05 Mar, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 41st comment:
Votes: 0
KaVir said:
As I keep saying, it depends on the relationship between the parties

I thought we had established that we were talking about the aggregate case…
06 Mar, 2008, KaVir wrote in the 42nd comment:
Not really (as we don't know what Mabus's exact situation is), but it doesn't really matter as I've already answered it for both cases.
06 Mar, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 43rd comment:
You were replying to me, no, so does it not make the most sense to reply to what I describe, and not what I don't? Well, anyhow, I'm ready to agree to disagree on this issue since pursuing it further seems like a complete waste of time. :smile:
06 Mar, 2008, KaVir wrote in the 44th comment:
DavidHaley said:
You were replying to me, no, so does it not make the most sense to reply to what I describe, and not what I don't?

If you're talking about this statement:

DavidHaley said:
So… you don't find it unusual to pay a consultant for work, and not have the IP transferred to you?

…then I did already answer. I said that that it depends on the relationship between the parties; if the contractor was developing the software "in house" then I would find it unusual, but if they were developing the software externally then I would not find it unusual. It sounds to me like Mabus's situation falls into the latter category, and so I don't find it unusual for him to want to license his software.
06 Mar, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 45th comment:
Why is it that I have the impression that this is going in circles? Hadn't we already established that the question referred to the aggregate? :sigh: Well, hey, whatever. :shrug:
06 Mar, 2008, KaVir wrote in the 46th comment:
It doesn't make sense to give an aggregate answer. It would be like asking "Do you find it unusual for people to have hairy nipples?" and then refusing to accept the answer "it depends on their gender; if they're male then no, if they're female then yes"
06 Mar, 2008, syn wrote in the 47th comment:
KaVir said:
It doesn't make sense to give an aggregate answer. It would be like asking "Do you find it unusual for people to have hairy nipples?" and then refusing to accept the answer "it depends on their gender; if they're male then no, if they're female then yes"

Hehe, sometimes female too… Depending on where in the world you are :P

-Syn
06 Mar, 2008, Fizban wrote in the 48th comment:
There are other mud developers who also sell licences, such as DikuII ($900 per licence), Rapture ($10K per licence) and DGD ($100K per licence). If they sold exclusive rights rather than just a licence they would only be able to sell a single copy, which obviously wouldn't leave them with much of a business.

I'm sorry, but 100k for a non-exclusive mud license is preposterous. It's a joke, who is going to pay $100,000 for a non exclusive license to a mud? Has anyone ever purchased a license of it?
06 Mar, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 49th comment:
$100k even for an exclusive MUD license (i.e. purchasing the IP) sounds a little surprising, never mind for a non-exclusive license. I'm also curious to hear how much success that business venture has had…
06 Mar, 2008, KaVir wrote in the 50th comment:
Fizban said:
I'm sorry, but 100k for a non-exclusive mud license is preposterous.

Sorry, my mistake…

It's $100K per year.

http://phantasmal.sourceforge.net/DGD/Sk...
07 Mar, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 51st comment:
That sounds even more preposterous…
07 Mar, 2008, KaVir wrote in the 52nd comment:
Fizban said:
Has anyone ever purchased a license of it?

http://www.skotos.net/about/pr/Feb05_199...

"BERKELEY, CA, Feb. 5, 1999 – Skotos Tech, an online game company located near the University of California at Berkeley, today announced that it had acquired a license to DGD, a powerful online game server. The licensing agreement was signed by Christopher Allen, President & CEO of Skotos Tech, and Michael S. Oswald, General Counsel to Acuity Corporation. "I’ve had my eyes on DGD for a while," said Christopher Allen. "Its acquisition will provide Skotos Tech with a solid development base and will substantially reduce our time to market."

Also:

"IChat used DGD to create a powerful chat server, which was licensed by Yahoo! and other well-known Internet companies."
07 Mar, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 53rd comment:
It's worth mentioning that they didn't just purchase a license to use it in their game. They purchased a license to do almost whatever they wanted with it. The $100k/year figure seems very different all of a sudden:
The article KaVir linked to said:
The only restriction upon Skotos Tech’s use is that it can not offer DGD for the primary purpose of customer support.
07 Mar, 2008, KaVir wrote in the 54th comment:
DavidHaley said:
It's worth mentioning that they didn't just purchase a license to use it in their game. They purchased a license to do almost whatever they wanted with it.

But the point was that they bought a licence, and not exclusive rights.
07 Mar, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 55th comment:
Great! You have one piece of anecdotal evidence: a clear winner for showing the usual case! :rolleyes:

Anyhow, the point I was making was that your posts made it sound like somebody just bought a license to use the MUD. It didn't sound like somebody had bought the right to do almost everything with the MUD.
07 Mar, 2008, syn wrote in the 56th comment:
Then show some evidence backing up your claim, please. :rolleyes:
07 Mar, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 57th comment:
Are you referring to my claim that the usual case is that IP is transferred? That claim is trivially true if you agree that the usual case is the employee (which, unless you think there are more 3rd-party developers than employees, you agree to).

Are you seriously suggesting that there are more instances of people selling non-exclusive licenses than there instances of a person being paid to produce work that belongs to the paying company? KaVir at least distinguishes based on different cases…
07 Mar, 2008, KaVir wrote in the 58th comment:
DavidHaley said:
Great! You have one piece of anecdotal evidence: a clear winner for showing the usual case!

Firstly, I never claimed it was "the usual case" for mud developers to sell licences rather than exclusive rights, only that it wasn't unusual.

Secondly, I cited three licences - the other two being DikuII ($900 per licence) and Rapture ($10K per licence).

Now it's your turn to provide a list of mud codebases where the developer has sold exclusive rights.

DavidHaley said:
Anyhow, the point I was making was that your posts made it sound like somebody just bought a license to use the MUD. It didn't sound like somebody had bought the right to do almost everything with the MUD.

They bought a non-exclusive licence, and it was exclusive vs non-exclusive rights that we were debating.

DavidHaley said:
Are you referring to my claim that the usual case is that IP is transferred? That claim is trivially true if you agree that the usual case is the employee

Not within the context of muds, it isn't. How many muds developers are classified as "employees" under the common law of agency?

Furthermore, we've already established that Mabus is (almost certainly) not an employee. That's why we've been talking about independent contractors and not employees.
07 Mar, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 59th comment:
KaVir said:
Firstly, I never claimed it was "the usual case" for mud developers to sell licences rather than exclusive rights, only that it wasn't unusual.

You know, you should have said so earlier… if that is what you have been trying to say, then you haven't been arguing against what I've been trying to say all this time, and we could have saved a lot of time and effort…

KaVir said:
Now it's your turn to provide a list of mud codebases where the developer has sold exclusive rights.

Heh – have you even been reading what I've been writing? For starters, I've been talking about developers in general – I never mentioned anything about MUD developers in particular. So given that I never argued that MUD coders sell exclusive rights, I do not see why the burden of proving this statement is being landed in my lap…

KaVir said:
Not within the context of muds, it isn't.

OK. I am going to say this for the last time, Don Quixote. When I say "usual" without further context, it means the aggregate case. Not a particular context. Not the MUD context. If I meant a particular context, I would say so. If you keep failing to recognize that, there's not much I can do but conclude that you're only interested in arguing with straw men, not me.
07 Mar, 2008, KaVir wrote in the 60th comment:
DavidHaley said:
KaVir said:

You know, you should have said so earlier… if that is what you have been trying to say, then you haven't been arguing against what I've been trying to say all this time, and we could have saved a lot of time and effort…

I was arguing against your claims that "It is unusual to be paid by somebody to do work and yet maintain complete and exclusive rights rights to your work", that it's "certainly unusual for e.g. consultants", that "The idea is rather preposterous in most situations", and that "it is still unusual for somebody to hire somebody else and have the person hired retain full rights".

That was the reason for my arguments about it not being "unusual".

DavidHaley said:
KaVir said:

Heh – have you even been reading what I've been writing?

Yes. You attempted to discredit my argument by claiming that only one mud sold licences (despite the fact that I'd already listed three). If you're going to attack my stance based specifically on mud development, you should be prepared to defend your own stance in the same context.

DavidHaley said:
When I say "usual" without further context, it means the aggregate case.

Such a gross overgeneralisation renders any discussion worthless. You might as well argue that it's "unusual" for people to speak English, "unusual" for people to live in America and "unusual" for people to use the internet.
40.0/77