13 Dec, 2012, khyldes wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Does anyone know of an available codebase that has or has the start of rich crafting and roleplay features?

Trying to find one to use as an example so I can add crafting to my own mud.

Thanks!
13 Dec, 2012, Igabod wrote in the 2nd comment:
Lyanic runs a mud with a really neat crafting system on it and it has a strong storyline which would allow for good rp. It's called the 7th Plane. The addy is www.7thplane.net:8888. Pretty fun mud. Has a bit of a learning curve but it's well worth it.
13 Dec, 2012, khyldes wrote in the 3rd comment:
Cool. I was more asking about a codebase that was available that had the features to model on my own mud. Thanks for the recommendation though :)
13 Dec, 2012, Lyanic wrote in the 4th comment:
Igabod, thanks for the kind words. As for a codebase, though, perhaps EmpireMUD: http://www.mudbytes.net/file-966
14 Dec, 2012, khyldes wrote in the 5th comment:
Thanks Lyanic. Yeah took a look at Empiremud and I can't even get it to compile :(
14 Dec, 2012, khyldes wrote in the 6th comment:
Might just have to figure out how to write my own system. Just not that great a coder.
14 Dec, 2012, Igabod wrote in the 7th comment:
I just downloaded and compiled empiremud with no difficulty. sure it has tons of warnings but it worked.
14 Dec, 2012, khyldes wrote in the 8th comment:
Wouldn't compile in gcc4 for me, kept spitting out errors. It's all good.
14 Dec, 2012, Igabod wrote in the 9th comment:
I compiled it on cygwin using gcc 3.4.4. hmm i need to upgrade that….
14 Dec, 2012, khyldes wrote in the 10th comment:
Yeah im using 4.1.2
14 Dec, 2012, Igabod wrote in the 11th comment:
I just attempted compiling on 4.5.3 and got a failure on handler.o so it's a problem introduced with the stricter standards.
14 Dec, 2012, Lyanic wrote in the 12th comment:
You're likely to run into problems with trying to compile any older codebase with newer versions of gcc. Almost every minor (major.minor.revision) version update of gcc either deprecates functionality or applies stricter standards (warnings become errors). That's why it's always a good idea to fix warnings (I have my code compiling on gcc 4.6.x with no warnings now). You could probably fix the errors you're getting on EmpireMUD to make it compile on a newer version of gcc relatively easily. Most instances are easy to fix and a solution can be found with a quick google search of the compiler error message. Of course, if there are thousands of errors, it might be a tedious process.
15 Dec, 2012, quixadhal wrote in the 13th comment:
The current version of gcc in 4.7.x

Starting around gcc 4.2 they started actually implementing some of the stricter error checking that had been allowed previously, mostly because the checks for it were quite expensive and made compilation take forever on your 386/33.

You'll likely find the vast majority are due to const casting of strings (where you pass a const char * into a function that tries to treat it as a plain char *).
16 Dec, 2012, Kjwah wrote in the 14th comment:
Not sure what made me think about these two but if you have enough programming experience, I remember KaVir released a wilderness snippet many moons ago which if I remember had some basic features that could be expanded on to have one hell of a crafting system(I think I was doing such a thing years ago).

Not sure what happened to his site but I have a copy I can email you if you're interested.
Random Picks
0.0/14