30 Jun, 2010, Scandum wrote in the 61st comment:
Votes: 0
It's more so that mushclient people reject VT100 out of hand, even though it's relatively easy to add, widely supported, and the most solid standard available. I'd have thought with mc being open source vt support would have been added by now, but I guess there are few programmers of Zugg's caliber.
30 Jun, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 62nd comment:
Lulzy troll is lulzy.
30 Jun, 2010, KaVir wrote in the 63rd comment:
Runter said:
How much would someone need to know about mushclient and lua to write plugins like this for it?

I had no experience of either when I started. But Nick's website has some really good documentation for MUSHclient, and Lua is pretty simple (although I didn't bother learning it as such, I just did a google for the basic syntax - no doubt a Lua programmer will find my code very ugly). I'm still very much a MUSHclient newbie, but I've tried to compensate by shifting as much of the workload as possible to the server.

Scandum said:
You could have created a VT100 interface in a lot less time, and by steering people away from mushclient instead of toward it have a pretty large portion of your player base use it. Of course it wouldn't look as good. I'm still somewhat pessimistic, then again, it's a lot less trouble when a dev only adds MSDP, and leaves the client side development to the playerbase.

Emphasis mine. The simple fact is that eye candy sells - not just to newbies, but also to established players who have the ability to write plugins, and to other mud owners or codebase developers who might be considering adding MSDP support. Our protocol discussions, while interesting to us, will be too dry for many readers. But everyone understands sexy screenshots.

When I first added MSDP, it was for a TinTin++ user - he was already working on his own script, which he'd distributed to several other players, but even back then MUSHclient was the most popular client among my playerbase. With one person already working on a TinTin++ script, I decided to produce an example MUSHclient plugin - partly because it was a good way for me to test MSDP, partly because I hoped it would inspire my players to create their own plugins, and partly because it was fun. I guess I got a bit carried away.

However it's certainly my hope that future plugin development will be pushed forward by the playerbase, and perhaps other muds will decide to get in on the action as well.
30 Jun, 2010, Scandum wrote in the 64th comment:
KaVir said:
The simple fact is that eye candy sells - not just to newbies, but also to established players who have the ability to write plugins, and to other mud owners or codebase developers who might be considering adding MSDP support. Our protocol discussions, while interesting to us, will be too dry for many readers. But everyone understands sexy screenshots.

The main thing to consider is that you're offering a first and third class interface, rather than a first, second, and third class one, which would cover a larger audience given platform dependencies. It doesn't help that no clear documentation exists for creating server side VT100 interfaces, but that's on my todo list.
60.0/64