24 Apr, 2007, Guest wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Yes, this is actually official. After nearly 10 years the Smaug team has released an update to their codebase. Thanks to Conner for digging up the release notice to the Smaug mailing list which has been mostly defunct for ages. The release is available for download at smaug.org

Quote
Subject: [SMAUG] Smaug v1.8
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 07:41:49 +0900
From: Edmond <edmond@realms.game.org>
To: smaug@realms.game.org

For the first time since 1998, we have posted a newer version of SMAUG for public consumption to the FTP site.

SMAUG v1.8 is public use portions of the code as it existed on Realms of Despair on August 17th, 2002. This is the date that Realms implemented v2.0 of SMAUG.

SMAUG v1.8 does not come with a complete record of changes, as there are simply too many changes to be made and it was a segment of the code source being constructed parallel to v2.0 without any revision control while we were simultaneously implementing updates/changes to implement for the v2.0 update.

This version of code has been implemented and stable on our mortal build port for just over a year. Crash errors have only occurred when attempting to bring files back from v2.0 to 1.8 due to missing flags/bvs, etc…

I also specify that there are still things we have left out of the v1.8 release to the public that are Realms of Despair specific. Certain methods of tracking cheats, items, objects, and hacking specific fixes were omitted as they have been in all prior releases.

Finally, the online help files also remain rather inept, as always. One would be well advised to run a "diff" between the new code and 1.4a code to see what changes are available and how they function in code speak. I've been attempting to get this release out for over a year but do not have the coder resource time to create/compare/compile all of the help files or adjust the help files out from the existing 2.1 code on Realms main port.

Apologies in advance for the inadequacies. Looking forward to responses from the public at large.

If there is a snippet of code or bug fix that has been integrated into v1.8 (Blodkai and I did quite a bit of this) that wasn't credited to you properly and you can confirm that it was yours, please let us know right away so we can properly credit you here and in the distributed source.

Edmond
24 Apr, 2007, Vladaar wrote in the 2nd comment:
Votes: 0
Post some of the better features of it, if anyone downloads it and checks it out. I'm just curious, if their 1.8 version is anything more then afkmud codebase has. :)
24 Apr, 2007, Conner wrote in the 3rd comment:
Votes: 0
Samson said:
Yes, this is actually official. After nearly 10 years the Smaug team has released an update to their codebase. Thanks to Conner for digging up the release notice to the Smaug mailing list which has been mostly defunct for ages. The release is available for download at smaug.org


Glad to be able to help out, Samson. :smile:

Vladaar said:
Post some of the better features of it, if anyone downloads it and checks it out. I'm just curious, if their 1.8 version is anything more then afkmud codebase has. :)


Vladaar, there's a thread about it on the FUSS site at Smaug 1.8 where various folks are finding bugs and reporting differences. So far it looks like they added a bunch of neat extras, but didn't fix most of the bugs. *shrug*
24 Apr, 2007, Zeno wrote in the 4th comment:
Votes: 0
This is why I've always preferred Smaug over Rom or Circle. Not only does it have a fixed up version that is still active, but now it's also the most recent release out of the 3.
24 Apr, 2007, Conner wrote in the 5th comment:
Votes: 0
Zeno said:
This is why I've always preferred Smaug over Rom or Circle. Not only does it have a fixed up version that is still active, but now it's also the most recent release out of the 3.


I can't say that the reason I've always favored Smaug over Rom or Circle is the same, but you've got a good point and it does indeed give Smaug and advantage over the other two, especially now.
Random Picks
0.0/5