22 Jun, 2008, Zenn wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
So, I fiigure that SMAUG has a community center. A central website where everybody can gather to discuss SMAUG MUDs.

Well, now there's one for SWR. It incorporates a forums, code-repository, MUD listing and social networking site all into one, dedicated to SWR and it's derivatives.

http://www.swrmuds.spruz.com/

This is a place for the owners, coders, builders, and players of SWR MUDs to gather in a place specifically dedicated to them.

If you would like your site listed, send an email to zenntheadmin@gmail.com with it's information.
- Name
- Rating (G, PG-13-14-16, 18+)
- Address
- Website
- Codebase
- Owner(s)
- Classless? Levelless? MSP?
- 3-6 items or so of code unique to your MUD
- Average players online
- World size (In room numbers)

Thank you!

- Zenn
SWRC Administration

[Edit: Changed URL to site]
22 Jun, 2008, Kayle wrote in the 2nd comment:
Doesn't SWR Qualify as a Smaug mud? and therefore fall in the SmaugMuds community?
22 Jun, 2008, Zenn wrote in the 3rd comment:
Doesn't SMAUG qualify as a Merc MUD? And therefore fall in with the Merc community?

:tongue:
22 Jun, 2008, Guest wrote in the 4th comment:
Yes, now point me to the Mercmuds.org community site and I'll concede your point…. :)
22 Jun, 2008, The_Fury wrote in the 5th comment:
Merc/Derivitive Programers Webring? Sorry i was bored while waiting for kmuddy to compile.
22 Jun, 2008, Zeno wrote in the 6th comment:
I don't understand why people use cjb.net, it distributes Spyware.
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Spyware/?p=756
22 Jun, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 7th comment:
A webring is pretty different from an actual community website. Besides, that webring is pretty small…

Is there any indication that there is any demand for yet another community website? It seems to me that consolidating this on SmaugMuds would be a much better move, unless there's a good reason to not do so that I am not seeing.

(And yes, CJB is nasty.)
22 Jun, 2008, Zenn wrote in the 8th comment:
I randomly picked a free redirection service.

Here's the actual link to the website.

http://www.swrmuds.spruz.com/

Enjoy.

- Zenn
22 Jun, 2008, Guest wrote in the 9th comment:
Zeno said:
I don't understand why people use cjb.net, it distributes Spyware.
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Spyware/?p=756

Because not all of us are aware of this - I wasn't, not that I use their services for anything. Then again, I don't surf with my pants down either ( by using IE ) :)
22 Jun, 2008, The_Fury wrote in the 10th comment:
DavidHaley said:
A webring is pretty different from an actual community website. Besides, that webring is pretty small…

Sorry David, it was a moment of ill fated humor, The size of the webring was sort of the irony of the story. Like i said i was bored while waiting for kmuddy to compile.
23 Jun, 2008, Conner wrote in the 11th comment:
The_Fury said:
DavidHaley said:

Sorry David, it was a moment of ill fated humor, The size of the webring was sort of the irony of the story. Like i said i was bored while waiting for kmuddy to compile.

Have to admit, The_Fury, I had a similar thought myself when I first saw it, though I was trying not to comment to this thread since I've got absolutely nothing to do with SWR. *shrug*

On the other hand, given the explanation, it makes MUCH more sense now and I can clearly see the point you were making. :lol:
23 Jun, 2008, The_Fury wrote in the 12th comment:
Thanks Conner, Its good to know im not the only one with a slightly out there sense of humor. :)
24 Jun, 2008, Zenn wrote in the 13th comment:
Doesn't Diku qualify as a MUD? And therefore fall in with the MUD community? Let's just abolish all codebase-specific sites and create a central 'MUD' community center!

:wink:

But yeah, I see your point.
24 Jun, 2008, kiasyn wrote in the 14th comment:
Zenn said:
Doesn't Diku qualify as a MUD? And therefore fall in with the MUD community? Let's just abolish all codebase-specific sites and create a central 'MUD' community center!

:wink:

But yeah, I see your point.

hey, we did - its called mudbytes
24 Jun, 2008, Zenn wrote in the 15th comment:
Aha! And yet there are still community specific sites.. hmm.
25 Jun, 2008, Conner wrote in the 16th comment:
And, amazingly enough, only the bigger branch based ones really tend to have activity.. seen any really good DBSaga sites yet? How about Merc? Diku? Even AFKMud ended up being merged into the SmaugFUSS site.. oh, wait, SWR is already there too and another place as well, perhaps creating a third place for SWR muds is a bit redundant? :rolleyes:

Ultimately, if you want to host another site for SWR muds, more power to you, we're just saying that it's a bit redundant. :shrug:
26 Jun, 2008, darkraider wrote in the 17th comment:
there is def no shortage of them we need less sites i would honestly like one site with everything on it
26 Jun, 2008, Kline wrote in the 18th comment:
Now I don't know that I'd like a single community site, as I do think the niche sites can better cater to their specific bases' issues, but I would like a single lists/code/chatter site. I really don't visit MM, TMC, or any of the others for the forums or code like I do here. That, and some of the smaller bases (with loyal fans :) tend to get overshadowed a bit.

Like Ack! based MUDs get a mention here – listed in the code repo, and as a Merc derivative on the boards, but that's about it. Not much discussion about anything specific, no areas or snips to share, common bugs and issues, etc… You SMAUG people pretty well set up shop here :P, but there's at least about 20 of us enjoying having our own site to be at I think :)
26 Jun, 2008, Mabus wrote in the 19th comment:
Kline said:
You SMAUG people pretty well set up shop here

Imagine how us poor little CoffeeMud folks feel!

I agree that niche sites can be a "good thing". I often try to help people on the CM Yahoo site that have issues, or want code. I see nothing wrong with an SWR, or any other codebase-specific, community site. If a search engine can find it, the people are helpful and the resources easy to find any site can be an aid to people looking for answers (or looking to answer questions).

Best of luck with the new site.
26 Jun, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 20th comment:
There is a problem with diluting a community when code is shared. If SWRFUSS bugs are reported and handled somewhere else, there is an additional layer involved in getting them back to the FUSS maintainers. Many code questions are not SWR-specific and can be answered by people who have never even seen SWR; however, these people who don't use SWR will not visit an SWR-specific site. For this reason, people who go to the SWR site will be getting a much smaller audience in terms of who can answer their questions.

Basically, having a niche site is a good idea if the niche is independent enough to warrant it. But there is a difference between actually needing a niche site, and creating it just for the sake of creating it. It's unclear to me whether or not a SWR-specific site is really needed in the first place, and (IMHO of course) I think it would actually be more productive to keep things in one place for the reasons given above, in previous posts, and otherwise.
0.0/24