01 Oct, 2010, lockewarrior wrote in the 41st comment:
Votes: 0
Ubuntu is not the opportunity of choice. It has a place, I suppose.. Windows users who might not be so comp-savvy can use it as a starting point to migrate into the Linux world, but really, IMHO it has become too bloated. We've done multiple benchmarks now between Ubuntu 10.04 and Debian 5, and in nearly all tests Debian outperformed unexpectedly.

If you are going to check out Linux Mint, I would highly recommend Linux Mint Debian Edition. It's built of the 'squeeze' repo of Debian, and it is a rolling-update release. If you here people say that this is not a stable operating system for home use or things like MUD development, they are wrong.

Squeeze has been frozen for a while now, there is nothing likely to break on this, and the more it's supported, the more stable it will become. I for one strongly support Mint moving away from Ubuntu.

I set it up on an old machine of mine that I had been -unable- to get Arch, Ubuntu, or Fedora to run on. Debian Mint installs from DVD and it worked great. Installed newest versions of gcc, ruby, lua, and was able to compile and run mudlet, dead-souls, AFKmud, smaugfuss, coralmud, and teensymud.

cheers.
02 Oct, 2010, Tonitrus wrote in the 42nd comment:
jurdendurden said:
Two words about Ubuntu: grub rescue. :/

I recently went over to the linux side and after updating, rebooted my machine, only to find out that my bootloader (GRUB) was screwed. No way to recover from that other than reinstalling. Great fun. Couldn't even try and dual boot into Windows. Was not a happy day for me.

I'd just boot to a livecd and reinstall grub, personally.
02 Oct, 2010, Runter wrote in the 43rd comment:
Its pretty common to fix grub by hand by just editing the config file. Its common for the partition paths to be wrong when upgrading exotic ubuntu distros on dual booting machines.
02 Oct, 2010, jurdendurden wrote in the 44th comment:
Tonitrus said:
jurdendurden said:
Two words about Ubuntu: grub rescue. :/

I recently went over to the linux side and after updating, rebooted my machine, only to find out that my bootloader (GRUB) was screwed. No way to recover from that other than reinstalling. Great fun. Couldn't even try and dual boot into Windows. Was not a happy day for me.

I'd just boot to a livecd and reinstall grub, personally.

Heh yeah except when I installed I downloaded it and mounted it that way and my other computer has no cd burner so i'm busted in that area for the moment.
02 Oct, 2010, Davion wrote in the 45th comment:
You can always use a USB stick!
02 Oct, 2010, Mudder wrote in the 46th comment:
Davion, because of your avatar every post you make comes off to me as an excited young boy shouting his reply with a burst of energy, unable to contain himself any longer.

…I rather like it.
03 Oct, 2010, jurdendurden wrote in the 47th comment:
Davion said:
You can always use a USB stick!

Thanks for the link! I had tried to do this previously but I was going about it all wrong… I'll see if I can get it up and running again next day off :) And mudder's right, your new avatar does make your posts seem all giddy heh :)
40.0/47