22 Oct, 2012, Ripley wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Hey everyone,

I am Head Builder over at GauntletMUD, which is just getting started with building the world. One of the tasks that I have created for myself is creating a set of standard items that builders can then use as templates to build items of their own within their zines, or just use as is if necessary. There would be iterms such as containers, plain clothing, leather armour, metal armour, etc. Nothing with any type of significant bonuses, just adjustments to physical armour and potentially -hitroll (due to encumberance).

I have commandeered a few sets of vnums for this effort.

I am hoping that this will provide us with a method of keeping the items fairly consistent throughout the world while allowing builders to change these items by copying the item in OLC to a new vnum and making their changes while also changing the item name to show the differences.

Since I am sure this is not a new concept, does anyone else have any insight into the effectiveness of this type of effort as well as any pitfalls or suggestions?

One potential problem I have considered is resets - If we have > 100 of any one item in the game, they will not reset (based on the stock tbamud code.) Of course, the imp could choose to up the maximum to 999, which I am pretty sure will cover everything for now, so I am not very concerned.

Thanks for the insight.

-R
22 Oct, 2012, Idealiad wrote in the 2nd comment:
I can't remember, does tba have commands to search vnum ranges; like if you want to find an orc, do you need to page through all the template vnums, or can you 'search orc'?
22 Oct, 2012, Ssolvarain wrote in the 3rd comment:
There's a ROM snippet in the code repository that will let you auto-set equipment based on level. That kind of solution would be more convenient for a builder.
25 Oct, 2012, Ripley wrote in the 4th comment:
Idealiad said:
I can't remember, does tba have commands to search vnum ranges; like if you want to find an orc, do you need to page through all the template vnums, or can you 'search orc'?

There is no searching for mobs by name implemented in the code right now, the best you can do is mlist a particular zone using a number of limited commands. That functionality should be fairly simple for the imp to put in, but he is busy embedding lua as a replacement for dg scripts so I wont want to mess with that right now. :)

For objects however, you can do 'mlist sword' for example and get all vnums that have the keyword sword. This makes it easy to find certain items, including these items I have been creating.

Ssolvarain said:
There's a ROM snippet in the code repository that will let you auto-set equipment based on level. That kind of solution would be more convenient for a builder.

Sure, we have or have planned to have an autostat included in the olc - One is already installed for the mobs. We will not have level limits on equipment, however, it doesn't really mesh with our design philosophy. That isn't really the issue.

The issue is more having 50 short swords (for example) all with different stats and similar descriptions. Now, I may be taking my sorrows up front, but it just simplifies dealing with shops if I can have one set of eq that is more or less 'standard stock' that I can throw into a weapon shop.
0.0/4