08 Mar, 2008, shasarak wrote in the 161st comment:
Votes: 0
syn said:
If you are familiar with the distinction, it is classic matter of opinion versus fact. It is a matter of fact whether or not the world is round: either it absolutely is, or it absolutely is not. Just because people did not understand that some centuries ago does not make the question somehow less a matter of fact.

Some centuries ago it was fact that the earth was flat. Some centuries before that that everything was made of the actual '5' elements. It was a fact that you could drill a hole in someones head to release the bad spirits.

While we grow, and learn our understanding does indeed change. Though, as science is careful to keep ever present, is that something is not exactly a fact, it is either upheld in each test or it is not. That is why the scientific method works as well as it does. As our experience, or ability increases certain things that may have been true for X time, could suddenly not be due to new perspective, or technology. Something is only true until it is untrue. There is no solid that a human can point to without also having to claim that they are omniscient. Argue whatever you wish, there is a very very good reason that modern science is built around that principle.

No.

That the Earth is approximately spherical is a fact. The notion that the Earth was flat was not a fact, it was simply a belief. The fact that the Earth is, in fact, round is not something that can be disproved by additional observations in the future.

It would be correct to say that Science, generally speaking, does not deal much in facts, it deals in hypthoses which are eventually extended into theories; but you're using the word "fact" in an entirely incorrect sense with your examples. Earth round = fact. Earth flat = subsequently disproved hypothesis. The shape of the Earth is something that it was only reasonable to hypothesise about prior to the point when we were in a position to directly observe it. Now we are, it's no longer a hypothesis, simply a matter of direct observation.
08 Mar, 2008, shasarak wrote in the 162nd comment:
drrck said:
What if the kid has a psychological issue and doesn't recognize that he's bothering the other kid? What if he grew up in a culture where stomping on sandcastles was acceptable behavior? What if he and the other kid were stomping on someone else's sandcastles moments before? What if the other kid just got done stomping on his sandcastle? There are practically an infinite number of "what if's" that would all constitute non-abuse, and only one that constitutes abuse.

But you yourself were arguing earlier that motive can never be determined, and therefore motive cannot ever be relevant when determining whether any given action is abusive or out of character. Nice bit of a self-contradiction, there.

Motive is, of course, extremely important. Motive is the only distinction between murdering someone and killing them in self defence: in both cases someone has been killed, the only difference is in why the killer did it. Of course, one can talk about the evidence of what happened - was the now dead man seen carrying a gun and aiming it at the person who claims to wrestled the gun away and shot him? - but this is simply evidence which helps us to determinemotive: the motive is what matters.

Motive is equally important in determining whether or not an act of repeated PK on an RP MUD is legitimately IC or illegitimately OOC.

Incidentally, if you really think that there's nothing wrong morally with stomping on sandcastles or with a bully mocking someone about his height, then I guess that tells us all we need to know about your personal morality (or the lack of it).

drrck said:
The difference between finding it distressing and it making me miserable is about as drastic as night and day.

The difference between behaving in a way intended purely to make someone feel distressed, and behaving in a way intended purely to make someone feel miserable, does not seem to me to be a significant one.
09 Mar, 2008, drrck wrote in the 163rd comment:
Gatewaysysop said:
So we're to infer that you were instead adding emphasis to, showing alternate meaning for, implications of, or disagreeing with something that was never even suggested, let alone stated, rather than simply attempting to put words in someone else's mouth? Okay then. Thanks for clearing that up. :wink:

You're obviously only going to infer what suits you best.

Gatewaysysop said:
Nobody is insulting you, but you are trying to shift the discussion from your flawed argument to a discussion about morality itself and this issue of 'partial morality' which nobody but you has actually brought up. Sorry, but I'm not playing that game with you. My points were regarding how you constructed your argument, and I gave plenty of explanation already for them. If you want to shift the argument to morality itself and play the straw man game, that's your call, but I will not join you in your logical fallacy. :thinking:

On the contrary; you're being quite insulting, condescending, and arrogant (and for no reason, either). The fact that you have no desire to explain your points-of-view lend little credit to your argument as a whole, so if you want to continue throwing around accusations and psycho-analyzations rather than participating in the debate, I'm no longer going to respond to you.
09 Mar, 2008, drrck wrote in the 164th comment:
DavidHaley said:
I find it surprising indeed that you say such a thing. Is it truly so absolutely unbelievable to you that I have encountered such people in the past?

Yes; but I believe that you believe you have, if that's any consolation.

DavidHaley said:
That was not the point, and I believe you knew it.

That's exactly the point. I was attempting to explain how extreme of a word "misery" is to be throwing around in this context. To find it distressing is probably rather common. For it to actually make one miserable is rather absurd.

DavidHaley said:
Then in this case, the action has changed, because its intent has changed. I have said all along, after all, that intent and motive matter crucially. I believe you are over simplifying the issue.

No; the action has not changed. The kid still stomped on the other kid's sandcastle. That fact does not change based on why he did it.

DavidHaley said:
It would appear that you misunderstood my point. I urge you to read it again, but in the meantime know that the "other way" has to do with what exactly it means for morality to be universal. Obviously either it is or is not; the question is what it means in the first place.

If it's universal, then it is the same for everyone. I don't see how morality can be universal and mean different things to different people. That's a contradiction. Explain what you mean, though!

DavidHaley said:
As I suspected from the previous quote, you must have misunderstood my point if you ask me for empirical evidence of the claim that some people have different views of morality, because you have been giving such evidence yourself all along.

Yes, because I don't believe that morality is universal. If it were, people would not have different views of it, by definition.

DavidHaley said:
I did not ask you what the culture thought. That is not the point. You are repeating an assumption by stating that they think it's ok.

Then for whom are you asking if it would be alright? People outside such a culture might or might not find such actions morally OK, but their opinions are just relative to their respective cultures. Even if everyone but those within that culture think it's wrong, that doesn't make it universally so and that culture immoral.

DavidHaley said:
This is utterly obvious, isn't it? I'm not sure why we're talking about this. Morality can be innate in a flawed sense, and yet be universal otherwise. These aren't mutually exclusive.

Morality cannot be innate and non-universal. It's just logically impossible.
09 Mar, 2008, drrck wrote in the 165th comment:
shasarak said:
But you yourself were arguing earlier that motive can never be determined, and therefore motive cannot ever be relevant when determining whether any given action is abusive or out of character. Nice bit of a self-contradiction, there.

I don't see what's contradicting about it. Please explain.

shasarak said:
Motive is, of course, extremely important. Motive is the only distinction between murdering someone and killing them in self defence: in both cases someone has been killed, the only difference is in why the killer did it. Of course, one can talk about the evidence of what happened - was the now dead man seen carrying a gun and aiming it at the person who claims to wrestled the gun away and shot him? - but this is simply evidence which helps us to determinemotive: the motive is what matters.

The difference between murder and killing in self-defense is not merely motive; it's circumstance.

shasarak said:
Incidentally, if you really think that there's nothing wrong morally with stomping on sandcastles or with a bully mocking someone about his height, then I guess that tells us all we need to know about your personal morality (or the lack of it).

We're done talking if you're going to continue insulting me; especially using out-of-context examples as your reasoning.

shasarak said:
The difference between behaving in a way intended purely to make someone feel distressed, and behaving in a way intended purely to make someone feel miserable, does not seem to me to be a significant one.

Well then I posit that you should be locked up with all the other rapists, muggers, abusers, and the like because of that one time that you teased <insert name here>.
09 Mar, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 166th comment:
Why do you say this:
drrck said:
Yes; but I believe that you believe you have, if that's any consolation.

but then say this:
drrck said:
That's exactly the point. I was attempting to explain how extreme of a word "misery" is to be throwing around in this context. To find it distressing is probably rather common. For it to actually make one miserable is rather absurd.

I am telling you that I have encountered situations as the one I describe. Maybe people were absurd to feel so bad about it, but people did.

drrck said:
No; the action has not changed. The kid still stomped on the other kid's sandcastle. That fact does not change based on why he did it.

If you reduce all actions to nothing more than their direct consequences, ok, sure. But an action is more than just its consequence. In fact, this is shown by the fact that we have several action-words for the same consequence of somebody's death: murder, manslaughter, and so on.

drrck said:
If it's universal, then it is the same for everyone. I don't see how morality can be universal and mean different things to different people. That's a contradiction. Explain what you mean, though!

I already tried to explain how this could be. Instead of repeating everything, I'll give the summary: our inability to see the truth of something does not make that truth go away. Our inability to see a universal truth does not make the truth universal.

With the above I have not really given an argument *for* universality, I am simply pointing out that what you think is a contradiction is not.

Perhaps the confusion lies in the difference between descriptive and prescriptive morality. While the former is clearly not universal (practices differ, after all) nothing in this discussion yet has addressed the latter.

drrck said:
Yes, because I don't believe that morality is universal. If it were, people would not have different views of it, by definition.

I think I explained why this is not true by definition above. Shasarak and I have covered this in our explanations of fact vs. belief.

drrck said:
Even if everyone but those within that culture think it's wrong, that doesn't make it universally so and that culture immoral.

That however is what I am arguing might be the case. To throw in a theory of morality, I would refer you to e.g. Kant's categorical imperative.

drrck said:
Morality cannot be innate and non-universal. It's just logically impossible.

I think this is covered by the descriptive and prescriptive difference.

drrck said:
The difference between murder and killing in self-defense is not merely motive; it's circumstance.

You'll have to be more specific than "circumstance" but I think I can buy this for the time being. Even so, motive plays a crucial role, which was the point.

drrck said:
shasarak said:

We're done talking if you're going to continue insulting me; especially using out-of-context examples as your reasoning.

I don't think you were being insulted, drrck; it's a valid question to ask. You put forward an unusual moral theory, namely that the behaviors in question aren't really problems.

drrck said:
Well then I posit that you should be locked up with all the other rapists, muggers, abusers, and the like because of that one time that you teased <insert name here>.

I realize that you are probably being facetious, but for the sake of the argument I will point out that there is the character of an act and then its magnitude. In the quotation above, you have equated acts of vastly different magnitude. Just because the teasing is wrong doesn't mean it should be punished the same way as the other crimes. So, what you say really doesn't follow from what shasarak said.
09 Mar, 2008, Conner wrote in the 167th comment:
Does this thread even still have a connection to the originally posted topic beyond the clear fact that the "conversation" at this point has clearly pushed "too far" in forum member hostility towards fellow forum member? It seems to me that Drrck created this thread to discuss:

drrck said:
In your opinion, where is the line drawn between "real" and "too real" when it comes to MUD features?

I see all kinds of discussions across multiple forums about seemingly cool features like weather, temperature, jobs, perm-death, and the like, but they all beg the same question: how far is too far? Should players be required to do tedious, menial things, simply because it makes a certain system more true-to-life? Should the entire focus of a game be on fun with no regard to reality whatsoever? Is there a happy medium somewhere between these two extremes, and if so, to what degree?

Which somehow progressed from the specific examples he'd cited to PK to abusive playing styles to legal/philosophical/sociological debates that seem pretty unrelated to the original questions..

Oh well, I guess Drrck is to be congratulated on managing to have created a thread that spiraled beyond 150 posts and appears to be well on it's way to the 200 mark.
09 Mar, 2008, Gatewaysysop wrote in the 168th comment:
drrck said:
Gatewaysysop said:
So we're to infer that you were instead adding emphasis to, showing alternate meaning for, implications of, or disagreeing with something that was never even suggested, let alone stated, rather than simply attempting to put words in someone else's mouth? Okay then. Thanks for clearing that up. :wink:

You're obviously only going to infer what suits you best.

The fact that you haven't suggested anything else is rather telling.

drrck said:
Gatewaysysop said:
Nobody is insulting you, but you are trying to shift the discussion from your flawed argument to a discussion about morality itself and this issue of 'partial morality' which nobody but you has actually brought up. Sorry, but I'm not playing that game with you. My points were regarding how you constructed your argument, and I gave plenty of explanation already for them. If you want to shift the argument to morality itself and play the straw man game, that's your call, but I will not join you in your logical fallacy. :thinking:

On the contrary; you're being quite insulting, condescending, and arrogant (and for no reason, either). The fact that you have no desire to explain your points-of-view lend little credit to your argument as a whole, so if you want to continue throwing around accusations and psycho-analyzations rather than participating in the debate, I'm no longer going to respond to you.

I explained my point of view, then I explained my example. Other people have stated that they understand my example, and my point, but you apparently follow neither. I find that suggestive of your lack of understanding, not my lack of credibility. Besides, I said that the outset that I wanted no part in the debate. I've made deliberate effort not to enter into the debate. I even stated, directly, that I was not entering the debate with you about this morality stuff. Unlike everyone else reading my posts, you simply don't get it. Unfortunately, I can't help you with that particular problem.

If you don't wish to respond to my posts anymore, so be it. You appear to be something of a narcissist anyway, and as such you are in all likelihood beyond help. You have my sympathy.
09 Mar, 2008, drrck wrote in the 169th comment:
Conner said:
Does this thread even still have a connection to the originally posted topic beyond the clear fact that the "conversation" at this point has clearly pushed "too far" in forum member hostility towards fellow forum member?

Well said.

And I think the participants in this discussion, myself included, could stand to apply the thread title to the direction of the conversation. This is definitely "too far" :)
09 Mar, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 170th comment:
Conner said:
Does this thread even still have a connection to the originally posted topic

Indeed it does. How could it not? When speaking of 'how far is too far', it naturally matters to think about the effects of bringing morality etc. into the game. In fact, we got started on this subtopic because we were talking about specific actions, and 'how far is too far' when it comes to those actions. It's how we got started talking about abuse: how much PK is too much PK? Sociological questions are quite relevant when it comes to determining what is "too far", especially when you are talking about game features that can have psychological repercussions on players (such as permanent death).

I will grant that the discussion has become slightly abstract (too much so for your taste, at the least, and perhaps others), but it is still related. Presumably drrck found it interesting as well otherwise he probably would have stopped already, or prodded us to return to the original question he asked. (Well, I suppose he just did, so perhaps he doesn't see the relevance either. Or has merely gotten bored, which would be quite understandable as well…)

Conner said:
beyond the clear fact that the "conversation" at this point has clearly pushed "too far" in forum member hostility towards fellow forum member?

I didn't think the discussion was hostile at all. Perhaps drrck will correct me if he felt otherwise (it was not clear from his brief post).
09 Mar, 2008, drrck wrote in the 171st comment:
DavidHaley said:
I will grant that the discussion has become slightly abstract (too much so for your taste, at the least, and perhaps others), but it is still related. Presumably drrck found it interesting as well otherwise he probably would have stopped already, or prodded us to return to the original question he asked. (Well, I suppose he just did, so perhaps he doesn't see the relevance either. Or has merely gotten bored, which would be quite understandable as well…)

I find it very interesting, but I also find it highly irrelevant to the original topic at the same time. That's not to say that it's not relevant to some other topic that popped up somewhere along the way, but I suppose a new thread could be created to discuss that further if anyone was so inclined.

DavidHaley said:
I didn't think the discussion was hostile at all. Perhaps drrck will correct me if he felt otherwise (it was not clear from his brief post).

There was only one person on this thread that I felt was being hostile, and I made it clear earlier who that was.
09 Mar, 2008, Guest wrote in the 172nd comment:
Here we are 170 posts later… exactly what were you all talking about anyway?
10 Mar, 2008, drrck wrote in the 173rd comment:
Incorporating realism into MUDs, and how far was too far concerning trying to make game features more real.
10 Mar, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 174th comment:
What, wasn't it obvious? :lol:
160.0/174