The original question appears to have been edited out, which is a shame, because it deprives future visitors of the knowledge. This is why we went with time limited edits, for exactly this kind of thing. So I'd hate to think we need to shorten the time frame on when editing is allowed.
My bad. I actually wanted to delete this post. I can recap.
I added the FILEOPEN snippet that is found here. It went in without a problem. I replaced the stock file loading functions with the ones in the snippet I got done with Ban.c and then figured I would work on this task a little later…
I then went about adding temps to my area files. That also went in fairly easy as it only loads and saves a min and max temp to the area files.
I did a clean make and had no problems till I logged in with my imp. Mud died so I ran it under gdb and found an issue with load_char_obj and save_char_obj.
After posting a call for help on here and editing updates I made a simple mistake and did not INITIALIZE fp. I also had to remove fpreserve for the functions in save.c
It's probably a good idea to remove fpReserve entirely. In the old days, when resources where quite limited, the mud would use fpReserve as a way to reserve a file descriptor so it'd always have one to open. It's definitely not needed anymore. So just remove NULL_FILE, and the extern fpReserve from merc.h and the variable from db.c, compile, fix errors by removing the fopen/fclose calls for fpReserve.