25 Jun, 2007, Calibur wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I know it's not a smart idea to ask this…

But is there anyone out there that like… could show me specifically how to code on SMAUG, or has tutorials for specifically SMAUG coding?

~Bry
25 Jun, 2007, Zeno wrote in the 2nd comment:
As long as you know C, you'll be good. Of course there are plenty of Smaug functions you don't yet know, but you'll learn that as you are coding new features in and changing functions.

I've written a few articles here on MudBytes for Smaug, check those out. Also, there is a ton of info on www.gammon.com.au for Smaug.

And we're always here, if you have any specific questions.
25 Jun, 2007, Calibur wrote in the 3rd comment:
That's my problem though, I'm a very slow learner, and it makes me feel dumb sometimes 'cause the best way for me to learn is through examples… any ideas of "baby steps" I could take in coding to get off to a start?
25 Jun, 2007, Zeno wrote in the 4th comment:
If you don't know C yet, there are plenty of tutorials for new people. For example: http://www.cprogramming.com/

There are plenty of small coding examples as well. If you want specific coding examples for Smaug, check over any small snippet for Smaug.
25 Jun, 2007, Calibur wrote in the 5th comment:
Thing is I really didn't wanna learn C if I could avoid it. >_> So I guess I just gotta break down and learn it, eh?
25 Jun, 2007, Kayle wrote in the 6th comment:
Smaug is written in C, so if you want to program for Smaug based Muds, You'll need to learn C.
25 Jun, 2007, Omega wrote in the 7th comment:
the key point to this is to learn the Syntax, once you have the basic syntax for C down, it won't be much.

I recommend that since your using smaug, take some smaug-snippets, and install them. That will get you familiar with the code-base, and will also get you used to working with the source.

Ontop of that, I also recommend that if you come across any errors in the compiler, that you take the time to debug them through experimentation. Most errors you will most likely find are syntax errors if you get any from installing a snippet.

Outside of that, crash's will happen, learn how to use gdb on the core so that you can if anything, just get the line-number from the code where the crash originated.

Those are the only tips I can give you without getting really deep into the whole base of suggestions inwhich mean you having to learn C/C++ and taking up the usage of valgrind, which is the coders favourite tool for memory debugging… Atleast it is for me.
13 Aug, 2007, tphegley wrote in the 8th comment:
Also, This is a great site along with smaugmuds.org and gammon.com.au

With all the good people here I'm sure you could walk through the first couple steps. I taught myself just by going through and building off of what was already there.

For OLC building here is a good site:
http://webhome.idirect.com/~helspawn/sma...
13 Aug, 2007, Conner wrote in the 9th comment:
That is a great site for learning to build, but won't do anything for someone learning to code.
14 Aug, 2007, tphegley wrote in the 10th comment:
That's why I put for OLC. He said he's wanting to learn to 'code on smaug'. Maybe he's never messed with anything smaug related. He has to learn how to build as well :grinning: The OLC can be quite big, but a little step will go a long way in making it easy.

I put the first two sites because between these three, someone will be willing to help on anything because there are some good people here. I just added the OLC if he wanted some references for that.
14 Aug, 2007, Conner wrote in the 11th comment:
Fair enough. :smile:
0.0/11