21 Aug, 2007, Asylumius wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
So I know this has been covered in a couple threads, but I thought I'd throw up some specific requirements and see what people recommend. I need a program that will let me create graphical (or ASCII) maps of an area for a MUD. This is a MUD I play, not code, so I'm not looking for like ASCII map code.

It must:
* Word for a MUD that does not use a coordinate system
* Run in Linux
* Be a stand alone thing (not a client extension, unless its tintin++)

All I want to do is create maps of the MUDs areas for my own personal use. They dont have to look good or be fancy.

Anyone know whats out there for products that might work for me?
21 Aug, 2007, Detah wrote in the 2nd comment:
Have you looked at Genesis by Jordy Boom?
Its pretty easy to use. So new maps can be generated very quickly via the keypad. The maps are a bit tricky to save as pngs or jpgs, but it can be done. They also have the added ability to let you add comments for content to each room eg the monsters in that room or particular features that can be found in that room.

I cannot find a link. Anyone?
21 Aug, 2007, Asylumius wrote in the 3rd comment:
Huh, sounds promising. Google wasn't much help, though.
21 Aug, 2007, Brinson wrote in the 4th comment:
Ascii Mapmaker ran well in wine the last time I tried, the site the owner set up seems to be gone…but I've had it up for download on my site for a while:

http://www.flcodebase.com/index.php?ind=...

You use the numpad to create. Very fast. The maps are rather plain looking, but I actually kinda like it that way.
22 Aug, 2007, Conner wrote in the 5th comment:
Apparently the site that used to host genesis is no longer hosting it, and it's not listed on sourceforge either. *shrug*
22 Aug, 2007, Scandum wrote in the 6th comment:
Asylumius said:
* Be a stand alone thing (not a client extension, unless its tintin++)

tintin++ supports ascii automapping.
22 Aug, 2007, Brinson wrote in the 7th comment:
Command Line based mud clients scare me. :cry:

Haha, joking, actually, TinTin++ is a nice client, just have to learn all those command thingy mabobbers. ;)

Though, doesn't pueblo use the TinTin command system?

But, you know what does scare me? Command line ftp clients. Those are scary complicated….

:biggrin:
22 Aug, 2007, Detah wrote in the 8th comment:
Re: Genesis.

That would explain why I couldnt find a link. I googled it and searched thru about 30 pages of links. I came up with nothing, using his name and/or 'genesis mapper' and/or 'genesis room editor'. My copy is v0.96. I'll hang on to it. It could be the end of that code's development.

Sorry, OP, I will not give it out as I do not know what the author's intent was for it. It was clear in his original webpage that he was giving it away as freeware. But he may have changed his mind and is developing it for a new project.

As for alternatives, Zmud has a nice automapper. It lets you map while you run around the mud. It has a steep but short learning curve. Once you configure it for your mud's Short, Long, Obvious exits, contents setup, then just run around and it maps. Those maps are pretty nice as you can not only keep track of a host of contents, but you can also add comments on the map outside of the room, including labelling the room names. This is nice if you want to draw attention to where the Boss monster is located or where the magic waterfall portal is located. Of course, you need to buy zmud to get the automapper. I think zmud is like 29.99 nowadays. An excellent app. I recommend it.
22 Aug, 2007, Conner wrote in the 9th comment:
Brinson: What's scary or complicated about ftp? You've just gotten spoiled by gui-based ftp clients. :tongue:

Detah: I don't recall anymore who it was (someone here) who'd first brought my attention to Genesis, and I certainly don't know what the author's intent may be at this point, but it was freeware when I downloaded a copy too and for all I know (s)he just couldn't afford to pay his site hosting bill.

Asylumius: If you awnt to check it out, just let me know and I'll be happy to give you a copy, the version I've got here is 0.97 …in fact, here, I'll just upload a copy to the repository in case anyone else wants a copy too. Ifthe author ever comes back and says that it's no longer freeware we can always easily pull it.
0.0/9