18 Oct, 2011, plamzi wrote in the 21st comment:
Votes: 0
David Haley said:
IMO if you really need triggers to play your active character something is a little weird. It seems that if you have a pre-baked trigger that everybody will use, you might as well make it part of the gameplay to begin with. Triggers would be useful if you have alternatives, like customizing exactly when you want your character to start healing your groupmates (or whatever).

"Need" is a very relative and subjective term. I've personally never "needed" any triggers over and above the few that were already baked into the game. But that's because I prefer to always have control. I've seen many power players who rely heavily on triggers, not because they need them to progress, but because they believe they give them an edge in certain activities. Those who love to grind are naturally more dependent on triggers.

A whole other source of motivation for having triggers is, of course, convenience. This is especially important for my game because more than half the players are on mobile platforms and many naturally seek to minimize typing.

I'm sure it would be neat for power users if they could script their alts. If I had a more intuitive mob prog engine, I would be more keen to open it up to player scripts. As it is now, even builders have difficulties mastering it, and I hate to waste time on features that will go unused. I was thinking that for starters we can offer keyword / natural language definitions like: "check: grouped, group fighting, my mana over 50%=cast 'heal' tank".
18 Oct, 2011, David Haley wrote in the 22nd comment:
Votes: 0
plamzi said:
"Need" is a very relative and subjective term.

I agree, but to hear most players talk (and indeed many people in this thread, talking about competitive advantages and latency and so forth) it's a strong need. :smile: Like you said, it's not necessarily that they need them, but they think they need them…

plamzi said:
I was thinking that for starters we can offer keyword / natural language definitions like: "check: grouped, group fighting, my mana over 50%=cast 'heal' tank".

Since you already have a custom GUI, I think it would be ideal to make a GUI for this. Drop-down boxes, ordering of rules, things like that.
20.0/22