10 Mar, 2010, Runter wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I couldn't find the thread where the discussion took place but there was some questions regarding the differences in ruby 1.9 and 1.8. Here's some benchmarks that include various ruby implementations. It was ran under ubuntu 8.10 and 1 test under windows ultimate 64.

It's a little dated but it should still be relevant per the versions in question.

I thought it was particularly interesting that compiled from source was significantly faster than the ubuntu distributed package.
10 Mar, 2010, Tyche wrote in the 2nd comment:
Is that Vista benchmark using MinGW?
10 Mar, 2010, Runter wrote in the 3rd comment:
No, I don't believe so.
10 Mar, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 4th comment:
How interesting that the Java implementation (I'm assuming that JRuby is Java Ruby) is faster than everything but one. I wonder if this is because the Java VM's JIT is superior to whatever people are doing in their other implementations, or if the Java implementation has better algorithms etc.

And yes, it is also interesting that Ruby compiled from source is twice as fast as the distributed version. I wonder why that is. Could it be things like optimization?
10 Mar, 2010, Runter wrote in the 5th comment:
David Haley said:
How interesting that the Java implementation (I'm assuming that JRuby is Java Ruby) is faster than everything but one. I wonder if this is because the Java VM's JIT is superior to whatever people are doing in their other implementations, or if the Java implementation has better algorithms etc.

And yes, it is also interesting that Ruby compiled from source is twice as fast as the distributed version. I wonder why that is. Could it be things like optimization?

Yeah, those are what I thought.

I think JRuby is particularly interesting because of the full access through ruby to the Java library. It's also only 1 of 3 implementations to fully support Rails. (1.8, 1.9, and JRuby.)
10 Mar, 2010, Tyche wrote in the 6th comment:
Runter said:
No, I don't believe so.

If it's the one-click install then it's using either the free VC6 or MinGW gcc 3.x which are significantly slower than VC8.
Your ubuntu distro versus source is likely related to the Ruby packaged using gcc 3.x, and gcc 4.x being the default Ubuntu compiler??
Gcc 4.x optimization is catching up to MS and Intel compilers.

Without knowing whether these were running on the same hardware, nor which version of compiler, JVM, I can only say there is not enough useful information here to say much of anything.
10 Mar, 2010, Runter wrote in the 7th comment:
They were running on the same hardware. It was the one click installer for vista. It was compiled with ggc 4 in ubuntu.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (2.4 GHz) CPU and 8 GB of RAM

Ruby Benchmark Suite was used.

Best result for each of 5 iterations was used and does not include startup times to parse and compile classes and methods for the first time.
0.0/7