20 Sep, 2007, Scoyn wrote in the 21st comment:
Votes: 0
Just because something's pointless, doesn't mean there's no point in continuing it. I know many pointless conversations that have gone on for hours on end.
21 Sep, 2007, Fizban wrote in the 22nd comment:
Just because somethings pointless, doesn't mean there's no point in continuing it. I know many pointless conversations that have gone on for hours on end.

Something being pointless by definition means it has no point. So yes, indeed there is no point in pointless discussions. Also, just because a conversation has lasted hours doesn't mean it should have lasted hours.
22 Sep, 2007, Hades_Kane wrote in the 23rd comment:
Considering that the term 'twink' referring to a particular play-style or character type has it's origins likely outside of online gaming (I recall hearing it before the rise of popularity of even Everquest) I think it would be particularly difficult to try to apply one definition of it, especially using such freely edited and open to bias sources as Wikipedia or Urban Dictionary, or such narrowly targetted sources as the MUD Dictionary or an article by Bartle.

Again, I think a lot of it will depend on the particular community that it is being used in, and considering the wide range of backgrounds many of us come from, the term could just as easily be derogatory in one circle as it might be an achievable goal in another. Even within the MUDing community itself, I've seen things on one MUD that people might find offensive to be called, and on others it be a non-issue.

To me, twink is pretty much synonymous with power gamer, min-maxer, achiever, etc. because in my mind and the places outside of online gaming I began hearing the term used, it mostly referred to people willing to push a system to its limits to achieve the greatest possible result in one particular area. I can definitely understand some games frowning on that, especially if it is a roleplay oriented game and they use their superior character strength as an attempt to dominate roleplay (I've yet to see that happen). If the game is designed around competing to have the strongest character, then I don't see an issue. And surely, some people might cheat to reach that end, but I think a good bit of the satisfaction of being the best is earning it.
22 Sep, 2007, David Haley wrote in the 24th comment:
Hades_Kane said:
but I think a good bit of the satisfaction of being the best is earning it.

I agree with you, but I know of and have had to deal with (on MUDs and elsewhere) far too many people for whom what matters is simply being able to beat all others, no matter whether this was earned or not.
23 Sep, 2007, Tijer wrote in the 25th comment:
I've seen the word twink used on MUD in the way that: "A player is outfitted with DECENT eq that is not necessarily available to those of their level"

also "Stop Twinking Bob" - ie a player getting good eq for another player, selling it to them cheaply.

A Twink can also be used as a homosexual term i believe.

Its not used that much on MUDS as far as i know, only ever seen it used on one!
20.0/25