26 Jun, 2009, Mabus wrote in the 121st comment:
Votes: 0
kiasyn said:
Not flamebait or anything here, but why Samson? I made the crawler and Davion was working on integration, Samson had nothing to do with it? Why PM him? Why not PM all of us?

I haven't had to deal with any of you, really. But although I may occasionally disagree with Samson I always liked his business demeanor and respect him.

I knew he was an admin here, and debated doing the PM to all the admins, but having never done a CC PM here was unsure of the syntax or whether it would work.
26 Jun, 2009, kiasyn wrote in the 122nd comment:
Fair enough - will have a 'contact admins' link available at some point in the future.
26 Jun, 2009, Guest wrote in the 123rd comment:
Mabus said:
I should have never PM'ed Samson that there might be an issue.

Well, you shouldn't have *ONLY* PM'd me, because I think it's been fairly clear before that I've really got very little to do with our MSSP operations. I had to relay your complaint, and since the other guys were all asleep at the time, wasn't much I could do.

I should have never come here and posted a question expecting anything but trouble.

It might have gone over a little better if you'd simply given us time to look at it. This thread was already 5 pages long by the time I got back online today to even start looking. It takes time to coordinate with people in multiple timezones in 3 countries on two different continents.

h106.14.20.98.dynamic.ip.windstream.net
Out of Texarkana, AR.

abuse@windstream.net already has a copy of the new log, and has responded with two emails.

Very funny.

Someone should probably tell them that the supposed abuse from whatever source that is (it's not us) is no more or less damaging than being search bot bombed by Google and Yahoo.
26 Jun, 2009, Davion wrote in the 124th comment:
Actually, PMing Samson was the right thing to do! But threatening us with legal action when we weren't doing anything wrong, wasn't. Don't expect to many kind responses after that. Considering we give you what we can for free, and you treat us like this when we make a mistake, is uncalled for.

EDIT: For those who aren't privvy to this information, we have a pinned topic in the General Forum labled Contacting MudBytes Administrators
26 Jun, 2009, Confuto wrote in the 125th comment:
Do MUDs elect to be listed, or are they sought out and added?
26 Jun, 2009, Davion wrote in the 126th comment:
We only crawl MUDs submitted to us via our mudlist
26 Jun, 2009, Runter wrote in the 127th comment:
Mabus doesn't like my crawler. Let's see if windstream techs consider a ping every minute or two a DoS. ;)

I was going to turn it off before I went to bed but I think I'll leave it on indefinitely. Unlike mudbytes my crawler policy is "deal with it."

Btw, if that doesn't work you might try going to your local police station and reporting it. Once you finally get to someone who knows what they're talking about you may very well be laughed out of their office.
26 Jun, 2009, Confuto wrote in the 128th comment:
Right. Right, so keeping in mind that this is all moot because MB isn't the source of the offending connections:

@Mabus: If you volunteer your MUD to be crawled and are capable of opting-out of that crawling by removing your MUD from this list… those connections aren't abuse. You elected to have them and you can very easily elect not to have them.

EDIT: Ninja'd :(
26 Jun, 2009, Mabus wrote in the 129th comment:
Runter said:
Mabus doesn't like my crawler. Let's see if windstream techs consider a ping every minute or two a DoS. ;)

I was going to turn it off before I went to bed but I think I'll leave it on indefinitely. Unlike mudbytes my crawler policy is "deal with it."

Cease and Desist.

I will be contacting my attorney tomorrow.
26 Jun, 2009, Mabus wrote in the 130th comment:
Davion said:
Actually, PMing Samson was the right thing to do!

I did so privately, in case someone was merely spoofing the IP addy, or there was another issue that needed addressing. I felt it was the right thing to do.
Davion said:
But threatening us with legal action when we weren't doing anything wrong, wasn't. Don't expect to many kind responses after that. Considering we give you what we can for free, and you treat us like this when we make a mistake, is uncalled for.

Being demeaned for asking a question about spam from a protocol I did not request was uncalled for.

Having another poster from this "community" then decide to continue to attack my server was uncalled for.

I came here and politely asked for information, and look what I have been met with.
26 Jun, 2009, Runter wrote in the 131st comment:
Mabus said:
Runter said:

Cease and Desist.

Rofl. Well, I can assure you that if you had asked me to stop I would have. But there's absolutely *no way* I'm backing down to this type of ridiculous threat.
26 Jun, 2009, Kayle wrote in the 132nd comment:
Mabus said:
Runter said:

Cease and Desist.

I lol'd. Seriously. I lol'd.
26 Jun, 2009, Mabus wrote in the 133rd comment:
Kayle said:

I expect that from script kiddies.
26 Jun, 2009, Banner wrote in the 134th comment:
Wow. I can't believe I missed all of this. There was some serious LOL in this thread.
26 Jun, 2009, Mabus wrote in the 135th comment:
Runter said:
Mabus said:
Runter said:

Cease and Desist.

Rofl. Well, I can assure you that if you had asked me to stop I would have. But there's absolutely *no way* I'm backing down to this type of ridiculous threat.

Quoted for future reference. Thank you for admitting the attack on a public forum.
26 Jun, 2009, Kayle wrote in the 136th comment:
Mabus said:
Kayle said:

I expect that from script kiddies.

I take offense to that. At least I know what a DoS attack is.
120.0/136