30 Apr, 2009, Kelvin wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I'm not sure who to bug about this, but it'd be awesome if we could get a channel created for Evennia, the Python codebase that has crept its way on to IMC. I'd really like to have a separate channel that we can talk Evennia-specific stuff without spamming ichat and icode with stuff that is of absolutely no interest or value to the other users. It'd be a lot easier than juggling a bunch of MUD windows and connecting to the different test games out there.

I guess a private channel or something would suffice if at all possible. I'd just much rather use MudBytes than have to deal with setting up another IMC server that wouldn't be nearly as trafficked.
30 Apr, 2009, Davion wrote in the 2nd comment:
If… I could figure out how to make a channel, I'd whip one up for you. I'm sure Kayle'll see this and create one. But a humble request, don't make it private. I've been pretty interested in the Evennia project since you announced it here. Just make like, ievennia and those who don't like it can turn it off ;)
30 Apr, 2009, Kelvin wrote in the 3rd comment:
I'd be fine with a public channel, I just wasn't sure how channel creation requests are handled. We've got a few people developing right now, and there's a lot of game-hopping to discuss stuff. This would make it much easier and would hopefully help bring in some new faces to IMC.

Thanks for the reply and the interest, we're working hard to get this thing ready for show time.
Davion said:
If… I could figure out how to make a channel, I'd whip one up for you. I'm sure Kayle'll see this and create one. But a humble request, don't make it private. I've been pretty interested in the Evennia project since you announced it here. Just make like, ievennia and those who don't like it can turn it off ;)
01 May, 2009, Davion wrote in the 4th comment:
The channel has been created! All you have to do now is just turn it on. (imclisten ievennia)
01 May, 2009, Kelvin wrote in the 5th comment:
Excellent, but I'm not seeing it in the channel listing and talking on it gives me a message like:
ICE@Server01 IMC tells: You're trying to talk on a channel that you don't have access to.

Any pointers would be great, thanks!
Davion said:
The channel has been created! All you have to do now is just turn it on. (imclisten ievennia)
01 May, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 6th comment:
(Top-posting is bad enough in email, but in a forum… :wink:)
01 May, 2009, Mabus wrote in the 7th comment:
David Haley said:
(Top-posting is bad enough in email, but in a forum… :wink:)

Most email programs place the original text under the new message on a reply, so I do not see how that is "bad".

I agree that it is an unusual style on a forum (at least the ones I visit), but couldn't this have been a PM rather then a negative public comment? It doesn't seem to be a issue, or a pattern.
01 May, 2009, Cratylus wrote in the 8th comment:
Mabus said:
I agree that it is an unusual style on a forum (at least the ones I visit), but couldn't this have been a PM rather then a negative public comment? It doesn't seem to be a issue, or a pattern.

But it does seem to be a joke.

-Crat
01 May, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 9th comment:
Mabus said:
Most email programs place the original text under the new message on a reply, so I do not see how that is "bad".

Well…
A: Because we read from top to bottom, left to right.
Q: Why should I start my reply below the quoted text?

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

A: The lost context.
Q: What makes top-posted replies harder to read than bottom-posted?

A: Yes.
Q: Should I trim down the quoted part of an email to which I'm replying?

As for why it was a post instead of a PM, well, the main reason is that I didn't think it was a terribly evil or negative thing to say – apologies to Kelvin if he took offense – and Captain Obvious Points to Crat (poke) for recognizing the lightheartedness of the post – but since you seem to be asking seriously: as with pretty much everything on a forum, corrections are made in public so that everybody can benefit from it. (It's happened before, although I'll agree that it doesn't happen very often.)
01 May, 2009, Davion wrote in the 10th comment:
Well, seems to be fixed now Kelvin… that is, for everyone but Cratylus.
02 May, 2009, Kelvin wrote in the 11th comment:
Similarly lighthearted, I am going to disregard David's "correction" :)

Thanks, Davion. I'll be getting our handful of developers set up on this shortly. You're not going to be able to see which games are on the channel just yet (I haven't implemented ice-chan-whoreply just yet), but we'll get that handled soon.
Davion said:
Well, seems to be fixed now Kelvin… that is, for everyone but Cratylus.
0.0/11