06 Jun, 2009, Runter wrote in the 81st comment:
Votes: 0
Emmu said:
Why are you looking at 3 year old snippets?

And as long as you're here, I found another interesting bit: If FFC uses this mapper, this exact same mapper, why am I looking at grey and white waves?

Because I was writing map code in ruby and just decided to look at the snippets out there. Do you read every snippet in this repository when it is written?
06 Jun, 2009, Runter wrote in the 82nd comment:
Emmu said:

And as long as you're here, I found another interesting bit: If FFC uses this mapper, this exact same mapper, why am I looking at grey and white waves? Sure there's some dark cyan in there, but last I checked white was W, not C

Because whoever put up this FFC put up an old version of it. Nobody disputes that. This olc FFC is also a version of my mapper before it was written not to be recursive or before the newest owner got ahold of it.
06 Jun, 2009, Runter wrote in the 83rd comment:
Asylumius said:
I think you guys just invented a new sport: Speed Trolling. We've had some really lame threads on here before, but 6 pages since midnight? I slept through the WHOLE flame war! <3 Internet.

I think the fact that the snippet has been removed speaks for itself. I didn't bring this dispute to the forum but I'm happy to defend my position.
06 Jun, 2009, Emmu wrote in the 84th comment:
Runter said:
Emmu said:

And as long as you're here, I found another interesting bit: If FFC uses this mapper, this exact same mapper, why am I looking at grey and white waves? Sure there's some dark cyan in there, but last I checked white was W, not C

Because whoever put up this FFC put up an old version of it. Nobody disputes that. This olc FFC is also a version of my mapper before it was written not to be recursive or before the newest owner got ahold of it.

If this is the version that Hades and Erdrick have, why wouldn't Midboss have THIS version of the mapper, since it's so much easier to come by? You're jumping to conclusions too quickly.
06 Jun, 2009, Runter wrote in the 85th comment:
Emmu said:
Runter said:
Emmu said:

If this is the version that Hades and Erdrick have, why wouldn't Midboss have THIS version of the mapper, since it's so much easier to come by? You're jumping to conclusions too quickly.

Sounds like YOU are jumping to conclusions too fast. Midboss was an immortal on FFC before it got shut down indefinitely. He had access when he wrote the code to my updated code. Not the crap thats floating around now.

I'm not jumping to conclusions. The code midboss posted is IDENTACAL to the code that I wrote years ago. Just repackaged with new comments. There is no doubt. You can only dispute my credibility when I say it is my code.
06 Jun, 2009, Emmu wrote in the 86th comment:
Runter said:
Sounds like YOU are jumping to conclusions too fast. Midboss was an immortal on FFC before it got shut down indefinitely. He had access when he wrote the code to my updated code. Not the crap thats floating around now.

I'm not jumping to conclusions. The code midboss posted is IDENTACAL to the code that I wrote years ago. Just repackaged with new comments. There is no doubt. You can only dispute my credibility when I say it is my code.

Well someone's credibility is at stake here, and since my chat logs match up pretty well with Hades', and I was on FFC with Mid the whole time, I'd have to say yours is looking pretty shaky. Though, not being a programmer myself, I'd have to see the code in action to be sure. Has anyone imped this thing on a live mud? PM me if so.
06 Jun, 2009, Asylumius wrote in the 87th comment:
Provide some evidence someone like me (who has no damn clue what's going on here) can understand and interpret, or take this crap off the forums. By evidence, I mean snippets, logs, etc. If you haven't got that, take it to PMs, IMC, or whatever, but this is getting silly. None of you are actually making any progress in your arguments, and the back and forth is getting old.
06 Jun, 2009, Emmu wrote in the 88th comment:
AIM's in my profile. But I suppose if there was any reason I or anyone else who knows Mid should believe you, you would have confronted him directly about it. If you're actually interested in getting to the bottom of this, you should contact me. However if you're too blinded by your own ego to see there's an extremely good chance you might be wrong, feel free to brush me off.

Also, anyone interested in helping me get to the bottom of this should fire up a mud with that mapper on it. I need to see something.
06 Jun, 2009, Runter wrote in the 89th comment:
Emmu said:
AIM's in my profile. But I suppose if there was any reason I or anyone else who knows Mid should believe you, you would have confronted him directly about it. If you're actually interested in getting to the bottom of this, you should contact me. However if you're too blinded by your own ego to see there's an extremely good chance you might be wrong, feel free to brush me off.

Also, anyone interested in helping me get to the bottom of this should fire up a mud with that mapper on it. I need to see something.

Comparing it to FFC code proves nothing if that is what you are trying to say. The code circulating with FFC, which everyone knows I wrote as well, was version 1. The recursive version. This was the next version written to not be recursive.

If Midboss really wants to we can all sit down and go over the code line by line and explain what obscure variable names mean. And what the code does, line for line. I can do it. I wrote it. Can he? Will he? Doubtful.
06 Jun, 2009, Runter wrote in the 90th comment:
Asylumius said:
Provide some evidence someone like me (who has no damn clue what's going on here) can understand and interpret, or take this crap off the forums. By evidence, I mean snippets, logs, etc. If you haven't got that, take it to PMs, IMC, or whatever, but this is getting silly. None of you are actually making any progress in your arguments, and the back and forth is getting old.

I don't think anyones arm is being twisted to read this thread.

That being said, I am willing to drop it. I was always trying to handle this in a classy, private way.
Rest assured I'll continue to defend myself wherever I have to. I'm the one wronged here.
06 Jun, 2009, flumpy wrote in the 91st comment:
As a fellow programmer, I can honestly say that it is entirely obvious when you look at your code that it is your own. Although your coding style may change slightly over the years, it's a bit like reading handwriting. I expect if you took that allegedly stolen snipped, and compared it to another peice of runters code, you would see pretty soon whether it was his or not.

I'm not just talking about "style" in the sense of layout of the code; it's little things like variable names, loop syntax, function length and so on. They are all pretty unique to an individual programmer.

Mid may believe the code isn't runters. He may even have thought he was doing a good thing at the time… but it will be obvious to anyone who knows runter's coding style it will be his. Wherever he got it from, whatever happened is actually entirely irrelevant, all that matters is if the code was stolen.

And as a programmer, I can say that although stolen code is annoying, I wouldn't (like runter) actually give two tosses that it was stolen. What would be far more annoying is the someone who stole it saying they wrote it. It's like having a love letter I sent to my wife read out in public and then have the reader (thief) claim he wrote it. It really sucks, and hurts.

Indeed it seems to me, as a third party who has only just joined these forums, that this would be why I would tend to side with runter in this. He has no reason to accuse Mid, Mid started the thread, and I can only assume Mid (even if he didn't steal it off of runter but got it off somewhere else) is now just trying to stir up trouble because a) he knows he was wrong b) he's probably in a place where he now has to make it look like it was his because he uploaded the code fallaciously and c) he feels hard done by that it was taken down.

Well, he's certainly managed to do it. Lets just stop this thread right now, and not give him any more of a laugh eh?
06 Jun, 2009, Cratylus wrote in the 92nd comment:

All righty, let's put em side by side then.

I mean, HK has laid out why he feels it's unlikely that
Midboss could/would have stoled it, right?

You're saying "He just did, I can tell from pixels."

Well, let's see em side by side. We're smart people, we'll
be able to tell.

HK has laid out reasoned arguments to support his position,
you've basically insisted that people take your word on
your comparison. Give us a little credit and put the code
side by side so we can decide for ourselves.

Or, you know. Give it a rest already. I mean srsly, what's
the lines-of-code to drama ratio on this thing?

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net
06 Jun, 2009, Emmu wrote in the 93rd comment:
Runter said:
Comparing it to FFC code proves nothing if that is what you are trying to say. The code circulating with FFC, which everyone knows I wrote as well, was version 1. The recursive version. This was the next version written to not be recursive.

Not quite what I'm trying to do. And I noticed you're still here and not on AIM, meaning you still want this to be out in the open.

flumpy said:
Indeed it seems to me, as a third party who has only just joined these forums, that this would be why I would tend to side with runter in this. He has no reason to accuse Mid, Mid started the thread, and I can only assume Mid (even if he didn't steal it off of runter but got it off somewhere else) is now just trying to stir up trouble because a) he knows he was wrong b) he's probably in a place where he now has to make it look like it was his because he uploaded the code fallaciously and c) he feels hard done by that it was taken down.

Just who the hell are you to be picking a side? Especially when it's the wrong one. 1. You're new here, 2. There is no possible way you could have any idea what happened 3 years ago, and 3. You don't know Mid or his reasons for making a thread (hint: it was for the lulz)
06 Jun, 2009, Cratylus wrote in the 94th comment:
06 Jun, 2009, Dean wrote in the 95th comment:
Epic post by Crat. :biggrin:
06 Jun, 2009, Emmu wrote in the 96th comment:
Ok i walked into that one. What can I say, I lurk and see what people have to say about Mid's snippets. Since the deepest I've gone is building in OLC for like a day, I didn't have much to say and I didn't join. But I have known about this place since it was founded.
06 Jun, 2009, Asylumius wrote in the 97th comment:
Emmu said:
Ok i walked into that one. What can I say, I lurk and see what people have to say about Mid's snippets. Since the deepest I've gone is building in OLC for like a day, I didn't have much to say and I didn't join. But I have known about this place since it was founded.

You've been lurking on MudBytes for 3 years just to hear what people say about another guy's snippets? You're kind of a weirdo.
06 Jun, 2009, Banner wrote in the 98th comment:
Emmu said:
Just who the hell are you to be picking a side? Especially when it's the wrong one. 1. You're new here, 2. There is no possible way you could have any idea what happened 3 years ago, and 3. You don't know Mid or his reasons for making a thread (hint: it was for the lulz)

I believe Flumpy has been here longer than you. An established member of the community is someone that has created an account and contributes, not lurks as a guest. In my own opinion.

I can honestly say that I haven't known Runter for a long time, and I don't know Midboss at all, but I can say that Runter is an excellent programmer and I don't see any reason for him to claim someone has stolen his code just to do it. He obviously already has the code, and what purpose would he have to claim Midboss stole it other than to defend himself and claim his own innocence? And the possibilites of them writing the same exact code using the same exact methods? Impossible, but who wrote it first?

If the snippet was indeed removed, then perhaps someone felt that Runter was correct in his statements and there is truth behind what he says. As has been stated previously several times, however, this thread is going nowhere without logs or proof of any wrongdoing by either party, and bringing it up in public without said proof is of no use to any of us exluding the two involved.
06 Jun, 2009, Emmu wrote in the 99th comment:
Asylumius said:
You've been lurking on MudBytes for 3 years just to hear what people say about another guy's snippets? You're kind of a weirdo.

I just checked on Mid's stuff for like a week after he posts it, and read any fun drama threads he sends me. Like this one.
06 Jun, 2009, Cratylus wrote in the 100th comment:
80.0/115