29 Nov, 2009, Lobotomy wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
To put it as succinctly as possible: If I cared to know what was said on IMC, I would actually log in to IMC. Why am I being forced to view this crap when I check Mudbytes, and why isn't there an option to disable it? :mad:
29 Nov, 2009, Kayle wrote in the 2nd comment:
IMC is as much a part of MudBytes as the code repository. It is after all, the MudBytes IMC2 Network.
29 Nov, 2009, kiasyn wrote in the 3rd comment:
Lobotomy said:
To put it as succinctly as possible: If I cared to know what was said on IMC, I would actually log in to IMC. Why am I being forced to view this crap when I check Mudbytes, and why isn't there an option to disable it? :mad:

I suspect theres a lot of stuff said on IMC that a lot of people would be interested in, but they don't bother looking. By placing 3 lines of text on the front page I am hoping to spark more interest in IMC :)

Edit: Also, if you posted your feedback more calmy, and less angry psychopath like, it wouldn't seem so outrageous. Just some feedback on your feedback.
29 Nov, 2009, Dean wrote in the 4th comment:
You could always just not look at that area. :wink:
29 Nov, 2009, Mudder wrote in the 5th comment:
I like it.
29 Nov, 2009, quixadhal wrote in the 6th comment:
CAN HAS IMC?
29 Nov, 2009, Runter wrote in the 7th comment:
I see nothing wrong with it. It is, after all, endorsed and hosted by mudbytes.
29 Nov, 2009, Idealiad wrote in the 8th comment:
Indeed, not everyone hits the front page. I always enter via the recent posts link in the forum, for example.
29 Nov, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 9th comment:
I think it's a nice idea, and as Kiasyn said will hopefully spark more interest in IMC. No need to get all wrath-of-god-angry about it. :wink:
29 Nov, 2009, Mudder wrote in the 10th comment:
Idealiad said:
Indeed, not everyone hits the front page. I always enter via the recent posts link in the forum, for example.

One might say you prefer the back door.
29 Nov, 2009, Idealiad wrote in the 11th comment:
:devil:
29 Nov, 2009, Tyche wrote in the 12th comment:
Lobotomy said:

Agreed. IMC causes cancer.
29 Nov, 2009, Cratylus wrote in the 13th comment:
I don't think it's especially stupid, but I think that without language rules, you're
going to quite frequently have off-putting material hanging around the front
page, doing exactly the opposite of what you want.

Since you're adamantly opposed to language rules on ichat I don't see
this changing, but you really should consider that there is a conflict
between trying to widen the imc audience but at the same time advertising
crude language.

At the very least, though, I think that the displayed lines should read from
the top down chronologically, in the manner that chats display in nearly
every client I'm aware of. People read from top to bottom, and reading logs
from bottom to top might be pleasing to some but quite nonstandard and
a silly default.

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net
29 Nov, 2009, Koron wrote in the 14th comment:
Definitely. Due to the nature of the mud-beast, the order being used now is not intuitive.
29 Nov, 2009, Mudder wrote in the 15th comment:
I think this order is essential. It keeps the most recent towards the top where it is viewable by the masses.

There is also a timestamp for any confused individual. Perhaps this non-standard way of display will show that we here at Mudbytes are not slaves to standards and are able and willing to make changes if they're better. :unclesam:
29 Nov, 2009, Cratylus wrote in the 16th comment:
Mudder said:
I think this order is essential. It keeps the most recent towards the top where it is viewable by the masses.

The usefulness of this is debatable. However it is completely moot in a 3 line display.

Mudder said:
Perhaps this non-standard way of display will show that we here at Mudbytes are not slaves to standards and are able and willing to make changes if they're better. :unclesam:

Being weird just to be weird is fine if the thing being provided is just for a few weirdoes. I assume,
however, that the idea isn't just catering to oddball preferences, but widening uptake. That being
the case, being normal is actually a pretty good idea.

-Crat
29 Nov, 2009, Skol wrote in the 17th comment:
Cratylus said:
I don't think it's especially stupid, but I think that without language rules, you're
going to quite frequently have off-putting material hanging around the front
page, doing exactly the opposite of what you want.

Since you're adamantly opposed to language rules on ichat I don't see
this changing, but you really should consider that there is a conflict
between trying to widen the imc audience but at the same time advertising
crude language.

At the very least, though, I think that the displayed lines should read from
the top down chronologically, in the manner that chats display in nearly
every client I'm aware of. People read from top to bottom, and reading logs
from bottom to top might be pleasing to some but quite nonstandard and
a silly default.

-Crat

I haven't looked at it, but you could always put a censor on the output that gets posted on MudBytes, to avoid it having a negative impact at times when people want to swear.
29 Nov, 2009, bbailey wrote in the 18th comment:
kiasyn said:
I suspect theres a lot of stuff said on IMC that a lot of people would be interested in, but they don't bother looking. By placing 3 lines of text on the front page I am hoping to spark more interest in IMC :)

Really, I'm not sure the usual banal (or worse, Charles) conversation is the sort of thing you want to be showcasing as an advertisement for the network.

Additionally, I'm waiting to see how long it takes before people start trying to get in the last, more inane than usual, word at the end of the typical activity cycles to get their mudname on the front page.

(Cue suggestion to make mudnames links. :rolleyes:)
29 Nov, 2009, Cratylus wrote in the 19th comment:
bbailey said:
Really, I'm not sure the usual banal (or worse, Charles) conversation is the sort of thing you want to be showcasing as an advertisement for the network.

He's banned :(

Nafe too :((

No decrease in banality tho.

bbailey said:
Additionally, I'm waiting to see how long it takes before people start trying to get in the last, more inane than usual, word at the end of the typical activity cycles to get their mudname on the front page.

Yeah, silly gamesmanship had occurred to me too, but I dunno that it's a disqualifier…I'd
be interested to see how it works out, really.

Skol said:
I haven't looked at it, but you could always put a censor on the output that gets posted on MudBytes, to avoid it having a negative impact at times when people want to swear.

A cursefilter strikes me as a good idea that shouldn't be hard to implement for the front page.

-Crat
29 Nov, 2009, bbailey wrote in the 20th comment:
Cratylus said:
bbailey said:

He's banned :(

Nafe too :((

No decrease in banality tho.

Charles finally got the full hammah instead of the wishy-washy 'b& but only thru Talon hurr' thing? Sadness. There goes my dream of sticking him and Nafe in a room together and waiting for the singularity to form.
0.0/71