24 Feb, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 141st comment:
Votes: 0
Tonitrus said:
(Although damn is from damnare, which would split as dam-nar-e or dam-na-re (I forget which))

Dam-na-re, at least how we pronounced it in Latin class. (Which was in France, so who knows if they were mixing in some French accent in there…)

I actually think that 'em-ni-tee' sounds kind of silly myself, but I suppose that having taken many years of Latin makes me twitch when I hear it pronounced incorrectly. :tongue:
24 Feb, 2010, kiasyn wrote in the 142nd comment:
Kayle said:
Davion said:
DELETE FROM qsf_files WHERE file_author="Samson";

Yes, because that won't wreak havoc on your database or anything. [Edit:] Besides, You're well aware Samson is an author of the FUSS Project bases. And you're also well aware that we list the bases author as the SmaugFUSS community, SmaugMuds community or Various.

I didn't know that. I don't know why you'd expect us to know that. Regardless, if he asked for all files crediting him as author, then the FUSS projects wouldn't fall under that, as they don't credit him.
24 Feb, 2010, Tyche wrote in the 143rd comment:
Kayle said:
Yes, and in the given scenario, even with distribution being left out of the license, if the Merc team got their copy from the Diku team, and the Smaug team got their Merc from the Merc team, there would be no violations. Because all are derivatives, and the copyright holders are granted the right to distribute. So Diku gives to Merc team, Merc releases their Derivative work and distributes it, as is their right. Smaug gets it from the Merc team, and release their derivative. We take Smaug from Smaugs distribution center, and produce our own derivative. As the distribution always came from the copyright holders, in this situation, there are no violations.

The Merc team did not get Diku from the Diku team or the Diku distribution center.
Thoric did not get Merc from the Merc team or the Merc distribution center
You didn't get Smaug from the Smaug team or the Smaug distribution center.
You didn't have to.
24 Feb, 2010, Tyche wrote in the 144th comment:
kiasyn said:
I didn't know that. I don't know why you'd expect us to know that. Regardless, if he asked for all files crediting him as author, then the FUSS projects wouldn't fall under that, as they don't credit him.

Good point. Anyone know exactly who submitted contributions to the SmaugFUSS project?
24 Feb, 2010, Kayle wrote in the 145th comment:
Tyche said:
kiasyn said:

Good point. Anyone know exactly who submitted contributions to the SmaugFUSS project?

Yes. It's all listed on our forums, in the bugfix sections.
24 Feb, 2010, Tyche wrote in the 146th comment:
I just released a new derivative of SmaugFUSS. You can download it at my site or here pending approval.
All warnings still apply.

My only purpose in doing so is to attempt to figure out just WTF the SmaugFUSS teams position really is.
24 Feb, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 147th comment:
I think there's a word for when you do something only to provoke a reaction. Hmm…

I mean, hey, you could also try asking more politely and working to define it with them, instead of engaging show-down mode. Surely that would be more constructive, or at least less likely to prolong this fight.
24 Feb, 2010, Runter wrote in the 148th comment:
David Haley said:
I think there's a word for when you do something only to provoke a reaction. Hmm…

I mean, hey, you could also try asking more politely and working to define it with them, instead of engaging show-down mode. Surely that would be more constructive, or at least less likely to prolong this fight.

Kayle said multiple times this was acceptable.
24 Feb, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 149th comment:
Runter said:

Then why is Tyche unsure that this is acceptable?
24 Feb, 2010, Runter wrote in the 150th comment:
David Haley said:
Runter said:

Then why is Tyche unsure that this is acceptable?

Probably because he wants to shine a light on how unproductive demanding mudbytes no longer host the file is when it can A) be uploaded as a derivative directly to mudbytes and B) hosted any number of places and linked back here… in this very thread.
24 Feb, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 151st comment:
Imagine for a moment, if you will indulge me, a world in which people actually said what point they were making, instead of making everybody else guess at it… Wouldn't that be nice?
24 Feb, 2010, Keirath wrote in the 152nd comment:
Tyche, you're just trying to be a pain in the ass. Get. Over. Yourself. You aren't doing a single person in this community a favor. In fact, you are probably one of the biggest reasons that there is all this animosity.
25 Feb, 2010, tphegley wrote in the 153rd comment:
Will this train head into the station soon or is there any reason to keep beating a dead horse? (My opinion)

Are there still enough good informative posts coming from this topic or are we past the point? (Others opinion)

I just don't feel like we are really proving anything rather then to just go round and round in circles.

In first moderator's voice:
* No harassment. This includes but is not limited to: "trolling", "flaming", and antagonizing others for your own amusement.

I think a few posters are on the brink (maybe some will say have already crossed over) of this rule. Please be advised that we need to try and keep the antagonizing out of the posts. Things said/done out of spite of someone else could also be considered trolling.

Did I do that right? heh. I'm really not here to babysit, but just think the above needs a mention.
25 Feb, 2010, Runter wrote in the 154th comment:
Did I do that right?

Almost. You needed to use random caps on your warning text and compulsory ban.
25 Feb, 2010, Cratylus wrote in the 155th comment:
Keirath said:
Is that where Enema came from too?

lol emena
25 Feb, 2010, Scandum wrote in the 156th comment:
Kavir has an excellent point. As far as I know you cannot legally publish a copyrighted work without permission from the copyright holder. If the Diku license doesn't grant the right to distribute, you cannot legally distribute DikuMUD without contacting the Diku authors and getting permission, in other words, a private license for distribution.

If the FUSS authors are convinced of their stance, I suggest they provide evidence of their permission to distribute the FUSS codebases by the Diku, Merc, and Smaug authors, or stop distribution at once.
25 Feb, 2010, Kayle wrote in the 157th comment:
Tyche said:
I just released a new derivative of SmaugFUSS. You can download it at my site or here pending approval.
All warnings still apply.

My only purpose in doing so is to attempt to figure out just WTF the SmaugFUSS teams position really is.

I like how you've gone back to just being a grumpy old troll about this. I've already stated that if MudBytes wants to come to some kind of arrangement regarding the issue, they're free to open talks. The rest of you can just mind your own fucking business because at this point, it's between Davion, Kiasyn, Samson and I. The rest of you can take your opinions of the situation and shove them. I explained my actions, if you chose not to read it. Too bad. I'm done with this, if Davion or Kiasyn wanna talk about it. They know where they can find me, and they have my email address.
25 Feb, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 158th comment:
Scandum said:
If the FUSS authors are convinced of their stance, I suggest they provide evidence of their permission to distribute the FUSS codebases by the Diku, Merc, and Smaug authors, or stop distribution at once.

Yes, I agree that this is a wonderful idea, because it's pretty obvious that scorching the earth is the best way to solve this problem. :thinking: Let's nail one of the, if not the, most popular SMAUG distributions out there, all in the name of settling this grudge once and for all and seeing who gets the most MUD Drama Points.

Personally the outcome I'd be happiest with would be some kind of amicable resolution between the FUSS and MB folks. This will require both sides to drop some of their pride and work for the betterment of the community; here's to hoping both sides will do so.
25 Feb, 2010, Scandum wrote in the 159th comment:
David Haley said:
Personally the outcome I'd be happiest with would be some kind of amicable resolution between the FUSS and MB folks. This will require both sides to drop some of their pride and work for the betterment of the community; here's to hoping both sides will do so.

Ideally they admit that they didn't realize that their argument means they're violating their interpretation of the Diku license, agree that the Diku license does allow use, modification, and distribution, as per precedent.

The next request would be to no longer host the files on MudBytes (as neither Samson nor Kayle can upload) and instead link to smaugfuss.whatever instead - and perhaps update the software so this can be done in a nice and cool looking manner. I wouldn't mind having this feature for TinTin++ cause it's annoying to update files on both google code, sourceforge, and mudbytes.
25 Feb, 2010, kiasyn wrote in the 160th comment:
Scandum said:
David Haley said:

Ideally they admit that they didn't realize that their argument means they're violating their interpretation of the Diku license, agree that the Diku license does allow use, modification, and distribution, as per precedent.

I don't think its so much pride on our point as we simply don't want to have to deal with content removal requests, esp. over grudges. If someone has a legit reason for code removal, ie code theft etc, then sure, we can see that. But someone getting us to remove it just cause they have a grudge with us is a waste of our time.
140.0/174