10 Mar, 2010, Runter wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Interesting library I stumbled across.

http://rua.rubyforge.org/

I'm probably going to explore it more. There's somewhat a lack of clarity in the documentation but from the limited example it looks somewhat interesting for using Lua out of Ruby.

Oh, here's another one I may look at.

http://rubyluabridge.rubyforge.org/
10 Mar, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 2nd comment:
Nifty. I recently stumbled across Lunatic Python which is similar but for Python.

So what do you think the advantages of this approach are?
10 Mar, 2010, Cratylus wrote in the 3rd comment:
rooks gleat
10 Mar, 2010, Runter wrote in the 4th comment:
David Haley said:
Nifty. I recently stumbled across Lunatic Python which is similar but for Python.

So what do you think the advantages of this approach are?

It could be a good way of controlling what in the core gets exposed to Lua without a lot of additional work. I haven't really explored it too much so I'm not completely sure about this libraries capabilities.
10 Mar, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 5th comment:
Well, I guess I meant that in the past you (and others) seem to have said that if you have Ruby you don't need Lua. So before I get on my own soapbox, I'm curious to hear your thoughts. And I'm particularly curious because I'm having the same question for myself as I consider whether or not there's any point in embedding Lua in Python. The only argument I can really come up with for now is how easy it is to sandbox the Lua state. So I'm curious what your thoughts are because you've presumably been thinking about this problem as well.
10 Mar, 2010, Runter wrote in the 6th comment:
David Haley said:
Well, I guess I meant that in the past you (and others) seem to have said that if you have Ruby you don't need Lua. So before I get on my own soapbox, I'm curious to hear your thoughts. And I'm particularly curious because I'm having the same question for myself as I consider whether or not there's any point in embedding Lua in Python. The only argument I can really come up with for now is how easy it is to sandbox the Lua state. So I'm curious what your thoughts are because you've presumably been thinking about this problem as well.

Well, I spend a lot of time looking into other technologies that I may not be using currently for a given project. Honestly, this library probably isn't going to be something I employ in my MUD codebase I am developing. I'm planning on using a Ruby based domain specific language which I've been working on this week.

That being said, I don't dislike Lua. It's a tool that a lot of people are going to use. In the past I would have used C or C++ for most of the core of my applications and scripted out of the core with something like tcl. These days if I went that route it would be Lua. Recently I've been exploring using Ruby for the core purpose, mostly. If I chose Lua or in the future decide to use Lua for this purpose a library like this would be immensely useful. For people like me who are choosing Ruby I think it would be foolish to decide they can't use Lua if they use Ruby as their core. Or that it's going to be more difficult than other options. With libraries like this it seems like it could be somewhat easy to do.
12 Mar, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 7th comment:
Fair enough. I'm in the process of trying to decide whether it's worth having two scripting languages talking to each other, if the core is in Python/Ruby. I still believe that Lua sandboxing is much better, and have been relatively unimpressed with Ruby and Python sandboxing discussed here (and other places). But that alone isn't necessarily enough to warrant all the annoyances of integrating it.

I was working on a project where the core is C++ and Lua implements the logic, but frankly even just the core in C++ was too much of a PITA. I've been spoiled enough by dynamic languages that going back to C++ for prototypes is simply irritating. It would be fine if I had already mapped out what I was doing, but at this early stage of just fooling around, it's far too much irrelevant effort. So anyhow, I've been considering moving to Python, which of course begs the question of how much I still need Lua. I certainly wouldn't need it for myself to add dynamic features, but it could still be useful as a sandboxed environment provided to end-users (or builders or whatever). In this particular project's case, the end-users are players, and there are no builders to speak of (it's a 'Rampart' clone) so I'm thinking that using Lua is pointless if the core is Python.
12 Mar, 2010, Runter wrote in the 8th comment:
I was working on a project where the core is C++ and Lua implements the logic, but frankly even just the core in C++ was too much of a PITA.

Yes. :p
0.0/8