23 Sep, 2010, Dean wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Rudha said:
Dean said:
Ultramarines get the attention they do given their adherence to the Codex Astartes, making them the "ideal" Space Marine Chapter. The Imperial Fists have been shadowed by primarily their descendant the Black Templars chapter. Dark Angels have got a lot of attention in more recent times (Including their own codex!) , much of which they owe to Cypher, who IMO is probably the most interesting character GW have cooking for wh40k at the moment. :grinning:

But see that's the thing. They're the average. The run-of-the-mill. The boilerplate. That's not very interesting to me :P The most interesting model designs to me of late are some of the revisits - the new Black Templar models are very interesting though a bit busy - and the Sanguinary Guard got redesigned for me to use as an honour guard unit.

Cypher and Ezekiel always had an interesting backstory, but it's only very recently that they've begun to expound on it. It'll be interesting to see how that works out.

Maya/Rudha

From a player perspective, Ultramarines are intended to be the easiest to use for new players. Besides, someone has to be the boring one to make the others seem more interesting. :smile:

As for Cypher specifically, I predict GW will not conclude his business in yours or my lifetime.
23 Sep, 2010, Rudha wrote in the 2nd comment:
Actually resolve the whole Sword of the Lion thing? Exceeedingly unlikely; though wierder things have happened. But nonetheless it'll be an interesting plot thread to watch unravel. On a related tangient, I always liked the robed look of the Dark Angels models. It seemed … fitting somehow, given the game lore. (They do call the Space Marines the "Angels of Death" after all.)

I should try and get some photographs of my miniatures, I feel like showing them off now. ^^

Maya/Rudha
23 Sep, 2010, Dean wrote in the 3rd comment:
Rudha said:
Actually resolve the whole Sword of the Lion thing? Exceeedingly unlikely; though wierder things have happened. But nonetheless it'll be an interesting plot thread to watch unravel. On a related tangient, I always liked the robed look of the Dark Angels models. It seemed … fitting somehow, given the game lore. (They do call the Space Marines the "Angels of Death" after all.)

I should try and get some photographs of my miniatures, I feel like showing them off now. ^^

Maya/Rudha

Well, if they do end up wrapping it up, they surely cannot do as bad a job as when they killed off Valten in WH Fantasy after Archaon's invasion. :lol:

Please do share photos of your miniatures also! I wish I had some to show off, but alas, I've never purchased a 40k model in my life.
23 Sep, 2010, Rudha wrote in the 4th comment:
As long as they don't do it by resurrecting Horus for a 100th time if they do…

Maya/Rudha
23 Sep, 2010, Bobo the bee wrote in the 5th comment:
I've only got a few models to my name, most of them unpainted, and most of them donations/gifts from other people. While I like painting and all, I'm way more intrigued by the game mechanics themselves. Warhammer 40k is a very enjoyable (usually) mixture of proper planning, proper tactics, and blind luck that makes it very enjoyable for me to tinker with.
26 Sep, 2010, Rudha wrote in the 6th comment:
Painting the minis really is the fun part of it to me, that you can actually use them in a game is the icing on the cake :) When I finally get this camera to cooperate with my laptop, I'll post some pictures.

Maya/Rudha
26 Sep, 2010, Dean wrote in the 7th comment:
I'd take a few pics of my Dwarf army (not 40k, but they've got guns - honest!) but I believe the models didn't fair too well last time I moved house. Plus, they are chalked in dust and I would be exposed as the horrendous painter that I am. :biggrin:
26 Sep, 2010, KaVir wrote in the 8th comment:
I bought some Warhammer 40K boxed set in the distance past, and that had a selection of plastic epic figures (I think this was when epics were first introduced), but I don't think I've ever played 40K, and I didn't have any of their other figures (except for those that came with Space Hulk, which was a very cool game - actually they've recently re-released it).

I used to play the fantasy Warhammer - but this was when 3rd edition had just come out (so I had a mixture of 2nd and 3rd edition rules, and I was suitably unimpressed to see that the point cost of skeletons and zombies had quadrupled). I really liked Skaven, but I could only afford to play undead, because you could buy plastic skeletons in bulk (plus they were really easy to paint).

Back when I started collecting them, the figures were 40p (around 60 cents) each, but the prices kept going up. When they first introduced the plastic figures they were really cheap by comparison, as the argument had always been the high price was due to the metal - but I notice that didn't stop the price of the plastic figures shooting through the roof.

Admittedly the quality has improved quite a lot over the years, but personally I'd be just as happy to play with counters, as long as they were printed with decent artwork on heavy-duty card. Actually I think I'd even prefer that - like Bobo I was always more interested in the gameplay than than the painting. The counters would be a lot easier to store as well.

I did also try one of those clix games a few years ago - Mage Knight. I thought it was actually pretty good fun, and the figures were already painted (which was a plus for me), although I wasn't so struck on the collectable aspect. But the way the rules were built into the bases meant you didn't have to separately keep track of the health of each unit, and I felt it made the gameplay run a little smoother.

Anyone tried running Warhammer 40K as a roleplaying setting? Perhaps using the WFRPG rules?
26 Sep, 2010, Dean wrote in the 9th comment:
KaVir said:
Anyone tried running Warhammer 40K as a roleplaying setting? Perhaps using the WFRPG rules?

I think the closest thing to WFRPG that Warhammer 40k has is Inquisitor. There's also Necromunda and Gorkamorka.
26 Sep, 2010, Rudha wrote in the 10th comment:
There was a very well-run Warhammer 40,000 MUD a while back, I've been wracking google to try to find signs of it since this thread got me thinking; looks like its disappeared, unfortunately.

I agree that it can be a costly game; the problem for Games Workshop is if they went to a token route, they'd have the people (like me, admittedly) who'd cry bloody murder losing the minis to paint, while staying with the minis can be cost prohibitive for the people who are just gamers. There's nothing that says they can't just do what BattleTech did though: go with the tokens with the game packs/etc and then have the minis as neat little extra upsells to the obsessive painter types like me.

Maya/Rudha
27 Sep, 2010, Dean wrote in the 11th comment:
Rudha said:
There was a very well-run Warhammer 40,000 MUD a while back, I've been wracking google to try to find signs of it since this thread got me thinking; looks like its disappeared, unfortunately.

It might have gone the way of Wolfenburg which if I remember correctly, GW requested everything be changed or the MUD be shutdown (such is their right, I suppose). I remember trying one out but it was in beta and seems to have since disappeared also.
27 Sep, 2010, Rudha wrote in the 12th comment:
There's two ides to the story with that one: Anything actually using the Warhammer 40,00 name tends to be, but if you avoid using the popular trademarks they generally give you a pass unless you go baiting them. I speak from some tangentially related second-hand experience since a friend of mine had a brush with them over fan literature. It just comes down to whether people are willing to drop the trademarks from it and have it go on its own strengths or not; personally, if it can't go on it's own strengths it was probably just as well anyways.

There is also the consideration that if you're very closely modelling the mechanics of one of the existing games, then that gets pretty close to duplicating the rulebooks out there and thereby cutting into their precious profit margin :P

Maya/Rudha
28 Sep, 2010, Dean wrote in the 13th comment:
I found this during a google search to see if I could find an official stance on fan literature and the like. There are a few blatant typos in it, which is odd for a legal document.

And to Kavir's question on Warhammer 40k in a roleplay setting, I did find this, which seems to be much closer to WFRPG than anything else I've dug up already.
28 Sep, 2010, Rudha wrote in the 14th comment:
… Yeah, kind of curious, but what I pick up from that is that the way the people in question were offering their products made it look as if those people made Warhammer 40,000; it's always a very good idea to make sure to clearly give credit where credit is due, to avoid problems just like that.

Maya/Rudha
29 Sep, 2010, Kaz wrote in the 15th comment:
Dean said:
KaVir said:

I think the closest thing to WFRPG that Warhammer 40k has is Inquisitor. There's also Necromunda and Gorkamorka.

Recently, I've been playing in a group that uses the WH40K Dark Heresy rules. The maths for it is ridiculously easy, and I think it would convert to MUD reasonably quite well. For a space/ship-oriented theme, there's also Rogue Trader. Other scenarios and rulesets are still being actively implemented by Fantasy Flight Games.
0.0/15