02 Apr, 2009, Lyanic wrote in the 41st comment:
Votes: 0
David Haley said:
I would be against forcing the player into doing something that could have long-lasting negative effects, unless it's very clear that that's part of the deal.

It would be quite clear. And the player would always have ways to avoid being forced into doing something, which makes it questionable as to whether the player was really forced to do something or made a choice to have it happen.

Tyche said:
Let's just say that players of hack-n-slash, adventure, and RPI games do share a common reverence for the SYSTEM. The are far less likely to balk at a temporary loss of character control if the SYSTEM is behind it as opposed to the STAFF or another PLAYER. :-)

KaVir said:
A game is defined by its rules. Rules, by their very nature, restrict choice. If you don't force any rules upon the players or their characters, you won't have any gameplay, because you won't have a "game", just a social environment.

Exactly - anything the SYSTEM does is just a mechanism of the game. No matter what it is, if the SYSTEM does it, it can be considered a RULE. It's hard to get angry at the rules of a game. You knew what they were when you started playing. And, if you didn't have rules, you wouldn't have a game, and thus wouldn't be playing.

David Haley said:
Yes, until other PLAYERs can exploit loss due to the SYSTEM taking over their CHARACTER by forcing them to type words in UPPERCASE far too OFTEN. :wink: (There actually is a SERIOUS point in this post, btw.)

I'm not sure I see the serious point in it. Would you be so kind as to spell it out for those of us (read: me) who are having comprehension difficulties?

KaVir said:
Yes, forcing the character to do something is taking away choice. Lack of choice is detrimental to gameplay.

So I've heard, usually from TinyMUD fans arguing against non-consentual combat. "Other players shouldn't be allowed to kill you without your consent!"

Personally I think that's rubbish. Too much choice is just as detrimental to gameplay as too little. Can you imagine playing a game of chess where you couldn't take your opponent's playing pieces unless they agreed? Or how about a game of Monopoly where you could choose to ignore the results of the dice, and refuse to pay other players for landing on their property?

I find it funny that you countered a point I made (the quote), when you and I are actually making the same point. I really only included that lack of choice bit to be charitable. It's true to some extent, but I am a big believer in system interactivity (which generally involves forcing the character to do something or forcing something to happen to the character indirectly). Also, your examples are better than mine - the best I could come up with was the aggressive monster/combat thing.

elanthis said:
Lyanic said:
An example of this would be getting drug into combat against an aggressive monster. Yes, you could argue that the player chose to be in the same area as the monster. Then again, you could make the same argument in the drug case - the player chose to go near the drug dealer. Also, the player chose to take the drug to begin with. So, it's apparently not completely divorced from choice…

Well, see, I would consider that bad gameplay too. In most games where a monster can force a player to do something, the player is given an opportunity to cancel the action, essentially turning it into a very-mini game.

It's not bad gameplay. The player always has options: A) Fight B) Flee C) Sneak or D) Don't go near the aggressive monster to begin with. I think the gameplay would be worse without the aggressive monster dragging the player's character into combat. It adds elements of danger and excitement. The game world would be quite boring if you just wandered around freely, only endangering your character if and when you explicitly choose to.

elanthis said:
There are exceptions, yes. I think the Left 4 Dead monsters that grab the player (Smokers and Hunters) are fantastic gameplay elements… but they have a very specific purpose for their existence, and the general idea behind the game is that it's a teamwork game. If you get paralyzed and you aren't freed almost instantly by a partner, you know you (or your teammates) did something wrong… e.g., you split off from the group, or you let yourselves get surrounded. Even still, L4D gives the player plenty of opportunity to avoid being grabbed. You have sevral seconds to shoot a Smoker after he tongue-grabs you, and you can pistol whip a Hunter as he's leaping onto you.

I fail to see how this example is different at all. In both this example and mine, there is an aggressive monster attacking. The attack from the monster initiates combat. The combat is the result of the player making a mistake (going near the aggressive monster without taking measures to be stealthy). I'd also liken the pistol whipping thing to fleeing. I imagine it's only done as a means to get away…
03 Apr, 2009, elanthis wrote in the 42nd comment:
It's hard to get angry at the rules of a game. You knew what they were when you started playing.

Wow. You don't really know many gamers at all, do you? :p

In both this example and mine, there is an aggressive monster attacking.

I totally misread the "dragging into combat" part as "dragging away and made helpless" a.k.a. insta-gib. I rarely play games that really differentiate between "in combat" and "out of combat," sorry for the confusion.
03 Apr, 2009, Lyanic wrote in the 43rd comment:
elanthis said:
It's hard to get angry at the rules of a game. You knew what they were when you started playing.

Wow. You don't really know many gamers at all, do you? :p

Perhaps I should have said that it's hard to justify getting angry at the rules of the game.

Edit: 100th post! Yay! :biggrin:
06 Apr, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 44th comment:
Lyanic said:
David Haley said:
Yes, until other PLAYERs can exploit loss due to the SYSTEM taking over their CHARACTER by forcing them to type words in UPPERCASE far too OFTEN. :wink: (There actually is a SERIOUS point in this post, btw.)

I'm not sure I see the serious point in it. Would you be so kind as to spell it out for those of us (read: me) who are having comprehension difficulties?

It's quite simple really: it is one thing for a player to be hurt by the "impartial system" which is just following a known set of rules. So a player might accept being hurt as a consequence of their own mistake. But the player might get really unhappy about other players making the system do their dirty work for them. A simple example is the combination of a "shove" command (forcing somebody to go in a certain direction) and a death trap room. In this instance it is quite arguable that the shoving character has (ab)used the system to do things they wouldn't normally be able to do. There is a fine line between using the system cleverly as strategy and abusing it in ways the designers don't intend and furthermore don't want.
40.0/44