24 Feb, 2010, Runter wrote in the 21st comment:
Votes: 0
JohnnyStarr said:
Is it able to run sshd in the background?
I would like to be able to putty into it from my lappy from time to time. :smirk:

Yes, it is literally a full fledged linux distro. :p
24 Feb, 2010, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 22nd comment:
Looks like Ubuntu also, this pleases me :lol:

EDIT:
To Runter and anyone else who writes Ruby in Vim, what kind of color scheme did you go with?
With all of Ruby's different sigils and symbols, I cant decide what might look best.

Any screen shots might help me get a good idea too :)
24 Feb, 2010, Kayle wrote in the 23rd comment:
JohnnyStarr said:

EDIT:
To Runter and anyone else who writes Ruby in Vim, what kind of color scheme did you go with?
With all of Ruby's different sigils and symbols, I cant decide what might look best.

It's Debian. Which is what Ubuntu is derived from. So it works in much the same way.
24 Feb, 2010, bbailey wrote in the 24th comment:
Kayle said:
JohnnyStarr said:

EDIT:

It's Debian. Which is what Ubuntu is derived from. So it works in much the same way.

According to andLinux:

andLinux is a complete Ubuntu Linux system running seamlessly in Windows 2000 based systems (2000, XP, 2003, Vista, 7; 32-bit versions only).
24 Feb, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 25th comment:

I don't change my color scheme based on language, I have a single color scheme (based on evening, if I remember correctly).

I found some dinky sample code and it looks like this:

Generally it's pretty simple. I like strings and numbers being differentiated. I like keywords being differentiated. I don't like operators and braces being differentiated unless I can do it subtly (e.g., a grayish color instead of white).

What I like about this is that I can pull up pretty much any language and have some assurances that the same syntactic constructs will tend to have the same coloring.

Only very occasionally will I customize colors for a specific language, but that doesn't happen too often.
24 Feb, 2010, Runter wrote in the 26th comment:
24 Feb, 2010, Kayle wrote in the 27th comment:
bbailey said:
Kayle said:
JohnnyStarr said:

EDIT:

According to andLinux:

andLinux is a complete Ubuntu Linux system running seamlessly in Windows 2000 based systems (2000, XP, 2003, Vista, 7; 32-bit versions only).

Musta changed then, last I downloaded it, it was plain Debian.
25 Feb, 2010, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 28th comment:
Thanks.

Hey, you know how omni complete uses Ctrl+X+O to auto complete?
Somehow in C / C++ when you type either the . or -> dereference operators it does Ctrl+X+O on it's own.
I was wanting to do this in ruby so i dont have to do the extra keystroke, any ideas? I've gotten vim-ruby installed
and everything else for auto completion.
25 Feb, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 29th comment:
Take a look at how OmniCppComplete does it; the trick is to register functions that notice the appropriate key being pressed. From 'autoload/omni/cpp/complete.vim':

" Init mappings
function! omni#cpp#complete#Init()
call omni#cpp#settings#Init()
set omnifunc=omni#cpp#complete#Main
inoremap <expr> <C-X><C-O> omni#cpp#maycomplete#Complete()
inoremap <expr> . omni#cpp#maycomplete#Dot()
inoremap <expr> > omni#cpp#maycomplete#Arrow()
inoremap <expr> : omni#cpp#maycomplete#Scope()
endfunc
25 Feb, 2010, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 30th comment:
Hmm, I'll have to figure out if i can make that work with ruby-complete.vim

Another thing comes to mind, I've been using andLinux now, and I love it, but I cant seem to figure out how
to ssh into my Tower with my laptop. For example, the ip to the andLinux box is 192.168.11.150, as where my
PC's ip is 192.168.0.11

I've tried all sorts of stuff from my other computers and no go. I couldn't find anything in port forwarding that
would allow me to forward anything but 192.168.0.*
25 Feb, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 31st comment:
You mean that AndLinux's IP, on the PC, is 192.168.11.150, whereas the host PC is 192.168.0.11? Is sshd running? Is its firewall open? Can you ssh into it from the host PC?

You shouldn't need port forwarding if this is all on your internal network.

I've never used AndLinux so there might be some details that I don't know about; perhaps somebody can clear that up.
25 Feb, 2010, Tyche wrote in the 32nd comment:
The primary reason I haven't switched to ruby 1.9 is because of the encoding aware strings.

There's a wealth of criticism and praise out there in Rubyland.
This series of articles attempts to document how it works: http://blog.grayproductions.net/articles...
25 Feb, 2010, Tyche wrote in the 33rd comment:
JohnnyStarr said:
Is it able to run sshd in the background?
I would like to be able to putty into it from my lappy from time to time. :smirk:

You can run sshd daemon on cygwin, as well as other popular daemons.
25 Feb, 2010, Runter wrote in the 34th comment:
David Haley said:
You mean that AndLinux's IP, on the PC, is 192.168.11.150, whereas the host PC is 192.168.0.11? Is sshd running? Is its firewall open? Can you ssh into it from the host PC?

You shouldn't need port forwarding if this is all on your internal network.

I've never used AndLinux so there might be some details that I don't know about; perhaps somebody can clear that up.

You don't need any forwarding to access it from the machine hosting it. You do need port forwarding to access it from other machines.

You need port forward from the windows machine hosting it. andlinux is connected to your windows machine via a virtual network code. It is not part of other networks however. For them to access it, it must be access across the windows software.

There are config files for andlinux that let you do this without hassle btw. Or you can do it on your own.

Just to be clear, it should be forwarding specific port requests on your host PC to your virtual nic. So you'll need specialized software to do this that is running on your pc–or you can let andlinux do it. (But I can't remember where the config files are and exactly what to do.)
25 Feb, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 35th comment:
So AndLinux doesn't have any kind of network bridging like VMWare does? That's too bad – with VMWare, the VM can look like a machine on the network rather like any other, IIRC at least.
25 Feb, 2010, Runter wrote in the 36th comment:
David Haley said:
So AndLinux doesn't have any kind of network bridging like VMWare does? That's too bad – with VMWare, the VM can look like a machine on the network rather like any other, IIRC at least.

andlinux isn't a virtual machine.
25 Feb, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 37th comment:
Well, yes, I know, but I'm not sure how that means it cannot possibly have a network bridge or otherwise install a network driver that can get its own IP address…
25 Feb, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 38th comment:
This forum thread seems to suggest that you can, in fact, connect straight to the AndLinux daemon without bothering with port forwarding, as long as you are within the same network of course. (Port forwarding is still required, clearly, if connecting from outside the NAT router that your network is on.)
25 Feb, 2010, Runter wrote in the 39th comment:
http://andlinux.org/wiki/index.php5?titl....

Follow up for how to get your services accessible.
25 Feb, 2010, Runter wrote in the 40th comment:
David Haley said:
This forum thread seems to suggest that you can, in fact, connect straight to the AndLinux daemon without bothering with port forwarding, as long as you are within the same network of course. (Port forwarding is still required, clearly, if connecting from outside the NAT router that your network is on.)

That's not what I read there, and that hasn't been my experience. Unless by same network you mean the 2 computer network setup by the TAP-Colinux network interface.
20.0/55