23 Aug, 2011, hollis wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I've been reading through mud forums and mudstandards.org for the past couple days looking at established protocols that support tagging text without having to extend the protocol. Is MXP the only option, or am I missing something? I am looking to do something like:

IAC SB X SECTION type="inv" IAC SE
Carrying 0.3 of 600.0 encumbrance:
IAC SB X INTERACT type="obj" id="12345" IAC SE a dull dagger IAC SB X ENDINTERACT type="obj" id="12345" IAC SE
IAC SB X INTERACT type="obj" id="12346" IAC SE a shiny dagger IAC SB X ENDINTERACT type="obj" id="12345" IAC SE
IAC SB X INTERACT type="obj" id="12347" IAC SE a sharp dagger IAC SB X ENDINTERACT type="obj" id="12345" IAC SE
IAC SB X ENDSECTION type="inv" IAC SE
23 Aug, 2011, KaVir wrote in the 2nd comment:
Mixing in-band and out-of-band like that is a bad idea - some clients will split up the packet and parse them one after the other, so you'll get all of the out-of-band data first and then all of the in-band data, or vice versa.

If some of the data is in-band, then send it all in-band, using MXP or something similar.
23 Aug, 2011, hollis wrote in the 3rd comment:
KaVir said:
If some of the data is in-band, then send it all in-band, using MXP or something similar.

Ok, gotcha. Are there any established protocols that are in the "or something similar" category, without having to extend the protocol or write a new package for it? MXP was the only one I found. I just want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything.
23 Aug, 2011, KaVir wrote in the 4th comment:
Yeah there's also Pueblo and SFXP. But personally I'd suggest sticking with MXP, it's more widely supported.
24 Aug, 2011, Kaz wrote in the 5th comment:
KaVir said:
Yeah there's also … SFXP.

"Each tag uses the ESC character similar to the Telnet protocol."

Oh dear.
0.0/5