20 Apr, 2012, SmashTV wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I've got a few questions if anyone could point me in the right direction it would be appreciated.

I want to create a PVP mud, with no magic if possible, just melee weapons, guns, and vehicles..

I would also like to create a GMCP and MUSHclient package for the ASCII minimap and stats/hp bars?
maybe a small sound package too someday..

I would even be happy with an oldschool godwars (maybe Rek-mud?) style ASCII minimap in the descriptions
If i can't even get that, I would just make my own maps and describe each room by hand if thats what needs to be done,…

a few things about myself, I know MOO programming language, I tried CoffeeMUD Javascript for awhile, looked at Deadsouls mudlib,..

one of my problems is i don't know UNIX/Linux nor do I have an extra computer to run it on..

any suggestions?
21 Apr, 2012, Kline wrote in the 2nd comment:
SmashTV said:
one of my problems is i don't know UNIX/Linux nor do I have an extra computer to run it on..

1) Learn. It's a useful skill.
2) If you have a 32bit CPU still you can try andLinux or colinux. Failing that, there is always cygwin.
21 Apr, 2012, Lyanic wrote in the 3rd comment:
Kline said:
SmashTV said:

1) Learn. It's a useful skill.
2) If you have a 32bit CPU still you can try andLinux or colinux. Failing that, there is always cygwin.

There's also VMs. And Ubuntu is almost as easy to install and use (for basic usage) as Windows, these days.

SmashTV said:
I would also like to create a GMCP and MUSHclient package for the ASCII minimap and stats/hp bars?
maybe a small sound package too someday…

Any objection to MSDP? KaVir released a snippet that included all the protocols you'd need to do such a thing, with instructions for how to add it to most Diku codebases. There are also examples and instructions online for creating the MUSHClient package that uses those protocols to do the things referenced.
21 Apr, 2012, Idealiad wrote in the 4th comment:
VirtualBox with the Debian net install is straightforward and fine for messing around. There are plenty of free mud hosts too when you get to the point where you need external hosting.

I'm not looking at KaVir's snippet but doesn't it work with GMCP already? Or is that just on his mud?
21 Apr, 2012, SmashTV wrote in the 5th comment:
oh wow so many replies so fast
thank you all so much
i have been trying to learn UNIX lately..
and I don't have any objection to MSDP, infact i've been trying to learn that too..
I'm just wondering which codebase is well documented and still kept up to date?
I don't believe MOO supports MSDP, unless it can be done through out_of_band communications?
All I want is the ASCII map, I don't even need it to show mobs or other npc's in other rooms..
should I just continue using MOO and hand describe each room with my own ASCII maps?
How hard is it to get a MERC mud up and running?
21 Apr, 2012, Kline wrote in the 6th comment:
MSDP is OOB. So you can build nifty things on the client end for those who support it. Getting a Diku/Merc "up" is usually un-archiving it, "make", and then "./startup" or whatever the start script is.
21 Apr, 2012, KaVir wrote in the 7th comment:
Idealiad said:
I'm not looking at KaVir's snippet but doesn't it work with GMCP already? Or is that just on his mud?

Neither support GMCP, perhaps you're thinking of it's predecessor, ATCP? Both my mud (and the snippet) use ATCP as a fallback for clients that don't support MSDP.

On the subject of ASCII maps, IMO it's easier to create a decently sized ASCII map in a room-based mud if you're using a wilderness system.
21 Apr, 2012, Tyche wrote in the 8th comment:
SmashTV said:
I don't believe MOO supports MSDP, unless it can be done through out_of_band communications?

Several MOO cores already support MXP and MCP.
You could easily use the MXP support as a guide in coding protocol support for MSDP or GMCP or whatever.
0.0/8