19 Apr, 2011, melopene wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
So, my tinker-toy game concept is something that I've picked up again, and I'd like to spend about 2-3 months getting enough areas and what have you implemented so that it can actually be tested by real player-type people!

Areas, of course, have been the biggest setback, but more so for me than many others for two reasons:
1) I'm a stickler for consistency, a sociology/anthropology nut, and am still developing a number of details about the various cultures that I want to integrate.
2) Areas are getting built on top of an existing world grid, which is currently around 5k rooms. Seriously. So, because areas can go anywhere, it can be difficult to decide -where- to put them and what they should be.

I have the first of what will eventually be four major cities completed with the exception of wandering npcs and a few more shops, with a goal of having the second around 50% completion by the time I let people test things out. There's a lot of little things that need filling in here and there as well, of course.

So what am I looking for? Someone to bounce ideas off of, someone to give me ideas, someone to kick me into gear to get this building done. Oh, and if you want to do some building too, that would be lovely. But what I need most is someone who can see the big picture and help me to make it happen, rather than someone who just wants to build a quick area and be done with it. I also need someone intelligent and mature, and whose eyes won't glaze over when I start talking about things like orbital mechanics or the evolution and speciation of the races.

The game is fantasy-based, with an original history, races, etc. The OLC is your standard ROM implementation, for the most, with mob/obj/room progs added. But as I said, building isn't 100% necessary - and I've taught so many people to use ROM OLC through the years that I can give the how-to in my sleep.

At any rate, if that sounds like something that might appeal to you, please shoot me an email and I'll fill you in on more details. We can see where things take us. :)

-Melly
19 Apr, 2011, Exodus wrote in the 2nd comment:
I don't want to help, but kudos for taking the time to think about where your areas should go. Most muds have them sprinkled wherever and it tends to be confusing.
We are going multi-planar so it has been an ordeal for us that are concerned with sociological or anthropological reasoning behind locale placement.
19 Apr, 2011, melopene wrote in the 3rd comment:
Exodus said:
I don't want to help, but kudos for taking the time to think about where your areas should go. Most muds have them sprinkled wherever and it tends to be confusing.
We are going multi-planar so it has been an ordeal for us that are concerned with sociological or anthropological reasoning behind locale placement.

Thanks :) I've always thought that a lot of MUDs seemed 'schizophrenic', with this thrown in here and there, and not a whole lot of it making any sense. I figure if I'm going to put in all the time and effort, I'd best do it right the first time around.
0.0/3