18 Oct, 2008, Valo wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
We have recently been having a message appear with the @dump that the database saves have failed. When we @dump we see:

Dumping…
Dumping…
GAME: ERROR! Database save failed!

If anyone can have any input, please help us. Thank.s
19 Oct, 2008, Kline wrote in the 2nd comment:
Hi I'm guessing this is a form of MUSH? Please reply with what code and version you're running specifically so folks can best try to help you.
19 Oct, 2008, Valo wrote in the 3rd comment:
We're running PennMUSH version 1.8.3 patchlevel 3.
19 Oct, 2008, Vassi wrote in the 4th comment:
Valo said:

Unfortunately that error could mean just about anything. Since you're sure it happened only recently, the answer then likely involves any changes done to the code recently. The documentation in the source very helpfully says:

/* The dump failed. Disk might be full or something went bad with the
compression slave. Boo! */

Digging a little deeper in the DB it looks like you should find your answer in whatever log the MUD outputs. I.E.:

do_rawlog(LT_ERR, "DB: Illegal character '%c'(%d) in value, line %d",
c, c, dbline);
longjmp(db_err, 1);

The longjmp sets the condition for the dump to tell you that it failed, but the log should show you the reason the DB failed just before the "GAME: ERROR! Database save failed!" entry …so check your log, it's probably a problem in an area file or something.

Disclaimer: I'm just guessing, I'm neither a C guru nor familiar with PennMUSH.
19 Oct, 2008, Valo wrote in the 5th comment:
Vassi said:
Valo said:

Unfortunately that error could mean just about anything. Since you're sure it happened only recently, the answer then likely involves any changes done to the code recently. The documentation in the source very helpfully says:

/* The dump failed. Disk might be full or something went bad with the
compression slave. Boo! */

Digging a little deeper in the DB it looks like you should find your answer in whatever log the MUD outputs. I.E.:

do_rawlog(LT_ERR, "DB: Illegal character '%c'(%d) in value, line %d",
c, c, dbline);
longjmp(db_err, 1);

The longjmp sets the condition for the dump to tell you that it failed, but the log should show you the reason the DB failed just before the "GAME: ERROR! Database save failed!" entry …so check your log, it's probably a problem in an area file or something.

Disclaimer: I'm just guessing, I'm neither a C guru nor familiar with PennMUSH.

Going through the shell, I noticed that there are several outdb.#<#>#.gz files that are listed such as:

outdb.#1#.gz
outdb.#10#.gz
outdb.#100#.gz
outdb.#101#.gz
outdb.#102#.gz
outdb.#103#.gz
outdb.#104#.gz
outdb.#105#.gz
….

And it goes from 1 to 162 and then it skips to 517 to 520. Are these suppose to be there or can I delete these files? They're all 0 bytes in size and when I open them, they're empty.
19 Oct, 2008, Vassi wrote in the 6th comment:
http://www.pennmush.org/archives/pennmus...

Has a conversation much like what you're describing. Found it via Google.

Follow the thread of the conversation via the links on the bottom, there's three or four replies to the question there. See if that helps - but the gist of it seems to be that either you're out of disk space, or you changed your compression settings somehow.
19 Oct, 2008, Valo wrote in the 7th comment:
Thanks Vassi. Hopefully it helps.

*Edit:* Yup. Fixed the problem. Thank you so much, Vassi.
0.0/7