20 Sep, 2010, thaolen wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Hello all, I thought I might put my mud up for public visit, at the moment, it is only in testing phase, and it would give me a little insentive to work harder ;)

"Dragons Cave"

mud.themudhost.net 3020

the title isn't up for now and I'm using the NakedMud codebase.
Check it out from time to time as I'm hoping to extend it soon.

Already a few visits thanks :)

You will see the nakedmud codebase name for the title so don't be concerned if there is no Dragons Cave yet. Working on it
20 Sep, 2010, chrisd wrote in the 2nd comment:
thaolen said:
You will see the nakedmud codebase name for the title so don't be concerned if there is no Dragons Cave yet. Working on it

Edit the "greeting" file in lib/txt/
20 Sep, 2010, thaolen wrote in the 3rd comment:
Thanks
20 Sep, 2010, thaolen wrote in the 4th comment:
Title is up now :)
20 Sep, 2010, thaolen wrote in the 5th comment:
update:

no combat system in place yet.
no questing yet
no stats up
no exp up
20 Sep, 2010, Fevenis wrote in the 6th comment:
What systems have you implemented so far?
20 Sep, 2010, thaolen wrote in the 7th comment:
a few things, using follow.py from nakemud site and a module that hides exits.
21 Sep, 2010, Rudha wrote in the 8th comment:
A few comments:

- I kept dropping connections when I went to give it a whirl. Not sure if it was because you were having fun with copyover, or if it was the server, or simply an unreliable connection.
- You can set the room a new player is created in by changing "start_room" in /lib/muddata, for example this is mine:
start_room                         : traye_gate@Traye

- You might want to add some races, but you probably already knew that.

Maya/Rudha
21 Sep, 2010, thaolen wrote in the 9th comment:
yes I have a few in mind ;) But that will come much later, having a crazy time figuring out things. It will be a good while before I can do that. I would consider the MUD in alpha stage at this time.

No combat, etc I have many things in mind but I'm taking one step at a time. Along to the other topic you said rudha. I took down the mud a few times, had a crash, fixed it, its back up. Thanks for the help on where to send a player, was wondering about that..
21 Sep, 2010, Fevenis wrote in the 10th comment:
What kind of new systems do you have in mind? What kinda races, how will your combat system work?

Any store behind the naming of the MUD?
22 Sep, 2010, thaolen wrote in the 11th comment:
Fevenis wrote:
What kind of new systems do you have in mind? What kinda races, how will your combat system work?

Any store behind the naming of the MUD?

I guess I like the fantasy aspect of Dragon's Cave, sounds fantasy based, RPG, with wizards and mystery. Love
medieval, RPG anyway.

Hmm lets see, the things I want to implement.
Races:
Human
Elf
Dwarf
Triad
Goblin?
Angel which of course you could start out without the (special) powerful magic. and as you progress you would be very powerful, in which all the races would be kind of balanced. But all this in my mind at the time. Angels would be very powerful only after you progress into the higher lvls.

Human need I say more? magic usage, weapons this and that. and which classes you could be wizards

Triad: I like the name , just thought it up one day, I know there is such a name anyway but it sounds like a cool race. I will use the classic stat system in which you have.

Str
Int
Wis
Exp
and so on

I don't have much of an idea for Triad race yet. However I think they will look rather unique ;)

Elf: high magic user anyway. good with small weapons and can use assortment of blades etc. Im willing to give a little, there is nothing worse then being hindered because your race can't hold such and such item or weapon.

Dwarf: usually what they do strong races. Good for axes this and that, so that should be fun, and I think all races should have the chance to use anything they get their hands on. Take for instance any race picks up a Master Rod or something with lots of Mag+ the guy with the lower int zaps himself of something (haha) Hard to implement? Maybe but it will be fun, now I set a goal, I'm going to guess 6 months because my coding skills are still scratch. All races will be able to touch wear use hold and experience all objects in the MUD. With the exception of how heavy that object is, if you can't get your strength up then too bad, but with spells and potions or even buffs it could even last for a few days.

I'm glad you brought up this question I was willing to keep the ideas contained in me till I started "real" work on the MUD. But I had them nevertheless.

Fevenis: You've seen the mud and past the tavern which isn't much you have seen a theme at least I hope you have. Its hard to explain but it will continue whatever it is molding into . I will remove the foundation of NM soon anyway. Since I have opened the mud for public viewing. It has given me ideas. So thanks all for the visit, I know you want Mobs and combat but I'm a novice programmer. At the moment I'm trying to make triggers that create random occurences, like water drops from the ceiling randomly. Anyway its fun in the process and hope to get it up even in 2 months, to the point where its playable that is my wish anyway. So I go for small goals and take my time.

listen command: I want to make this, what it will do and its nice to have a surreal experience in MUD isn't it? well I think so. You would type listen and in a room not every room sheesh that would be a lot of extra work lol you would be able to see in tex "You hear fighting down the hall, or you hear birds chirping." stuff like that. It would be a nice added feature.

I don't want to give things away for magic spells but its my goal to give you (interesting) magic. From a mud I played in 97 it had tons of custom additions so it was inspiration for me in the long run, which has shutdown. Greystone R.I.P

Combat system: This one is still in the thinking process but for now, I would say the usual, you hit mob mob hits you. But would be allowed many skills in combat. If you have armour on if somone hits parts of your body where the armour is it would be damaged or your staff if someone hit it there might be damage, even your sword could break, that would suck 'haha' So I'm interested in making combat interactive in the fact that cool things would be in combat. I have no limits to the MUD i'm totally open minded with the exception of fairness in gameplay. One it will have a PK mode ON of OFF your choice. that way no one will be annoyed being killed, like the mmo's out there.

I would have a rule. if you have PK ON and someone kills you over and over again and you want to keep your PK on and they continue killing you for no reason other then to annoy, they will be smited. This is a warning, Something along the lines of half or more then half their life will be taken away and maybe a lvl drop. There is no need for unfairness. I believe in fair gaming. I played a game once where your trying to get exp points and someone keeps killing you and just to do it. which wastes you time and thus makes you hate the game.

When you die you will have to go back and get your corpse, I like that anyway, keeps the tradition of mudding.

I hope this clears up the questions for now ;)

EDIT:
Things like hidden areas and of course quests. I might do power lvl but really doesn't that take the challenge out of it? Team level is fine. And I want to give lots of levels.
22 Sep, 2010, Oliver wrote in the 12th comment:
thaolen said:
I don't have much of an idea for Triad race yet. However I think they will look rather unique ;)

Concept image:

22 Sep, 2010, thaolen wrote in the 13th comment:
haha, nono not the Chinese Mob :P I know about the triads
22 Sep, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 14th comment:
haha, nono not the Japanese Mob :P I know about the triads

The Triad are the Chinese mafia, not Japanese… the Japanese version are the Yakuzas.
22 Sep, 2010, thaolen wrote in the 15th comment:
well I learn something new ;)
0.0/15