06 Mar, 2011, Atolmasoff wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Hello all,

Late last year I launched a ROM 2.4 based MUD. I was very pleased with the directions it was headed, and I thought it had a lot of potential. I've recently re-aquired the code, and I'm planning on re-launching it. However, I'm looking for an Admin to help me run this MUD.

It's named Sanctuary of the Forsaken, and I'm making a tribute to a MUD I used to play, that had long died. I'm obviously going to make it my own, but I want it to feel like this MUD did. I plan on making plenty of time for it, but the problem I encountered last time was staff with decent skills, but nobody I could trust with getting builders in, trained, and building. I need someone who can handle running things when I am not on.

I'll contribute as much as I can, and I will code as I get requests. I'll code what I need to in order to make your areas work.

Some of the things I've added, but are not limited to:

- Menu based creation.
- Clan Rankings w/ specific permissions based on ranks. Improved clan chat and added a clan roster command.
- Custom Arena Code. Not 100% functional, but only requires minor tweaks for completion.
- An Automated Auction house.
- PC Corpses save through boots/crash etc.
- Extended Exits. (NE, NW, SE, SW)
- Item Classes for most armor slots. (Cloth/Leather/Mail/Plate)
- Player Owned House code I am working on. It is also mostly operational, but may still have bugs.

That is the list of things I've added to it since it's start. That is not to mention the many featured I have included in my QuickMUD Advanced code. (Room/Object Programs, Improved Channels, etc.)

So back to my point… I'm looking for a compident player, who has alot of experience with Rom/Rot based MUDs. I need them to be able to build, check builder's areas, and help me bring in talent, and take out trash. I'm confident with some TLC and the right admin/builders, this MUD will have solid foundation to build a good community off of.

The theme is just general fantasy. I'm not too particular about what gets put in, but as long as it fits, and the players enjoy it. I'm planning on keeping the stock Rom 2.4 areas, with large changes to some. However, I do want them all re-done. They need to be updated to fit with our time, adjusted to fit the evolving scheme for combat, and all of the armor in the game will need to be modified to fit with the new item class system.

So there is plenty of work to be done and alot of it is tedious, but personally, fun. I hope this can peak some of your interests, and motivate you to drop on in.

Andrew Tolmasoff
Phate

Sanctuary of the Forsaken:
vermaxhosting.com port 8039

E-Mail: atolmasoff87@gmail.com
AIM: AndrewTolmasoff

I'll be online alot of the weekend, but I cannot promise I'll be in my MUD window. If you need to contact me, AIM or an E-Mail will work the best.
08 Mar, 2011, Igabod wrote in the 2nd comment:
You realize that it's going to be next to impossible to get someone to edit every item that exists already in the game right? You would be better off stripping all of the old areas out completely. If you still want to retain some of the stock areas then it would be fairly easy to edit two or three of the major areas like midgaard and thalos and maybe some other small ones. But the idea of editing every single piece of armor/equipment in the 8000 or so stock rooms isn't appealing, even for the most bored of builders.

As for the "general fantasy" theme, I've played quite a lot of muds with that theory on areas. I never stayed at any of them for very long except in the case of Godwars based muds. But areas aren't the focus of that type of mud, pk is. In a Rom base, a certain amount of RP is expected. When a person is walking around in a medieval environment and then they suddenly come across Vegeta or a robot or something like that, it throws off the whole RP vibe. That right there is enough to send most Rom players away. The best idea is to come up with a definite theme, and stick with it. Or at least try to stay close to that theme. I can handle seeing pirate ships on a medieval mud, but not smurfs.

Good luck with your project. I hope you find somebody.
08 Mar, 2011, Ssolvarain wrote in the 3rd comment:
Igabod said:
You realize that it's going to be next to impossible to get someone to edit every item that exists already in the game right?

Not impossible, just highly improbable.
08 Mar, 2011, Igabod wrote in the 4th comment:
right, next to impossible = highly improbable. they're the same thing.
08 Mar, 2011, Cratylus wrote in the 5th comment:
Ssolvarain said:
Igabod said:
You realize that it's going to be next to impossible to get someone to edit every item that exists already in the game right?

Not impossible, just highly improbable.

Monkeys might fly out of my butt.
08 Mar, 2011, Atolmasoff wrote in the 6th comment:
Uh…yeah. It's going to take a long time. But tell you this, I myself can go through a 100vnum area, and modify all existing equipment to fit standards that I CHOOSE within an hour or so. Nothing worth having is going to come easily, or quickly.

And nowhere in my post, do I say this is the number one priority, and all 'new areas' are on hold. As a matter of a fact, most of the 'remodeling' work, will be done by myself, and other builders, when they have spare time, when they are tired of working on their 'custom, unique' area. I've been doing this for a while, and I know what I get bored with. But if I had the option to leave 'The Forest of Illusions', and go re-make Smurfville into a more fantasy appropriate 'Fairy Village'? You bet I'd go do it. Because smurfville doesn't even come remotely close to using all of it's vnums. Builders have tools to list, and edit all objects, mobiles, and rooms without having to know the layout of the area. Obviously, they should know it, but that's not my point.

And I dunno, maybe I feel like doing more than one thing at once?

Guess my point here is you made an assumption in my eyes, and frankly I don't appreciate it. I'm more than confident I could re-work all of my stock areas into a new theme within two weeks. Whether or not you want to believe me is up to you. I'm not here to convince you, but hopefully I can get back what builders your posts have flushed away.
08 Mar, 2011, Cratylus wrote in the 7th comment:
Atolmasoff said:
I'm not here to convince you, but hopefully I can get back what builders your posts have flushed away.

I think you should take a deep breath and not take it too personally.

Someone else's adversarial post by itself isn't likely to turn
away people from helping you who would actually have been a help.

Your own reaction to an adversarial post will make a difference in whether
someone is willing to spend time on your project.

Don't worry bout the h8rs. h8rs gonna h8.

Having said that, I'm not seeing much in this thread that should make you
particularly defensive. Just chill and have some faith that smart people
will get the right idea from your posts if you are careful composing them.

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net
08 Mar, 2011, Atolmasoff wrote in the 8th comment:
Sorry,
Feel I need to follow this up. It wasn't my intention to reply with a hostile post. However, this post was designed to bring builders into my MUD. I wasn't looking for someone's own doubts on what they feel is Impossible or Improbable. Can't stress enough how much I don't care. People will always think what they think, and others will see my post, and think it's a fantastic idea.

I've had several responses to the ad already. And for those of you who chose to log on, I do appreciate it. Guess what I'm getting at is I'm sorry if anyone's feelings were hurt with my post, however, I just don't appreciate someone putting their 2 cents in on a MUD Promotions and Recruitment Board. If I was looking for input, I would have put it in a different forum.

– REPOST –

Hello all,

Late last year I launched a ROM 2.4 based MUD. I was very pleased with the directions it was headed, and I thought it had a lot of potential. I've recently re-aquired the code, and I'm planning on re-launching it. However, I'm looking for an Admin to help me run this MUD.

It's named Sanctuary of the Forsaken, and I'm making a tribute to a MUD I used to play, that had long died. I'm obviously going to make it my own, but I want it to feel like this MUD did. I plan on making plenty of time for it, but the problem I encountered last time was staff with decent skills, but nobody I could trust with getting builders in, trained, and building. I need someone who can handle running things when I am not on.

I'll contribute as much as I can, and I will code as I get requests. I'll code what I need to in order to make your areas work.

Some of the things I've added, but are not limited to:

- Menu based creation.
- Clan Rankings w/ specific permissions based on ranks. Improved clan chat and added a clan roster command.
- Custom Arena Code. Not 100% functional, but only requires minor tweaks for completion.
- An Automated Auction house.
- PC Corpses save through boots/crash etc.
- Extended Exits. (NE, NW, SE, SW)
- Item Classes for most armor slots. (Cloth/Leather/Mail/Plate)
- Player Owned House code I am working on. It is also mostly operational, but may still have bugs.

That is the list of things I've added to it since it's start. That is not to mention the many featured I have included in my QuickMUD Advanced code. (Room/Object Programs, Improved Channels, etc.)

So back to my point… I'm looking for a compident player, who has alot of experience with Rom/Rot based MUDs. I need them to be able to build, check builder's areas, and help me bring in talent, and take out trash. I'm confident with some TLC and the right admin/builders, this MUD will have solid foundation to build a good community off of.

The theme is just general fantasy. I'm not too particular about what gets put in, but as long as it fits, and the players enjoy it. I'm planning on keeping the stock Rom 2.4 areas, with large changes to some. However, I do want them all re-done. They need to be updated to fit with our time, adjusted to fit the evolving scheme for combat, and all of the armor in the game will need to be modified to fit with the new item class system.

So there is plenty of work to be done and alot of it is tedious, but personally, fun. I hope this can peak some of your interests, and motivate you to drop on in.

Andrew Tolmasoff
Phate

Sanctuary of the Forsaken:
vermaxhosting.com port 8039

E-Mail: atolmasoff87@gmail.com
AIM: AndrewTolmasoff

– END REPOST –
09 Mar, 2011, Ssolvarain wrote in the 9th comment:
Igabod said:

No, one is easily done provided you have enough time, while the other is the simple currency of pessimists.

These monkeys must fly out on a regular basis given your general cantankerous nature. See your family doctor.
18 Mar, 2011, Igabod wrote in the 10th comment:
Ssolvarain said:
Igabod said:

No, one is easily done provided you have enough time, while the other is the simple currency of pessimists.

These monkeys must fly out on a regular basis given your general cantankerous nature. See your family doctor.

Lol I'm not sure I agree with you on that first part, but I will say that the second line made me laugh. That's quite a creative insult(?) or whatever it was.
0.0/10