14 Jul, 2010, 3squire wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
For the past few weeks I have been developing a browser-based game. Though a lot of parts are unfinished, the most rudimentary aspects are off the ground, and in a week or two it will probably be far enough along to actually function in playable way. So though this post is a little early, I'm itching to show it off and get some comments back. If you're willing, any feedback is welcome!

The game server can be accessed at http://fragileserver1.appspot.com

Again, this is even pre-Alpha at this point, but the opportunity to test the Help Wiki, the Forums, and the Messaging system and get some feedback on how they work would be really appreciated, along with the responsiveness and overall feel.

Thanks in advance
14 Jul, 2010, KaVir wrote in the 2nd comment:
Registration seems clear. Pretty logos. The stats appear balanced (equal number of bonuses and penalties) but other than ATTACK and DEFENCE I've no real idea what they do - it'd be nice to have some flavour text about the factions as well as a rundown of what the different things do, and perhaps a recommendation for newbies. Something like Travian did in their manual perhaps..

In the end I went for Tec Han because "DIPLOMACY" sounds like a charisma-style dump stat, and Tec Han has the lowest DIPLOMACY value. I was then presented with the following:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/base/python_runtime/python_lib/versions/1/google/appengine/ext/webapp/__init__.py", line 513, in __call__
handler.post(*groups)
File "/base/data/home/apps/fragileserver1/1.343362883518074812/auth/suas.py", line 193, in post
session(self).create_user(e,u,p,r)
File "/base/data/home/apps/fragileserver1/1.343362883518074812/auth/suas.py", line 49, in create_user
"""+"http://fragileserver1.appspot.com/valida...(tmp.key()))
File "/base/python_runtime/python_lib/versions/1/google/appengine/api/mail.py", line 270, in send_mail
message.send(make_sync_call)
File "/base/python_runtime/python_lib/versions/1/google/appengine/api/mail.py", line 745, in send
raise ERROR_MAP[e.application_error](e.error_detail)
InvalidSenderError: Unauthorized sender

I tried to register again and it said "That email address is already on file.", but attempting to log in gives me the message "That account has not been activated yet." Presumably I should have received an authorisation code by email?
14 Jul, 2010, 3squire wrote in the 3rd comment:
You can see what I mean by pre-alpha!

Don't set your expectations too high just yet. I'm mostly trying to test out subsytems, and not the core game just yet – I'm hoping diplomacy will matter more than just incidentally. My goal is to make 3 of the races balanced, and one of the races likely to prey on other members of the same race, at least strategically.

The problem with the emails is rather dumb, but it has to do with some odd limitations placed on applications using Google App Engine's Email interface. Anyway, I was having it send the user the registration email using their own email address which is valid but only if you are authenticating using google accounts. Since I am using a custom authorization scheme, I have to send from an adminstrator's email but the only adminstrator email on file was my personal email address which I would rather not send out to everyone on earth. Now I have an administrator's email for the game implemented and it is gtg at least on that front.

Sorry! Always sucks to fail epically on sign up.

Sigh.
14 Jul, 2010, Chris Bailey wrote in the 4th comment:
I had the exact same problem a few minutes ago. I thought it was resolved?
15 Jul, 2010, 3squire wrote in the 5th comment:
The Dashboard shows that the emails have been sent – I wonder if they are being tossed into people's spam filters? Unless you actually receive the error vomit that KaVir received, you should have an email with an activation link.

Clearly in the final version of the game's registration screens the option to "re-send the activation email" will exist. I'd be happy to activate people's accounts manually except that the whole purpose is to see if the game's subsystems (like registration -> account activation) actually work.

This is depressing, obviously.
15 Jul, 2010, Chris Bailey wrote in the 6th comment:
I received the e-mail and my account activated successfully. No worries! =)
15 Jul, 2010, KaVir wrote in the 7th comment:
No email for me…any chance you could wipe my account so I can try again?
0.0/7