24 Aug, 2008, Hades_Kane wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Samson said:
The Georgia thread was locked for flamebaiting, not for posting controversial political opinions.

I wasn't flame baiting, I was posting a controversial political opinion. The original post in which the OP claimed or insinuated that Russia was invading Georgia for Oil was no different than me suggesting that the US invaded Iraq for oil.

Both were suggesting that the start for a war was over oil. You were clearly offended by that comment it seems, but wouldn't a Russian be just as easily offended by the OP's suggestion that Russia was starting wars over oil?

The -only- difference there was that the Admins of the Site are (presumably) American rather than Russian. My post was no more flame bait than the OP's was. I responded to his controversial political opinion with one of my own.

Samson said:
http://www.mudbytes.net/index.php?a=topi... is the other one where you trolled the thread looking to goad a reaction which resulted in the immediate thread lock.

Ah, I missed that. Seems like a bit of an overreaction, but to each their own I suppose. Still proves that Kayle was wrong in trying to say I've had two threads locked because of flaming, and that I'm still owed an apology.

If you aren't going to place in the rules that posting politically sensitive material is against the rules, and we aren't allowed to warn someone to veer from topics like that, then how are people supposed to know what is and isn't against the policy of what's appropriate to discuss here on the site? This heavy-handed thread-locking without a chance for matters to resolve themselves and without any reference point in rules is a bit oppressive for a site that was supposed to be an escape from the policies of places like Mud Magic.

Samson said:
All of this flamebaiting, trolling, personal attacks and other crap needs to stop and stop fast. If you people can't handle that then you need to find somewhere else to be trolls and flamebaiters.

It seems that you guys are taking way too many things out of context and looking at things as flamebaiting, trolling, and personal attacks when they aren't. My post in the Georgia thread had no intention of trying to incite flaming, but rather counter the point (in almost the exact same manner) that the OP made about Russia. Likewise, I was warning DavidHaley that making comments about China and the Olympics as he did could lead to getting the thread locked because of the politically sensitive nature of the thread, and was not flamebaiting. Anything I've had to say in regards to |spider|'s typing has been nothing but constructive criticism, and I'm glad to see that he has come to realize that and has taken my advice about adding that to his sig, and I sincerely wish him nothing but the best.

I don't think that we "can't handle" playing nice, it's honestly beginning to look like you guys "can't handle" someone saying something you disagree with without jumping to the conclusion that it's trolling, flamebaiting, or a personal attack, then locking the thread. It's getting to the point that if someone makes even the slightest misstep, the hammer is brought down on the thread.

Is this severe atmosphere of oppression really what you want for your site? Maybe you guys need to make it clear that the -only- discussion allowed here is MUD-related, do away with the general board, or just do away with the forums in general, because apparently this whole "forum thing" doesn't seem to be working here real well within the line that you apparently want for it.
24 Aug, 2008, Guest wrote in the 2nd comment:
Votes: 0
This topic is doomed to go nowhere but downhill so take it as you will, but it's locked now.
0.0/2