26 Sep, 2010, Marrcon wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Seeking a Co-Owner for a Wheel of Time based Mud.

Said Mud will be on a TBAmud slate, I will be doing all the coding. Co-owners job will be mostly going over ideas with me, and coordinating all the documentation. Also some building and testing.

Applicants should be:
-well verised in the Wheel of time by Robert Jordan.
-played a mud for over a year
-Relize this will not happen over night, but will take alot
of hard work on both our parts.
26 Sep, 2010, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 2nd comment:
Marrcon said:
I will be doing all the coding

I dunno, are you sure about that? I guess to each his/her own, but I would prefer to have help coding.
You might say something like "coding not required…" or something like that.
27 Sep, 2010, Ssolvarain wrote in the 3rd comment:
Put some of your ideas down here. I'd like to see what you might have came up with on your own.
28 Sep, 2010, Bobo the bee wrote in the 4th comment:
I'd love to hear some of your ideas, too. While I'm not looking to help you out with the MUD (that sounds so much more mean when I type it) I really cut my RP teeth on a WoT mud (As the Wheel Weaves, for the particular name) and would love to hear the ideas you might have with the amazing world RJ's made. Personally, I was thinking of setting the MUD I was working on in the WoT world but found it incredibly constraining, even moreso than most books are.
29 Sep, 2010, Marrcon wrote in the 5th comment:
Hmmm, well so far some of the ideas I have come up with are:

Alot of people mud for the sole purpose of the roleplaying, so why should someone that plays muds to roleplay have to worry and xping, so ( dont know how yet that will be fair to xpers) I am going to add in a Rpxp systems. Something based off the emotes I was thinking , the more people involved the more xp, havent decided how to implement this without it being overpowered as of yet.

CHANNELERS
I want the weaving system to be completely unique, so I was thinking what about just like the books? For tower characters learning spells would take place in front of the mistress of novices, but for wilders anywhere. Learned weaves would not be based off, pracs, they would be learned by well learning them. If I wanted to learn a weave I would experiment with the flows.
ex. Weave Earth onto Fire, Weave Water into Air, Weave Spirit around Water. Each weave would have a predetermined combination, once you entered your first set, you would have a short time to enter the next weaving, before the weave collapsed, and that would not be very good. Once you unlock that certian weave, it would then be cast normaly, ex. weave 'balefire' marrcon.
To combat people learning a weave then telling all there friends about it, we could rotate the combinations once every few days. Or better yet, we could make it so that each time a channeler char is made, there is a array of combinations attached to it, dont know about memory yet, would have to look into it.

For the other classes, I was thinking have a baseline class for each, then as they grow stronger they can step into a advanced role.
ex. Warrior at creation, blademaster for advanced. etc etc.
And then even more advanced classes, only attainable by clanning. ex. A warder.

More to follow soon……
29 Sep, 2010, Ssolvarain wrote in the 6th comment:
If you just have the weaves set to a specific order, you'll end up with people just sharing the info around. Now, if you had a system where the weaves could be learned via instruction and also from a large (Like, huge) list of weaves that could be randomly obtained by association… So, for example, a wilder randomly learns how to beguile someone… (or perhaps this is where their character starts?) and after using it so long, with increasing chance, would learn a more advanced form of it, or something a weave with similar effects to it, or something that requires similar flow sequence.

So, a wilder can only learn a few select tricks. Beguiling, listening, the stuff they happen upon that keeps them from self imploding at first. I think it should be extremely difficult for a true wilder to learn new weaves, but RP-wise they'd be unassociated with any specific faction except of their choosing. But they might get their head chopped off by Whitecloaks, or die in experimentation, or ambushed into going to the Tower.

One idea I've shuffled around a long time is an NPC party to accompany you. This could make a Captain of the Guard actually a captain…. of a guard. So if you had npcs that you could control manually or via AI presets, that would be awesome.

Meh. I'm done.
29 Sep, 2010, jurdendurden wrote in the 7th comment:
Marrcon said:
To combat people learning a weave then telling all there friends about it, we could rotate the combinations once every few days. Or better yet, we could make it so that each time a channeler char is made, there is a array of combinations attached to it, dont know about memory yet, would have to look into it.

A mud I once played did monk combos (low punch, mid punch, load kick, sweep, block, etc..), there were like.. 10 combos I think, maybe more. To combat the very thing you are speaking of they did exactly what you stated in the latter, which is to set the combinations for each player individually, which worked to a tee.
29 Sep, 2010, Bobo the bee wrote in the 8th comment:
Marrcon said:
Alot of people mud for the sole purpose of the roleplaying, so why should someone that plays muds to roleplay have to worry and xping, so ( dont know how yet that will be fair to xpers) I am going to add in a Rpxp systems. Something based off the emotes I was thinking , the more people involved the more xp, havent decided how to implement this without it being overpowered as of yet.

I'll go ahead and make this suggestion, since RPXP systems aren't something I'm unfamiliar with but I've yet to see one that I think was implemented "well": make word count a factor. Generally, the RPXP systems I've always seen simply give credit to emote count which encourages people to game the system with a lot of quick, short motes which, to a lot of people, is a real turn-off for a system. Word count is the slightest bit more difficult to do but shouldn't be that hard if you keep track of "wordcount" and "lastRPXPawarded" (to help find out the word count over a period of time) on a character. You could award XP based off of wordcount / lastRPXPawarded * players_in_room or some formula like that, and add modifiers to keep the XP awarded fair between grinders and RPers. It's my personal belief – and I consider myself more of an RPer than a Hack'n'Slasher – that you shouldn't get RPXP at the same rate you could get Combat XP.

Marrcon said:

The problem I see with that is, if you're going for realism, the channeling system does work on a very universal "If you do this, that happens" result, and if you start changing up formulas there could be some real confusion as to how certain things work. Also, there's nothing really stopping me from just making a trigger to run through all the possibilities while I'm sipping at coffee and get all the weaves early on, is there? Now, I will add I think you could get a system like this to work, and if you believe you can you can by all means go for, it's not dumb or anything. What I'd probably do, though, is make OP strength requirements to learn a weave, and OP strength (and strength in the different spheres) goes up as you level, so pretty much I'd probably make a levelish based weaves structure. Sphere increase can be random each level, to simulate different inate spell strengths (and you could certainly have a pre-set OP cap for a player generated upon creation) but the problem with that is you'll get a bunch of players re-rolling chars to get good OP strengths.
0.0/8