23 Nov, 2009, KaVir wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
With December rapidly approaching, I was wondering if any of you are planning any special Christmas events on your muds, or can think of any particularly cool events you've seen in the past. I'm trying to think up something new for my "Winterland" area (which is populated with Christmas-themed mobs), but I'm struggling for inspiration.
23 Nov, 2009, Dean wrote in the 2nd comment:
I had planned to do a christmas zone with things like Ten-Penguin bowling and Santa giving out a few christmas-y related quests, as well as a couple of shops (one that sold rare items requested by players, the other xmas themed items). Alas, with the amount of content I still have to build, I can't see squeezing it. So I'll probably just do a few events here and there. Nothing too fancy. :tongue:
23 Nov, 2009, tphegley wrote in the 3rd comment:
For halloween, we did an epic area full of scary movie themes. Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween, Last house on the left, Saw, Jason, and at the very end, the Great Pumpkin from Charlie Brown..heh. Our builders went the extra mile on it.

I made a couple new spells and put them into pills for the players to get. Mike Myer's Stamina, Freddie's Fright, stuff like that. Players loved it.

For Christmas we'll probably do something similar if we have time.
23 Nov, 2009, Omega wrote in the 4th comment:
I give gifts out at different times of the year, the code does it by itself, detects who was given the present and who wasn't.

When players open the presents, they get cute little gifts, that they cannot sell or give away.

For christmas we have a couple fun items that spawn from the gifts.

Santa's suit - Heavy Fire Resistance
Milk & Cookies - Increases player stats by 20 for 24 hours.
rudolfs red nose secret - Light that causes everyone in the room with it to be affected by Faerie Fire
raindeer horns - Weapon - set to the players level (when they open the present)
And a few others.

We also have it so that during christmas, the mud colors all the mobs names in the traditional red/green/blue.

On christmas day, we have a Santa Mob that travels throughout the mud, healing players.

We also have it so that all the mobs on that day, 'go to sleep' they are set to the sleeping position, agressiveness is obviously turned off, they don't wander, they just sit/wait for santa.. And ofcourse, in turn, become completely pwnable, for 3 turns until they can recover from the sleep, then the fight is on. Should they win, they go back to sleep. Should they lose, they have a higher chance to drop random items (20% higher)

There are also some other things we do on christmas, but there just isn't a point in putting them all out there.

Needless to say, we have things setup for several holidays, and afew special days.

Halloween, Christmas, Easter, Thanks Giving, Remeberance Day. Afew canadian events here - Boxing Day, which is now Boxing week - (all stores have huge sales) Nick Day - A day to celebrate my friend nick who died, he was a ripe bastard who got chills/thrills from slaughtering people in the mud, so, on that day, we give everyone*100 damage, and remove all level guards to stop fighting…. Its what he liked the most :P

Anyways, we also celebrate my birthday, and the muds 'birthday' if you will. Essentaily there is an event a month (at least).

So anyways, some 'not on my mud' idea's would be like, area's that can only be accessed during christmas, like 'santa's work shop' and 'the raindeer pen' stuff that comes around once a year, stuff that players cannot quit in, if they do, they just arrive back at their hometown. Simple things like that, really help spruce it up.

Perhaps magic portals appear throughout the mud to other area's of the mud that are significantly hard to get to. Or all corpses turn into presents. Perhaps Turn killing off for the day. Make mobs walk around singing christmas tunes. IF you use MSP with music, change the muds music to that of christmas music.

Add in winter weather effects, blizzards, whiteouts so you cannot see where your going, make all npc's snowmen that throw snowballs from other rooms and damage you. Have the Evil Spirit of christmas rain disaster on the world, and give players quests to kill him and restore the balance.

(quests = a good way to go)

Like, quest to santa's work shop and steal his new prototype sleigh, or kidnap rudolph, (or kill rudolph) or rescue rudolph, the list goes on. Someting christmasy along any of these lines, I know as a player, and as an admin, players would heavily enjoy.
23 Nov, 2009, shasarak wrote in the 5th comment:
Darien said:

Heavy frost resistance, surely? Or do you think he's in the habit of going down chimneys while the fire is still lit?
23 Nov, 2009, Dean wrote in the 6th comment:
shasarak said:
Darien said:

Heavy frost resistance, surely? Or do you think he's in the habit of going down chimneys while the fire is still lit?

I'd say that it's an occupational hazard he is likely to encounter from time to time. :wink:
23 Nov, 2009, Omega wrote in the 7th comment:
Resists fire because of the chimneys, you guessed it shasarak.

Then again, in my mud, we also give out a christmas nuclear bomb, but then again, you can blow up entire cities, so things don't necessarily need to make much in the way of sense :P

But we still try to have a good time.
23 Nov, 2009, Scandum wrote in the 8th comment:
I used to enable hallucination on April 1 so combat would look like:
Your combination punch misses a twinkie.
Your haymaker tickles the world for 468hp.
Your fist blow misses a fortune cookie.
Your haymaker misses Bubba.
Your haymaker misses the wind.
Your sucker punch misses your alter ego.
Your fist blow tickles a voice in your head for 413hp.
You dodge a voice in your head's attack.
Your fist blow misses the ground.
Your sucker punch misses a white rabbit.
Your shadow trips you and you go down!
You dodge your index finger's attack.

For christmas there was the greeting screen:
{078}  *  X   !   X   !   X   !   X   !   .   !   X   !   X   !   X   !   X   *
{878} * O O O O .|. O O O O *
{878} * Vrolijk Kerstfeest -*- Gelukkig Nieuwjaar! *
{878} * Athbhliain Faoi Mhaise! '|' _ Happy New Year! *
{878} * Inpakaramaana Vidumurai! *:* ("D Chag Sameach! *
{878} * Frohliche Weihnachten! * . * -(=r Boas Festas! *
{878} * Sarbatori Fericite! ** ** …/__\ Gut Yontif! *
{878} * Joyous Solstice! *** o *** [MJ] Iyi YIllar! *
{878} * Mele Kalikimake! *\ O * Hyvaeae Lomaa! *
{878} * Merry Christmas! ** \\ ** Wesolych Swiat! *
{878} * Happy Hanukkah! *** \\ *** Stastny Novy Rok! *
{878} * Pari Artsagourt! * o \\ * Kellemes Unnepeket! *
{878} * Shub Naya Baras! ** O \\** Blwyddyn Newydd Dda! *
{878} * Vesele Vanoce! ***\\ o \*** Ching Chi Shen Tan! *
{878} * Feliz Navidad! * \\ o * Felichan Jarfinon! *
{878} * Joyeux Noel! ** o \\ O ** Joy to the World *
{878} * Bon Nadal! **** \\ o **** Felic, Any Nou! *
{878} * Bom Natal! ** o o \\ o ** Feliz An-o Nuevo! *
{878} * Buon natale * o \ o * Felice Anno Nuovo! *
{878} * God Jul! o_ ***************************** e@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
{878} * _ <' )- ___ ##### _v_ @@@"""""""""""""*
{878} * /<- ["""] V o [___] _@_ #####__|-|_ A @" ___ ___________
{878} * %'= @|HHH|[-] U |\ /|/^##[{}{}{}{](") ! II__[w] | [i] [z] |
{878} * %' ) /%|HHH||$|/V\|XXX|—–##[}{}{}{}](:)<*> {======|_|———|
{878} * %(__6 |==D|HHH||$|\|/ \|=====##[{}{}{}{](:) V /oO–000'"'-OO—OO-'

Don't think it can get any lamer than that.
23 Nov, 2009, Mudder wrote in the 9th comment:
Lol, I like the ascii art + different languages.
23 Nov, 2009, Lyanic wrote in the 10th comment:
I keep a running list of prototypes for experimental items and NPCs. I usually load them up during holidays (particularly the Thanksgiving through New Years stretch). The more popular ones tend to get implemented as regular game features later on. One of the most popular ones ever was a zombie apocalypse. It was a test 'necromancy' command I gave myself that would resurrect any corpse as a zombified version of its former self (applied a zombie template on top of the original NPC's template). It's now controlled by an NPC called the Draconian Lich, and it's heavily integrated into the game's storyline. Probably the most popular one I have running right now that has yet to be added as a regular game feature is the Golden Turkey Hunt. The Golden Turkey is very fleet-footed with lots of life points, thus takes quite a while to catch and kill (not much of a threat, though). The kill grants a large amount of experience points, its hide sells for a small fortune (obtained via 'skin' skill) and its meat has unparalleled restorative abilities (obtained via 'butcher' command). The players get in fights over who gets to kill it, constantly trying to sabotage each other's efforts. Last year there was an absolutely epic scenario: One player had led/drug the Golden Turkey to some distant area, far off the beaten path, to try to collect all the spoils alone. What he didn't realize was that another player had been shadowing him the whole time, just silently waiting. He incapacitated the Golden Turkey and was taking his sweet time with it, as he thought no one knew where he was. That's when the other player jumped out of the shadows, stole the kill, grabbed the corpse and ran away with it. It was just classic…
0.0/10