23 Aug, 2007, ethaniel wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
This is the discussion thread for backups

13 Sep, 2007, darkraider wrote in the 2nd comment:
Backups are one of the most important thing a administrator can do. I have to stress that it is important to keep a copy of your backup files on your pc as well not just on the server in case of a hard drive failure or data lose on the server. I know it means more work but think of how much work it can save a administrator in the long run.
18 Sep, 2007, Mabus wrote in the 3rd comment:
I agree with backing up often. At least a weekly backup of code and database are important. Once a moth I also burn all my backups (code and data) and store the disk (labeling is important…). Just converted from flatfile to MySQL and now I am learning my "method" for backup from start again, but I will always have a backup from the previous month if all else fails.
26 Feb, 2008, exeter wrote in the 4th comment:
The most important thing about a backup strategy is that you have one. That puts you several steps beyond someone who doesn't.

One thing you should always do, however, that doesn't seem to get as much notice, is to *TEST THE RESTORE PROCEDURE*. You need to make sure your backups actually *work*. Non-working backups are worse than useless, because they instill a false sense of security. :)
26 Feb, 2008, Conner wrote in the 5th comment:
exeter said:
The most important thing about a backup strategy is that you have one. That puts you several steps beyond someone who doesn't.

One thing you should always do, however, that doesn't seem to get as much notice, is to *TEST THE RESTORE PROCEDURE*. You need to make sure your backups actually *work*. Non-working backups are worse than useless, because they instill a false sense of security. :)

While occasionally testing your back-ups is definitely a very important step, I disagree that "the most important thing about a backup strategy is that you have one." I figure the most important thing about a backup strategy is that you use it. :wink: :lol:
28 Feb, 2008, Guest wrote in the 6th comment:
Part of having a backup strategy involves actually using it though Conner :)
29 Feb, 2008, Conner wrote in the 7th comment:
One would certainly think so, but the reality is that, at least in my experience, I've worked at places that had all sorts of "strategies" in place all written up very prettily and posted publicly (within the easy purview of the employees anyway) but the folks in the IT department hadn't automated the processes involved so they were forgotten procedures more often than they were implemented procedures. Kind of like telling folks to back-up their data frequently even at home, it sounds great when they assure you that they will, but it doesn't really mean anything if they don't follow-up on it.
0.0/7