03 Nov, 2006, Vladaar wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Hello,

Anyone knowledgable about routers, and port forwarding I would ask what you suggest in purchasing for a good game host router.

My motorola 850g is junk, and refuses to open a port even with the port forwarding enabled, and Motorola will not help at all.

Thanks,

Vladaar
03 Nov, 2006, Brinson wrote in the 2nd comment:
I have an Airlink and I have the same problem. It won't open the port no matter what I do.

I've heard Linksys is the best router company, but don't know from personal experience.
03 Nov, 2006, Cratylus wrote in the 3rd comment:
There's just one thing I'd caution about Linksys routers.

They forward fine, but some of the newer ones (and I'm
pretty sure this is a firmware issue) have a short connection
timeout, like 5 minutes or less.

For outbound web-browsing that's probably fine. But for running
a server, this non-user-accessible "feature" is a real problem.

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net
04 Nov, 2006, Asylumius wrote in the 4th comment:
I have a Linksys WRTG54G and it's great. You can get some 3rd party firmware called DD-WRT that adds more functionality too.

I forward a ton of crap, mainly bittorrent and a few games. All works fine.
04 Nov, 2006, kiasyn wrote in the 5th comment:
do not get a D-LINK DSL-G604T!! :P
04 Nov, 2006, Vladaar wrote in the 6th comment:
Thanks guys,

I think I may go with Linksys

I have gone to their website, and emailed their techs explaining exactly what I need the router to be able to do, and asking them what they have that can meet my needs, instead of me guessing, and finding out I'm out of luck.

Vladaar
04 Nov, 2006, Conner wrote in the 7th comment:
Good luck, Vladaar, my own experience with linksys hasn't been 100% happy. *shrug*
A spare linux box makes the very best firewall/router in my opinion.
04 Nov, 2006, Guest wrote in the 8th comment:
Just one caution about dealing with Linksys tech support. The people at level 1 and 2 who will most likely be answering your question won't know if the router can handle your specific need. We have a number of ex-linksys employees working in our IT department who have all shared similar stories of the front line support personnel. You may need to hound them for awhile before they escalate you to someone at level 3 who actually knows who to ask about specifics like this.
04 Nov, 2006, Tyche wrote in the 9th comment:
You might want to also verify that your host ISP doesn't block ports. I've had issues along those lines.
04 Nov, 2006, Vladaar wrote in the 10th comment:
I bought a Linksys BEFSR41, and got it working minutes after taking it out of the box. Works like a champ. I wrote Motorolla a nastygram for refusing to help me with theirs, and refusing to look into it when I told them their port forwarding didn't work.

Vladaar
05 Nov, 2006, Conner wrote in the 11th comment:
Hmm, that's the same linksys I had (had two of them on my network before I started using plain switches with my linux box set up as a firewall/router instead). Good luck with it, it's not a bad router and it does work pretty well, but it likes to reset itself when you lose power and doesn't always hold forwarded ports open as well as it should from my experience, though maybe they've fixed those problems through flash updates since I stopped using it.
0.0/11