out of shape over a random restore all is the one acting unprofessionally :)
02 Jul, 2007, Scandum wrote in the 11th comment:
I just noticed my mud didn't have a restore all command, so I figured to impress the player base and added this feature myself since I couldn't find a snippet for it. There's been some minor bitching about mobs going to full health during fights, but all in all responses have been positive.

The command had a somewhat amateurish feel to it, as pointed out in this thread, so I added an All characters are being restored, please remain seated. sleep(3); Heuristic restoration completed. message. This greatly increased player appreciation… possibly they believe the command to be a complex algorithmic routine?
02 Jul, 2007, Brinson wrote in the 12th comment:
Samson said:
Brinson, I fail to see how throwing the players the occasional bone is that much of a problem. Unless the game you're playing is strictly enforced RP or something you'll find that most people won't really care that much. I think an admin who gets bent out of shape over a random restore all is the one acting unprofessionally :)

All of the muds I play/run are strictly enforced rp :-p

I'm unsettled by the concept of a random restore ruining my well rpd pk. :(
02 Jul, 2007, Hades_Kane wrote in the 13th comment:
I usually do one when I log out.

Normally, I do check to see what player hp/mp % is at first, and if they are all at 100, then there's really no point, is there?

Maybe adding in a check to NOT restore players actively in a battle with another player would be a decent idea…

Otherwise, though, I see no problem with it. It becomes annoying when someone starts begging for a restore, though, and in which case they normally get the 'toast' command instead.

If I had players deleting because of restores, then more power to them. I'm not looking for that type of uptight playerbase anyway, so I guess it works itself out :)
02 Jul, 2007, Zeno wrote in the 14th comment:
Maybe adding in a check to NOT restore players actively in a battle with another player would be a decent idea…

Nah, then you just run into more issues (IE a 3rd person had just fled from a 3-way PK and is resting. The restore comes, the 2 fighting are at same HP and 3rd person is now at full HP)
02 Jul, 2007, kiasyn wrote in the 15th comment:
apparently:
Your last restore was 12209 hours and 31 minutes ago.
02 Jul, 2007, KaVir wrote in the 16th comment:
Hades_Kane said:

If my players are on their home plane, they automatically gain access to the 'restore' command (although it only works on themselves and other creatures on their home plane). Saves them having to sleep at the temple altar for half an hour :P
03 Jul, 2007, Brinson wrote in the 17th comment:
If a player had only played at any of my muds they would be unaware of the existance of the restore command.

Of course, I enjoy rp intense enviroments. If its social pk mud its a biit different.
03 Jul, 2007, Kayle wrote in the 18th comment:
Smaug actually has a clause in the restore all that will not affect "deadly" players. To get it to restore them you have to go well out of your way and do "for all restore #" or something to that effect.
03 Jul, 2007, Omega wrote in the 19th comment:
restore's can be purchased from immortals on my mud for 10,000 qp, which really hurts the player, because they need QP to level after level 60 (thus forcing them to quest to make through the game) but the restore they purchase, is the restore all, and only 1 imm can restore all whenever they want.. and thats me. :) cuz i'm powerhungry!
04 Jul, 2007, Vladaar wrote in the 20th comment:
Look at the times we are in now gentlemen…

Players are scarce, the eye of Mordor is fixed on mudbytes!

Well it's not that bad really, however I personally think, and use on my mud players are viewed as customers.
Customer satisifaction is the most important aspect of the mud. So if my players/customers don't like restores, they don't get them, if they do, they do. We generally do a version of superbless every 6 hours or so, and have a double experience hour we toss out there randomly now and then.

Vladaar
0.0/26