22 Jan, 2010, deathrow35 wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Thanks to ya'll that have been helping with errors. I was just wondering what the best way to go about coding a ship code? I want it to be kind of like a vehicle but multiple rooms and carry more than one person. How would i go about doing this?
22 Jan, 2010, jurdendurden wrote in the 2nd comment:
I've been working on the same sort of setup for my mud. It's not perfected/complete but it's pretty close. I couldn't find any mud codebase out there that really tickled my pickle as far as features concerning ships, with one exception, the SWFOTE Fuss codebase.

The only issue there is that the ships are space ships and there's a lot of extraneous stuff involved that I didn't need. So I stripped it down and have been working on porting it to my mud since. If anything check out this codebase just to get an idea of what could be involved for what you might want. They include several rooms, weapons upgrades, and some other nice features.
22 Jan, 2010, Davion wrote in the 3rd comment:
I think he's using Quickmud (right?) if you are, you could probably make a ship/vehicle just a small movable area. You could make new exit slots for both exiting and entering vehicles! :P… Listen to Skol :)
22 Jan, 2010, Skol wrote in the 4th comment:
That's what I'm doing for mine (Rom 2.4b2 in '96, so similar).
Basically what I'm doing is areas without exits, then using a modified portal system for the exits/entrances, then those portals move based on the person guiding the ship. Ship flag for a room (or item, say a rudder, captains wheel, yardarm etc) that allows the person to control the movement of the ship (portal) around. As the outside object moves, it changes the value (I think v4? I forget) of the inside portal's 'to room'. The outside one itself doesn't need to change as it always goes to the same ship.
The portals:
'A small skiff is here.' on one end, vs say 'the gangplank' or something else on the inside.

This approach doesn't allow for ship to ship fighting, yet, but that could be allowed by using grappling hooks or such (then changing the exits off the side to the other ship etc). Hadn't //blah'd that out yet though.
22 Jan, 2010, Kayle wrote in the 5th comment:
jurdendurden said:
I've been working on the same sort of setup for my mud. It's not perfected/complete but it's pretty close. I couldn't find any mud codebase out there that really tickled my pickle as far as features concerning ships, with one exception, the SWFOTE Fuss codebase.

The only issue there is that the ships are space ships and there's a lot of extraneous stuff involved that I didn't need. So I stripped it down and have been working on porting it to my mud since. If anything check out this codebase just to get an idea of what could be involved for what you might want. They include several rooms, weapons upgrades, and some other nice features.

Be Very. Very. Very. Careful with this approach. SWR/SWFotE Space code is fundamentally flawed in the math department. And if you're tinkering with it, you need to be aware of those issues, so that you can fix them, or rewrite the code entirely without said errors. This topic details most of the issues, but there might be one or two others scattered about the forums at SmaugMuds.org that cover the issues more.
0.0/5