10 Jul, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I just finished a move to NYC from CA. I've been on my laptop for about a month, and only just got my main computer back. So now I have all my files again and can resume the various projects I was working on. :smile: Anyhow, just FYI for whoever cares.

Another FYI: if anybody uses www.binarygoblins.com e.g. for bzr repos, it's currently down – that server isn't back up yet. I'll be getting it in a few days, and need to figure out a dyndns setup.
10 Jul, 2008, Zeno wrote in the 2nd comment:
Ouch, you went from bad to worse.
http://www.gasbuddy.com/gb_gastemperatur...
[EDIT] Er, make that from worse to slightly better. :P

Anyway, hope the move went smoothly. I'm in the process of moving, but I'm staying in NY. :P
10 Jul, 2008, Pedlar wrote in the 3rd comment:
zeno, he went from worse to bad he went from CA -> NY, not NY -> CA, David I live in Vermont, and im m,oving to Virgina Aug 4th, cause i can't stand the winters up here, they suck ass.too much snow for me, im Originally from Kitty Hawk, NC
10 Jul, 2008, Fizban wrote in the 4th comment:
Yikes even worse than here, though I still say the $4.24 - $4.32 bracket that my county did fall in is bad enough.
10 Jul, 2008, Pedlar wrote in the 5th comment:
heh, in VT its 4.00 :D
10 Jul, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 6th comment:
Fortunately for me, gas prices are basically irrelevant as I will be selling my car very soon. There's no need to have a car in NYC once you finish things like getting furniture, and it costs about $300 a month for a parking place.

When I drove across the country though I got to see some of those good gas prices. But when I did it, Nevada was a good deal lower than what that map says. When I crossed the border at Pahrump near Las Vegas, prices dropped about 40 cents. The positive side of all these gas prices is that maybe, finally, we'll start seeing fuel efficiency like in Europe (where 30mpg is on the low end, and 40mpg, 50mpg is not at all uncommon for non-hybrid cars, at least as far as everybody I know over there tells me) now that people have an incentive to really care about it.

Now, rent levels bother me a lot more than gas prices, and unfortunately those sums tend to be quite a bit bigger than gas… :sad: But hey, it's NYC.
10 Jul, 2008, Metsuro wrote in the 7th comment:
Virginia is horrible dont move here…. well not to tidewater anyway.
10 Jul, 2008, Fizban wrote in the 8th comment:
Pedlar said:

Can we trade? I paid $71 to fill up my car yesterday at $4.24.
10 Jul, 2008, Pedlar wrote in the 9th comment:
im moving to Fredricksberg( Hour north of Richmond, and Hour south of D.C) I just put 6.5 gallons in my car, with 25 dollars, (3.99 a gallon!)
11 Jul, 2008, Conner wrote in the 10th comment:
Metsuro said:
Virginia is horrible dont move here…. well not to tidewater anyway.

Metsuro, which part of the Tidewater area are you in?

Fizban said:
Pedlar said:

:snicker: I live in Virginia, but the Southwestern tip of it, I paid $3.86/gallon for gas last night. :tongue:

Pedlar said:
im moving to Fredricksberg( Hour north of Richmond, and Hour south of D.C) I just put 6.5 gallons in my car, with 25 dollars, (3.99 a gallon!)

So, Pedlar, the next time I need to travel north for a visit with my son and his son, or my lawyer, or.. whatever… You want to try to get together for a cup of coffee or something? (Welcome to Virginia, but you can keep the rush hour up there where you are, I want none of it.)
11 Jul, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 11th comment:
Conner said:
Fizban said:
Pedlar said:

:snicker: I live in Virginia, but the Southwestern tip of it, I paid $3.86/gallon for gas last night. :tongue:

I live in New York, pay $80 a month, and get to go wherever I want, whenever I want, at whatever hour I want, and pretty quickly, too. :tongue: Long live decent public transportation!
11 Jul, 2008, Fizban wrote in the 12th comment:
True, but my mortgage is $1,800 after taxes and including home insurance, whereas you will pay more than that for a small apartment in NYC.
11 Jul, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 13th comment:
True enough. NYC rent is twice that of Palo Alto, and Palo Alto is supposed to be expensive. But, I console myself with the knowledge that I'm in NYC…
11 Jul, 2008, Metsuro wrote in the 14th comment:
I live in between VA beach, chesapeake and norfolk. Its like the corner for VA beach next to them both.
11 Jul, 2008, Zeno wrote in the 15th comment:
Wonder if there's a heatmap website for rent costs.
11 Jul, 2008, Pedlar wrote in the 16th comment:
Metsuro, I was born in Chesapeake General Hospital, and my grand parents, (Mothers and Fathers side) Aunts and Uncles all live in Virgina Beach

Also, Conner: Ill be moving in there August 4th, and when I get inet backup and running after that id love to meetup withya sometime think itd be sick, actually gonna go to work in Richmond, and go to ECPI there for IT/Computer Programing
11 Jul, 2008, Conner wrote in the 17th comment:
DavidHaley said:
True enough. NYC rent is twice that of Palo Alto, and Palo Alto is supposed to be expensive. But, I console myself with the knowledge that I'm in NYC…

Yeah.. I won't comment on what I pay monthly for gas to go even where public transportation wouldn't dare, while I only pay $200/month for 1.3 acres of land on which the home I own free and clear sits… :tongue:

Metsuro said:
I live in between VA beach, chesapeake and norfolk. Its like the corner for VA beach next to them both.

Oh cool, the next time we head out to Williamsburg/Jamestown we'll have to look you up then. :)

Zeno said:
Wonder if there's a heatmap website for rent costs.

No idea, but I bet there is. There's a web site for everything, isn't there?
11 Jul, 2008, Conner wrote in the 18th comment:
Pedlar said:
Ill be moving in there August 4th, and when I get inet backup and running after that id love to meetup withya sometime think itd be sick, actually gonna go to work in Richmond, and go to ECPI there for IT/Computer Programing

Sounds great, Dragona & I love to be able to put faces to the names of folks we know from online alone, particularly among our friends in the MUD community. :smile:

On the other hand, if you're going to be up there near Woodbridge and working down in Richmond, that's one commute I can't begin to envy. :frown:
11 Jul, 2008, Davion wrote in the 19th comment:
$4 a gallon is nothing. I live in Vancouver BC, up here in Canadia and we pay $1.50/L, which is around $6 a gallon. You guys have it lucky!
11 Jul, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 20th comment:
Same for Europe. The US has almost always enjoyed relatively low gas prices for various reasons, e.g. subsidies and taxes. The positive side of all of this is that it finally gives more people a reason to care about related issues such as fuel efficiency and public transportation.
0.0/57