01 Oct, 2008, The_Fury wrote in the 21st comment:
Votes: 0
FLTK is not for working in command line, its sole purpose is for debugging and fixing things when something goes wrong.. When you installed Andlinux it was either Kde or Xfce version, each one of those installed a launcher app that is in the task tray. Click on it to start applications, andlinux will automaticly login the root user for you.

Click on the launcher and start the installed programs from there. You cannot miss it, its a bright blue K if Kde and a dirty great thing sitting in the middle of the screen if its Xfce.

Im tired, i think i should go to bed. As for it not being easy, well it is super simple when you read the instructions, there is a ton of it on the website.

To start andLinux (in case you didn't choose automatic startup during the setup), use the "Start andLinux" shortcut from the start menu (or desktop or quicklaunch icons if created during setup). In case you chose to run andLinux in a command window, andLinux will run in a minimized window labeled "andServer (coLinux)"; do not close this window! If you chose to run andLinux automatically as a NT service, you'll find srvstart.bat in the installation folder – just in case you may need to restart it manually.

Once andLinux is completely running, you may start applications using the XFCE Panel resp. the andLinux Launcher. Note that the first startup of an application may take some time because some applications perform configuration tasks at the first startup.

Note: Even if andLinux does not fully startup, you might be able to login to andLinux using FLTK or NT console for debugging purposes.

Umm and look on the wiki there is lots of information there also.

Alternative way of starting Linux programs

XFCE panel and andLinux Launcher are nice, but I want the least possible number of special objects on my Windows desktop. I just need a terminal emulator, as I can start all programs from the shell. The andCmd.exe binary comes in handy here. I have created two Windows batch files (for a root and a normal user shell):

C:\Programme\andLinux\Launcher\andCmd.exe xterm -bg orange

C:\Programme\andLinux\Launcher\andCmd.exe sudo su - ah -c xterm

Of course the chosen terminal emulator (as well as the background color of the root shell ;-) ) is a matter of taste.

That is something that i did not know and found out just now on the wiki, i am going to place all the apps i use regularly now into the windows start menu under andlinux and scrap the launcher. LOL
01 Oct, 2008, Igabod wrote in the 22nd comment:
i already don't like andLinux just because of the difficulty i'm having at getting started. now when i click konsole absolutely nothing happens. no error messages, no window pops up, nothing. maybe i'll just have to try doing this on a night when we're not so busy here at work cause this is making me feel like i'm completely retarded.
01 Oct, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 23rd comment:
Igabod said:
maybe i'll just have to try doing this on a night when we're not so busy here at work cause this is making me feel like i'm completely retarded.

I bet I can think of some other people too who would prefer that you not do all this during a busy time at work! :lol:

Seriously though, with all of this stuff you need to be patient and not rush around without reading instructions. If you do thinks without paying enough attention, you might even break something more or less irretrievably and find out quite a bit later that you have to start from scratch.
01 Oct, 2008, Chris Bailey wrote in the 24th comment:
What David said is very true Igabod. Im sorry if I came off as less than helpful but there is a lot of information available on the andLinux website and in the documentation and all of your questions would have been answered if you read through it. I just recently installed andLinux and came across a few problems myself that were quickly resolved by browsing the documentation and forum. In the future you should try to RTFM and then ask your questions.
01 Oct, 2008, quixadhal wrote in the 25th comment:
The first thing to realize is that linux isn't a program, it's an entire operating system, just like windows. If you're using something that lets you run it from windows, you're running the OS in a virtual machine. Why does that matter? Only because the linux OS itself doesn't know that it doesn't have full control of the machine. From it's point of view, it IS your computer and thus it sets up a whole slew of services, just like windows does.

Konsole is a KDE graphical application that probably (I don't use it myself) contacts a local server process that listens on port 81. It's pretty common in the unix world to write server applications that do the work, and graphical frontends that talk to them via the same kind of sockets you'd use if it were halfway around the world on some other machine. It means if you wanted to remote-administer, you'd be able to use Konsole but tell it to use a different IP/port.

Personally, I've never used this particular package and would probably be just as frustrated, simply because I'm an old unix warhorse and all these GUI things usually annoy me since they all work differently. So, don't feel bad if it takes some time to figure out…. it is, after all, an entire OS. I'd expect any of the unix experts here to be similarly befuddled if they sat down at an AmigaDOS prompt. :)
02 Oct, 2008, Conner wrote in the 26th comment:
Actually, Quix, you'd be surprised, I would be more at home with an old-style AmigaDOS prompt in many ways, I used to spend countless hours playing a brand new game I'd bought for my Amiga 1000 called The Bard's Tale way back when.. :wink: …course, before that I used to spent even more time working with word perfect, peachtree general ledger, multimate, and others from floppies under zDOS on my cpm/cobol-80 based Zenith-Heathkit z100 color computer.. ah, the good ol' days. :blues:

As for konsole, it's just KDE's version of terminal, check out http://konsole.kde.org/ for help with it, though he still might want to check the andlinux links already provided in case it's more a andlinux specific issue.
02 Oct, 2008, The_Fury wrote in the 27th comment:
quixadhal said:
The first thing to realize is that linux isn't a program, it's an entire operating system, just like windows. If you're using something that lets you run it from windows, you're running the OS in a virtual machine. Why does that matter? Only because the linux OS itself doesn't know that it doesn't have full control of the machine. From it's point of view, it IS your computer and thus it sets up a whole slew of services, just like windows does.

Andlinux is a port of the Linux kernel to windows. There is no virtual machine, no emulation, it is pure native Linux that uses windows as the desktop. The Andlinux launcher is a native windows app that communicates with the Andlinux network via that port, to start applications within Andlinux. If Andlinux is still in the process of booting, there is no network interface to communicate over thus the launcher will report an error on 192.168.1.150:81 Once fully booted it is just a matter of using the launcher to select the application you would like to start, this will login the root user, and start the appropriate application.
03 Oct, 2008, Igabod wrote in the 28th comment:
alright, i got andlinux working, i don't know what my problem was the other night, i did it just the same as i did this time and didn't get the same results but thats not my problem anymore. now i just need to know how to move my files to the directory for andlinux. i have looked in c:\program files\andLinux\ and the various sub-directories within that directory but when i'm in konsole i only see an empty directory called windows.
03 Oct, 2008, Chris Bailey wrote in the 29th comment:
Windows should not be an empty directory. That will be your primary windows partition. Did you use Cofs or samba to mount your windows partition?
03 Oct, 2008, Igabod wrote in the 30th comment:
to be honest, i don't really remember but i think it was cofs.
03 Oct, 2008, Chris Bailey wrote in the 31st comment:
So when you navigate into the windows directory using konsole it is completely empty? That is very strange and unfortunately being as new to andLinux as I am I don't know what would cause that. All I can think of is that the partition isn't properly mounted. Easy fix in linux but andLinux seems to have some sort of special mounting procedures, you will have to check the forums on their website unless someone else here has an idea.
03 Oct, 2008, Igabod wrote in the 32nd comment:
i figure it's just some option i selected when doing the installation that i wasn't paying attention to because i was trying to do this on a busy night. (the hotel i work at switched owners that night completely without any warning to even a lowly manager such as myself.)
03 Oct, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 33rd comment:
I think you sort of have an answer right there…? :rolleyes: I mean seriously, you shouldn't be doing things like this if you can't pay attention. :wink: Remember what I said about breaking something to the point where it's easier to just reinstall? Maybe it would be easier for you to reinstall this from scratch and try again, at a point when you have time to step through it carefully, following documentation.
04 Oct, 2008, Igabod wrote in the 34th comment:
yeah, i was afraid of that.
04 Oct, 2008, The_Fury wrote in the 35th comment:
And make sure to use COFFs it is easier than Samba. Once andlinux is running use Konquerer to navigage /mnt/win and then into your windows files.

If you cannot get that working, just email the files to yourself and then use Konquerer to get them wrom your webmail app.
04 Oct, 2008, Davion wrote in the 36th comment:
The_Fury said:
And make sure to use COFFs it is easier than Samba. Once andlinux is running use Konquerer to navigage /mnt/win and then into your windows files.

If you cannot get that working, just email the files to yourself and then use Konquerer to get them wrom your webmail app.

Email them!? Ya know, you could just use mount to successfully mount the hdd to you linux partition. Just look in /dev/ to see which partitions are exposed and mount them wherever.
04 Oct, 2008, The_Fury wrote in the 37th comment:
Davion said:
The_Fury said:

Email them!? Ya know, you could just use mount to successfully mount the hdd to you linux partition. Just look in /dev/ to see which partitions are exposed and mount them wherever.

There are certain instances when Coffs can fail, however it should work out of the box mounting the windows partition under /mnt/win , my suggestion of emailing them is as a work around to get them into linux if coffs fails and the OP is not skilled enough to mount file systems manually.
20.0/37