09 May, 2007, syn wrote in the 21st comment:
Votes: 0
Ive known a few blind players over the years and have to agree with KaVir.

I havent run into one who whined or complained about their deficit in playability with certain aspects. Have they sometimes asked for certain things to make normal gameplay possible or more fun? Sure, but I wouldn't blame anyone for that. Just like if you had a heavily color coded MUD and had some colorblind people who requested an alternate means at discerning the information provided.

-Syn
09 May, 2007, Conner wrote in the 22nd comment:
*shrug* I guess, overall, my mud must be fairly color-blind and blind friendly or else I just don't have any outspoken blind/color-blind players, because I can't think of a single complaint or request I've ever gotten in that regard. Of course, another possibility is that I'm not remembering something or it was something that was asked for that made sense for other reasons so I didn't realize that was why it was asked for.
10 May, 2007, Guest wrote in the 23rd comment:
KaVir said:
KaVir said:
It's only when it comes to certain specific things that blind players aren't really able to compete - for example, ASCII maps, formatted tables, colour-coded data, prompts that can't be switched off, vital combat data that can only be viewed at the end of a huge score sheet,

…and signing up at MudBytes. After talking to one of my blind players about this issue he was eager to share his views, only to discover that the embedded graphics prevent him from registering. D'oh.

Sadly this is one of the downsides to having to fend off spammers who would seek to register their bots. The image is the only thing holding them at bay. Without that, we'd have a significant amount of utter trash to clean up, probably on a daily basis. And considering our life schedules don't allow for that kind of vigilance, we'd end up having to spend precious free time dealing with it that should be devoted to other more productive activities.

Of course, QSFP being open source, if someone were to contribute support for an alternative captcha for blind users that was as effective at blocking spammers ( they'd all claim to be blind ) we'd not be opposed to adding it to the site.
10 May, 2007, KaVir wrote in the 24th comment:
Samson said:
Sadly this is one of the downsides to having to fend off spammers who would seek to register their bots.

Yup, I realise that, but I found the situation rather ironic.

Some forums allow blind players to listen to a sound file and type in whatever it says. If that's too much hassle, you could perhaps allow them to email you with their details so that you can activate their account.
10 May, 2007, kiasyn wrote in the 25th comment:
while not a permenant solution, you could create an account for him, he can change the password later.
10 May, 2007, Conner wrote in the 26th comment:
KaVir said:
Yup, I realise that, but I found the situation rather ironic.

Some forums allow blind players to listen to a sound file and type in whatever it says. If that's too much hassle, you could perhaps allow them to email you with their details so that you can activate their account.

This is the aspect I was talking about regarding pre-registration, currently QSFP doesn't provide a means for an admin to pre-register someone so, if he emailed Samson his information, the best that Samson could do would be to log on as if he was this fellow to create the account, then log back in as Samson and upgrade the account to a validated status and then this fellow could start using that account. Basically no better than, as Kiasyn suggested, you creating the account for this guy and then having him come by to change the password and other information as he saw fit himself.
10 May, 2007, Scandum wrote in the 27th comment:
Now all we need is a mud where stupid people can compete just fine as well. I've heard rumors that 50% of the population is of below average intelligence, so there's quite a market there.
10 May, 2007, Scandum wrote in the 28th comment:
syn said:
I havent run into one who whined or complained about their deficit in playability with certain aspects.

KaVir said:
After talking to one of my blind players about this issue he was eager to share his views, only to discover that the embedded graphics prevent him from registering.

While at it, is that the blind dude who killed over 600 newbies Kav?
10 May, 2007, KaVir wrote in the 29th comment:
Scandum said:
Now all we need is a mud where stupid people can compete just fine as well. I've heard rumors that 50% of the population is of below average intelligence, so there's quite a market there.

That market is already saturated by the muds that cater to the lowest common denominator. I prefer to look into more niche markets that other muds tend to overlook - particularly when its an audience that will never move into graphical muds.

Scandum said:
While at it, is that the blind dude who killed over 600 newbies Kav?

No, has only 19 kills to 15 deaths.
11 May, 2007, kiasyn wrote in the 30th comment:
pound six six six six six six polygon pound c c c c c c polygon… hehe
11 May, 2007, Scandum wrote in the 31st comment:
KaVir said:
I prefer to look into more niche markets that other muds tend to overlook - particularly when its an audience that will never move into graphical muds.

Someone ought to write a WoW mod that instructs players in a Dalek voice where to move the mouse. Once the mouse is in place and the fighting has started it ought to start chanting Exterminate! Exterminate! Exterminate! Exterminate! Exterminate! Exterminate! Exterminate! Exterminate! Exterminate! Exterminate! Exterminate! Exterminate! Exterminate! Exterminate! Exterminate! Exterminate! Exterminate! Exterminate! Exterminate! Exterminate!

(I lost it there for a minute)
11 May, 2007, Conner wrote in the 32nd comment:
Well, that would certainly bring out the hack 'n slash aspects of most muds.. :lol:
12 May, 2007, Cin wrote in the 33rd comment:
Scandum said:
Someone ought to write a WoW mod that instructs players in a Dalek voice where to move the mouse. Once the mouse is in place and the fighting has started it ought to start chanting Exterminate! Exterminate! Exterminate! Exterminate! Exterminate! Exterminate! Exterminate! Exterminate! Exterminate! Exterminate! Exterminate! Exterminate! Exterminate! Exterminate! Exterminate! Exterminate! Exterminate! Exterminate! Exterminate! Exterminate!

Hehehe…sounds fun.

Basically, there's a program called "Mice for the Blind", which allows blind people like myself, to navigate on a computer using a mouse. However I don't and will never understand how you sighted people can use the damn thing.
I mean, it moves so friggin' fast! Even if I try to move as little as I can, it moves to something else entirely. I hate mice! That's it.
I can only play Counter-Strike by hand, that's it.

Oh…and I'll be giving Scandum a piece of my mind about the 'Whiner's Contest' later.
12 May, 2007, Conner wrote in the 34th comment:
Cin said:
Scandum said:

Hehehe…sounds fun.

Basically, there's a program called "Mice for the Blind", which allows blind people like myself, to navigate on a computer using a mouse. However I don't and will never understand how you sighted people can use the damn thing.
I mean, it moves so friggin' fast! Even if I try to move as little as I can, it moves to something else entirely. I hate mice! That's it.
I can only play Counter-Strike by hand, that's it.

Oh…and I'll be giving Scandum a piece of my mind about the 'Whiner's Contest' later.

Sounds like a pretty cool program. :smile:
I hear ya', I usually have to play games like that by keyboard rather than mouse myself, though I have no problem using the mouse for games like Diablo and Baldur's Gate. *shrug*
You go Cin! :lol:
13 May, 2007, kiasyn wrote in the 35th comment:
my computer can't run counterstrike. XD
13 May, 2007, Conner wrote in the 36th comment:
Sorry to hear it, Kiasyn.
15 May, 2007, Scandum wrote in the 37th comment:
Cin said:

Whine whine *wink* Just kidding. You can lower the mouse speed and turn off mouse acceleration. Out of curiosity I checked what it exactly is what I am doing and seemingly I move the mouse in one fast move to the general direction of a button, taking acceleration into account, this generally places the mouse within half an inch of the desired location upon which I briefly halt. Then I move the mouse at slow speed (below the acceleration threshold) to the desired position.

Cin said:

Sure, bring it on *smiles*
15 May, 2007, Conner wrote in the 38th comment:
Scandum said:
Whine whine *wink* Just kidding. You can lower the mouse speed and turn off mouse acceleration. Out of curiosity I checked what it exactly is what I am doing and seemingly I move the mouse in one fast move to the general direction of a button, taking acceleration into account, this generally places the mouse within half an inch of the desired location upon which I briefly halt. Then I move the mouse at slow speed (below the acceleration threshold) to the desired position.

While that's an interesting observation, how much was it altered because you were consciously "observing" what you were doing to get there?
15 May, 2007, KaVir wrote in the 39th comment:
Conner said:
While that's an interesting observation, how much was it altered because you were consciously "observing" what you were doing to get there?

When developing software at work, I've occasionally been forced to navigate an application without the mouse pointer being visible (because the mouse is only used during development - the real device uses a touchscreen display). Without being able to observe the pointer on the screen, I found it very difficult to work out where it was - I would generally move my mouse to one far corner, and then try to estimate how far it needed to move to reach the correct button.
15 May, 2007, Scandum wrote in the 40th comment:
Interesting question, I just video taped myself and watched it to observe my unconscious behavior. Apparently I appear to be moving the mouse cursor with sheer will power alone while waving my hand in the general direction of the mouse thinking I'm actually using it!

For real I don't have a video camera. Maybe someone could videotape himself using the mouse and send the file to Cin so he can see how people do the mouse thing?
20.0/54