01 Sep, 2010, jurdendurden wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Ok. To preface this, I'll tell you that today Windows 7 got a virus on it. I don't have a disk for it. I'm also broke and can't afford one right now. :/ A while back I installed Ubuntu 10.04 and set up dual booting, but hardly touched it. So in light of all this I've made the full conversion to Ubuntu. I've spent all afternoon configuring everything from fonts, to installed programs, and much much more. I've learned an AWFUL lot in one day about how things go in Linux/Ubuntu. (Always though I knew a load because I used linux commands to startup my mud, boy was I wrong.)

I'm now well versed in permissions, mounting, and more, and my command vocabulary has probabled doubled today alone. However, with all of this I am having trouble with the one thing I wish I wasn't and that I can't overlook. When I log into putty, which I'm running through WINE, if I hit page up or page down, it sends telnet chars to the terminal, rather than paging up and down. ALSO, my control keys seems completely unfunctional, as in, I try CTRL+W in nano (that's right I use nano… maybe I'll switch to vi/vim after all this :P), and nothing at all happens. It's supposed to bring up a search box. Anyhow… any ideas on this? I've found a couple things on google and a small mention in Putty's user guide, but nothing that made sense. Any ideas/help are appreciated :)

EDIT:

I may be going about this wrong too. I know that Putty is a terminal client for Windows, so is there some other way I could go about connecting to my server via bash? (i'm sure there is but I don't know the command).

2nd EDIT:

I know this isn't a Linux forum but everyone here is extremely knowledgeable and I figured this would be a good place to start anyhow.
01 Sep, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 2nd comment:
Is there a reason why you don't use the native terminal program, rather than putty under WINE? If you're using Ubuntu, I think it's under Programs > Accessories > Terminal or something like that – it'll put you into a shell, at which point you can do something like:
ssh username@servername
and it'll be as if you ran putty, except it'll be using a native terminal rather than the Windows-console-app-under-WINE.
01 Sep, 2010, jurdendurden wrote in the 3rd comment:
I use the terminal a lot but I didn't know about the telnet command until about ten minutes ago. I'm very very new to Linux so my afternoon has been one google session after another :) At any rate I'm having problems understanding how it works. I can telnet aragond.com 22 (apparently successfully), but then I get, SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_5.1p1 Debian-6ubuntu2, and another prompt. I would normally get a username/password request so I type my username and it closes connection. :/

EDIT:

And says protocol mismatch.
01 Sep, 2010, jurdendurden wrote in the 4th comment:
Thank you David. I should have thoroughly read your post. Once I used the ssh command everything is in order. :) Thanks a lot!
01 Sep, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 5th comment:
No problem. :smile:
Some servers have a telnet server open, but most don't, for security reasons. When you connect over telnet, everything is sent unencrypted so a listener could get your password (and whatever else you send over). When you use ssh, everything gets encrypted and in principle it's far more difficult to intercept what you send. For this reason, most server administrators disable telnet (and many Linux distros disable it by default). What you were seeing is trying to use the telnet protocol to connect to an ssh server, which is why you were getting the ssh banner and the protocol mismatch.
01 Sep, 2010, Cooldown wrote in the 6th comment:
I'd like to put this out there, putty has a *nix source code you can compile unless I'm mistaken. I have putty and it doesn't run through WINE.
01 Sep, 2010, jurdendurden wrote in the 7th comment:
Found the *nix version, thanks!
01 Sep, 2010, quixadhal wrote in the 8th comment:
The usual way is to just use the "ssh" command from a terminal window. Putty does the combined job of a terminal window AND a connection program (telnet/ssh/etc).
0.0/8